Why the majority of your CDs sound horrible.
Jan 14, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #121 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rapidshare free download limit reached... Rapidshare sucks ass.

Don't curse the darkness. Light a candle.

Suggest an alternative. "ABC sucks" helps no one.

Jan 14, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #123 of 217
http://www.sendspace.com/file/093msf

Updated to sendspace
rs1smile.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #128 of 217
Hey guys,

I'm using audacity right now, and in actuality, some of the waveforms do not actually correlate with sound quality. One notable offender in sound quality, Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand, (and it sounds like utter crap on my headphones), measures well on Audacity. In some cases, it does sound like crap according to graph (Opeth and noodles, sadly, for example.) And it does sound good, according to graph (The Orchard by Rose Melberg.) But, one of my best quality CDs (revealing the best of my system in sound stage, nuance, and placement of instruments) is Architecture in Helsinki, which has waveforms that sometimes don't look too good. I'm pretty sure there isn't any compression either, because the instruments and sounds almost exactly as they should (rather amazing sounding really) and if I look for changes in my system in quality, I'll use that CD. Subatomicglue, also sounds really good (techno music) but measures really badly (perhaps that's just because it's techno though...). Some of the older Judas Priest stuff also sounds just horrible or is decent, but lacking a little in dynamics, but looks good on Audacity.

What I'm trying to say is, sometimes it doesn't exactly translate into a bad CD. Other things like poor recording technique, heavy compression, and thrashing of dynamics sometimes take place and don't translate into the waveform on screen and you don't notice until it reaches your ear. For some things though, I do agree, the crappiest can be seen in full glory by looking through Audacity. Some others though can slip by, so I suggest playing the song before actually deciding if it does indeed sound like crap. I would post pictures, but it's way too cold in my computer room and my hands are freezing...so good day for now!

~Tom

Jan 14, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #129 of 217
I never knew about all this before reading this thread but WOW I am amazed at the number of "hot" tracks I have. It's no wonder I hear such discreptancies between some songs. Is anyone going to pursue that idea of a wiki containing song/album wave graphs? I think that's an absolutely terrific idea. Thanks for the informative read Head-fiers!

Jan 14, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #130 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by supermoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never knew about all this before reading this thread but WOW I am amazed at the number of "hot" tracks I have. It's no wonder I hear such discreptancies between some songs. Is anyone going to pursue that idea of a wiki containing song/album wave graphs? I think that's an absolutely terrific idea. Thanks for the informative read Head-fiers!

I have no clue how to start one, but I for one am willing to take time to analyze every last one of my CDs and contribute to the project.

Who can start this up?
frown.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #132 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I'm trying to say is, sometimes it doesn't exactly translate into a bad CD. Other things like poor recording technique, heavy compression, and thrashing of dynamics sometimes take place and don't translate into the waveform on screen and you don't notice until it reaches your ear. For some things though, I do agree, the crappiest can be seen in full glory by looking through Audacity. Some others though can slip by, so I suggest playing the song before actually deciding if it does indeed sound like crap. I would post pictures, but it's way too cold in my computer room and my hands are freezing...so good day for now!

Simply put, if it "looks good", and "sounds bad", that means you did not look closely enough, since if you did, you would notice it "looks bad".
very_evil_smiley.gif

And if it "looks bad", but "sounds good", that means you either lack good enough equipment or ears to hear the defects.

Some defects are genuinely impossible to hear by humans, but can still be seen in an editor. If upon examining a track, I find defects, but all are of the inaudible type, this translates to "Looks Good".

I have a debilitating mental condition where I open nearly every track I have in CoolEdit either before or during my listening of it. (Most are FLAC rips)

To this day, I have never listened to any song, from any genre, that "Sounded Great" but "Looked Bad". Nor have I heard any song(from any genre) that "Sounded Bad" but "Looked Great". And I have probably opened countless thousands.

Spectral analysis is important---without it, you will never "see" many of the defects that exist. If you think the waveform is lying to you, I can assure you it is not---you just need to look more closely. I'll post an example soon.

Jan 14, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #133 of 217
I would be fully able to start up and host a wiki on a fast and reliable server, but I have no idea where I'm going to find the time. If it can wait for a couple of weeks, I might be in business.

Jan 14, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #134 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by toastmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be fully able to start up and host a wiki on a fast and reliable server, but I have no idea where I'm going to find the time. If it can wait for a couple of weeks, I might be in business.

That would be greatly appreciated. Time isn't really that important since everything's just getting started, so whenever you can is best.
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #135 of 217
Okay, I had a few minutes tonight so I set up songview.org (I liked SongView the best and .com was taken) and set up the MediaWiki install. I'll see what else I can do tomorrow and I'll post back here with things people can do to help out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back