Why use more than one wire per channel?
Jan 8, 2008 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

johnanderson

100+ Head-Fier
I just recabled my D2000 yesterday and noticed that its now much brighter and bassier than before. I've read about people recabling with more than one wire per channel and for ground, usually ending up with an 8 cable braid, and I was wondering if there was any advantage to this. If I won't notice the difference vs just one wire per channel in a 4 wire braid then I won't do it, but if it'll tame the bass then I'll try it. Thanks in advance.

Jan 8, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 11
Cable resistance goes down, capacitance goes up as you make the wire thicker (by running parallel wires). You can pretty much expect some change in sound. I'm also thinking you don't have "just one wire per channel", since it's a headphone cable, aren't you using stranded cable that already does have many wires per channel?

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #3 of 11
I am using stranded so I guess it's kinda pointless for me to use more than one. Is this only for people who run solid core wires?

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 11
Not at all, doubling up stranded wires makes it a larger cable, raises capacitance and lowers resistance, not to mention depending on the geometry you have ground-signal interaction/interference to play with
smily_headphones1.gif
You can do anything you want, as for how it will actually sound is hard to tell beforehand. Usually, thicker cable with lower strand count would give slightly more detail than larger strand counts at the cost of bass impact.

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I have some experimenting to do with these headphones. I'll try and obtain some silver wire and try mixing and matching until I get what I want.

BTW FallenAngel, I was just in San Francisco two weeks ago for vacation and now its definitely one of my favorite places to go
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by barqy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is the point of double up the ground wire though?

I would say symmetry is the main reason. Considering how little current is actually being sent through these cables, you barely need a single 30AWG wire to handle it. Anything above it is just for extra headroom.

Jan 8, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 11
Actually, while increasing the number of wires in parallel is equivalent to making the wire thicker (i.e., making the AWG number lower, which reduces resistance), it does not necessarily increase capacitance. Cable capacitance is a function of the wire geometry and is across the signal and ground wires. If you weave a bunch of wires together, some of which are signal and others are ground, the close proximity between the signal and ground conductors would cause an increase in capacitive coupling (with the insulation material being the dielectric). If you use lots of wires in parallel but keep the signal and ground wires separated, then there would be little increase in capacitance, if any. Increasing the thickness of the total wiring should also decrease inductance, which is in series with both directions of the cable. But again, the physical configuration of the cable may influence this greatly, and may even increase the net inductance.

All told, the best thing to do is to keep it simple -- for headphone wires, since there is no need for a shield, it doesn't need to be coaxial, so the best configuration is simply two bundles in parallel, one for the signal and the other for the ground return. Each bundle can just be a collection of thin stranded wires for best flexibility/compliance. Fancy weaving or other exotic configurations would only serve to impress the eyes, but may actually degrade performance due to complex impedance (capacitance and inductance) issues. In severe cases they could cause the headphone amp to become unstable.

Feb 1, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, while increasing the number of wires in parallel is equivalent to making the wire thicker (i.e., making the AWG number lower, which reduces resistance), it does not necessarily increase capacitance. Cable capacitance is a function of the wire geometry and is across the signal and ground wires. If you weave a bunch of wires together, some of which are signal and others are ground, the close proximity between the signal and ground conductors would cause an increase in capacitive coupling (with the insulation material being the dielectric). If you use lots of wires in parallel but keep the signal and ground wires separated, then there would be little increase in capacitance, if any. Increasing the thickness of the total wiring should also decrease inductance, which is in series with both directions of the cable. But again, the physical configuration of the cable may influence this greatly, and may even increase the net inductance.

All told, the best thing to do is to keep it simple -- for headphone wires, since there is no need for a shield, it doesn't need to be coaxial, so the best configuration is simply two bundles in parallel, one for the signal and the other for the ground return. Each bundle can just be a collection of thin stranded wires for best flexibility/compliance. Fancy weaving or other exotic configurations would only serve to impress the eyes, but may actually degrade performance due to complex impedance (capacitance and inductance) issues. In severe cases they could cause the headphone amp to become unstable.

I intend to recable my headphones and my question is: why is there no need ofr shielding a headphones cable?

Feb 1, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifthanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I intend to recable my headphones and my question is: why is there no need ofr shielding a headphones cable?

the signal is large enough and driving a low enough impedance from a low enough source impedance that you will not pick up noise here.

if it were a low voltage signal from a high source impedance into a high impedance there is ample opportunity to absorb noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back