Why Tube Dampers For Headphone Amp Use?
Dec 1, 2009 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Clarkmc2

100+ Head-Fier
Microphonics are a translation of external vibration into signal modulation. Why would this matter with a headphone amp? Unless you are doing jumping jacks while listening or live next to a railroad line, what would be the source of the vibration? Tubes are not piezoelectric and do not vibrate on their own. I know walking across a floor can do it with a turntable, but a lot of stomping around while listening to headphones is unusual.

I will add that if a transformer hums that badly it needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Tube dampers would be a band-aid.

The usual source of vibration is the sound coming from speakers. In a really bad case it can lead to feedback oscillations, since the music vibrations are very closely related to the microphonic signal. This would not be the case with other sources of vibration.

Clark

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 19
People like cheap tweaks or the way they look. I don't remember ever reading posts about people having micro-phonic tube issues before getting them or how it fixed them, aside from that $25 tube kit thread.

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 19
There are other factors to consider.

Some people have had BAD microphonic issues from placing the amplifier on the same surface as their keyboard for their computer. with the constant tapping on the desk/whatever this is understandable. damping rings are probably not as good of a solution as an isolation platform (a proper one with a suspension, not just a 20lb slab of stone/wood on points) but that costs much more money if you cant build it yourself.

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 19
Even I never had microphonic or hum problem I put damper on my Deard/Fatman/HCT amp, the damper open up the sound, give better controled bass. I was wowed at that time. But on WA22 the damper almost did nothing, the difference was so small, I never notice any change.

Other best cheap trick is SID CD enhancer, that goes on top of your CD, about $30~$40. It really works, better sound. I never put in a CD without one.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even I never had microphonic or hum problem I put damper on my Deard/Fatman/HCT amp, the damper open up the sound, give better controled bass. I was wowed at that time. But on WA22 the damper almost did nothing, the difference was so small, I never notice any change.

Other best cheap trick is SID CD enhancer, that goes on top of your CD, about $30~$40. It really works, better sound. I never put in a CD without one.

I have a question is the CD enchancer solid or very thin vinyal that sticks on the CD?

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 19
you can get magnetostriction from power xmfrs vibrating the case - though induction loop or common impeadance coupling will usually be a bigger problem

damping the socket mount/amplifer case and mechanical isolation for power transformers seems likely better than a silicone rubber ring slipped onto the tube

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 19
When I first got my Lunch Box II a few years ago I tried tube dampers on it. It works on some tubes more than others. At first I was impressed at the increased clarity, detail and control of the bass but then I realized it took away all the warmth that is the magic of tubes.

Dec 1, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #9 of 19
It depends on the tube(s) and the amp. Regardless, microphonics is a real issue if it's bad. True, minor microphonics you can easily live with - with no prevention at all. However, there are some tubes that will continue to ring (quite loudly) for several seconds at the slightest provocation - touching the volume knob, moving the headphone cable across the table top, etc. In those cases, the addition of the tube dampers may turn an intolerable tube into a tolerable one.

What's maddening is that often the tubes whose sound you most prefer ... end up being microphonic. So, the possibility of mitigating the problem with the addition of simple tube dampers is an attractive remedy.

Dec 1, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 19
me thinks it's 80% cosmetic.. :)

Dec 1, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
me thinks it's 80% cosmetic.. :)

I'd say 95% especially with headphone amps

Dec 2, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say 95% especially with headphone amps

In my case it's 100% cosmetic.
Now does anyone know if you can get them in any funkier colors than that muddy clay red stuff?

Dec 2, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #14 of 19
Has anyone else noticed that every tweak improves bass?

I mostly agree with the OP. Microphonics are only a problem if there's vibration to begin with. If you have problems with vibration, you're usually far better off dealing with the problem directly. Move the gear away from the problem and that's all you need to do.

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone else noticed that every tweak improves bass?

Now that you mention it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back