Why the majority of your CDs sound horrible.
Jan 15, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #196 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please provide a definition or explanation of what is being shown with the spectral view.

It looks like to me it is showing the frequency weight of each sample of a passage which has little to do with the loudness issue as I understand it. The scale on the left is frequency and the density of the image seems to indicate that where the tone balance is coming from not the intensity/loudness of the sound.

Spectral analysis has everything to do with the intensity of the sound. It takes it a step further than the default waveform view.

The spectrogram plots frequency vertically, time horizontally and intensity(volume) by color. This has the unique advantage of not simply showing you what the "total" volume is, but the spread of that energy across the audible spectrum of sound. At the very bottom of the spectrogram you have 0hz, which scales linearly up to 22,050hz at the very top.

In essence, instead of being told, "This is loud" (default waveform view), you are told exactly which frequencies are loud(spectral view).

The colors which are chosen vary from application to application, but using the default audacity settings you have:
Highest Intensity: Orange-Red
Medium Intensity: Magenta
Lowest Intensity: Cyan

Look closely. This is the same track, plotted to spectral & waveform views.
wavespeccq8.jpg

Jan 15, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #198 of 217
I agree, we new two plots to show what you are talking about. One from pre-compression days and one fairly recently. I might better understand it with this type of comparison.

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seagram, please make another one of your fantastic posts on reading just plain old waveforms, what to look for, what's bad, what's good, and the like.

Jan 15, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #199 of 217
Does Color represent clipping? As I said above, provide a before and after compression example and the track name, album etc. Just attempting to understand what you are saying better.

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeagramSeven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spectral analysis has everything to do with the intensity of the sound. It takes it a step further than the default waveform view.

The spectrogram plots frequency vertically, time horizontally and intensity(volume) by color. This has the unique advantage of not simply showing you what the "total" volume is, but the spread of that energy across the audible spectrum of sound. At the very bottom of the spectrogram you have 0hz, which scales linearly up to 22,050hz at the very top.

In essence, instead of being told, "This is loud" (default waveform view), you are told exactly which frequencies are loud(spectral view).

The colors which are chosen vary from application to application, but using the default audacity settings you have:
Highest Intensity: Orange-Red
Medium Intensity: Magenta
Lowest Intensity: Cyan

Look closely. This is the same track, plotted to spectral & waveform views.
wavespeccq8.jpg

Jan 15, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #200 of 217
Third Day's 'Wherever You Are' is a bad offender. Great music, but it's hard to listen to.

Jan 15, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #201 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Severe clipping. However, it could be worse and I have seen worse. When I used to master really hot, I would compress the snot out of the track. It would look clipped, but it wasn't. I am not sure if you are hearing high pitch distortion. Having said that, both are undesirable. I am no longer for compressing the snot out of a track, but then I hear from recording/mastering people that as long as the track is not clipping, then it is OK.

Is there any way we could fix this with a program, or am I just gonna have to live with it?

Jan 15, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #202 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrupt^ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any way we could fix this with a program, or am I just gonna have to live with it?

If clipping is the problem, there is software from Sony and Adobe that can be used to 'reconstruct' chopped off sine waves. I am not sure how effective these are since I have not used them myself. For badly compressed tracks, well...there is nothing you can do about it.

Jan 15, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #203 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If clipping is the problem, there is software from Sony and Adobe that can be used to 'reconstruct' chopped off sine waves. I am not sure how effective these are since I have not used them myself. For badly compressed tracks, well...there is nothing you can do about it.

I guess its Adobe Audition software? You can download a trial version IIRC. I wonder a thing like that works...
blink.gif

Jan 16, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #205 of 217
I checked out some older cd's and noticed how the waveform was "better" and it sounded way better, the overal depth in the music is great at some of my older cd's :|

Jan 17, 2007 at 12:26 PM Post #208 of 217
Funny thing happened the other day. I found this thread and, eventhough I was aware of this loudness war, was amazed by the difference that the loudness has on a record. So I told my GF to have a listen, because she really doesn't get this hobby. I thought that once she heard the difference there is in the sound, she might finally understand why I prefer higher quality audio to some lower alternatives. I think even she was a bit excited to hear this magical thing that I was talking about.
tongue.gif

Well I played her the clip and what was the result? She claims that she heard no differences in the songs at all?!? Whoot??
blink.gif
confused.gif

I don't have no golden ears or anything, but I was so dissapointed to hear this. How could that be? Can't some people really hear anything, or is it just that she didn't care and didn't focus on the listening? I really don't know, but it was surprising to say at least
rolleyes.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #210 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaques /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I played her the clip and what was the result? She claims that she heard no differences in the songs at all?!? Whoot??
blink.gif
confused.gif

I don't have no golden ears or anything, but I was so dissapointed to hear this. How could that be? Can't some people really hear anything, or is it just that she didn't care and didn't focus on the listening? I really don't know, but it was surprising to say at least
rolleyes.gif

Sometimes it takes an extended listen to hear this stuff...it's like the brain needs the time to learn to recognize the difference. But once the difference is noticed...Wham....it will stand out from that point on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back