Why the majority of your CDs sound horrible.
Jan 13, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #91 of 217
Recording hot in the digital world is great if you don't exceed 0 db. It's not like the analog world where you can go above 0 db at times and not suffer from the distortion. I belive the digital meters are peak meters where analog meters are average. Also, the reason to keep the digital peaks near 0 when recording is that for every 6 db under zero you loose 1 bit which further degrades the sound.

Jan 13, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #92 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at the waveforms in Audacity is a great new game that should keep me busy for a while. I started off with "Abidan" from Masada Guitars where, as you might expect (classical guitar, simply recorded) the waveform looks great. Then, looking for a contrast, I switched to "Lithium" by Evanescence, which I fully expected to be compressed up the wazoo. Sure enough, it is: at least 75% of the track is clipped.

But, um, I love "Lithium" ... so what's this really telling me? Do I like it despite the shoddy production or because of it?

Yes, it is a great game. In fact i would personally like to see a thread dedicated to posting audacity (or similar program) graphs so i can decide what cd's to buy ... where would such a thread belong?

Jan 13, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #93 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it is a great game. In fact i would personally like to see a thread dedicated to posting audacity (or similar program) graphs so i can decide what cd's to buy ... where would such a thread belong?

How about you decide on what CDs to buy based on how much you like the music on them? Not based on how pretty it's waveform is..
plainface.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #94 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about you decide on what CDs to buy based on how much you like the music on them? Not based on how pretty it's waveform is..
plainface.gif

oooh harsh.
tongue.gif
.. I actually have a few cd's that whilst i don't really like the music itself ,
the cd was recorded/mastered so well that i really like to listen to them.

Jan 13, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #95 of 217
^^ Two CDs: Pink Floyd-The Wall and Jimi Hendrix-Are You Experienced?

Better recorded-The Wall, by a long mile. The engineer for Hendrix made his album hot as hell, but at least it doesn't show any clipping.

More enjoyable-Are You Experienced?, by a long mile. Don't get me wrong, I like The Wall (and don't like it nearly as much as, say, DSOTM or Animals), but it's a bit depressing and has a lot of filler moments. AYE? is just 45 minutes of the first, and arguably the best, hard guitar rock ever made.

Jan 13, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #96 of 217
I decide on what CDs to buy based on how much i like the music and the mastering on them.No i don't expect them all to be up to DCC gold quality but at least they must not be smashed to hell(b/c i can't listen to the damn thing
mad.gif
.I don't pay for smth i can only listen on a boombox )

Jan 13, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #97 of 217
Every new cd should have Audacity waveform printed on the back of the case
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #99 of 217
Even better, there should be a forum or webpage where people can go and post audacity waveforms of commercial CDs and iTunes/beatport mp3s.

Jan 13, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #100 of 217
We should start a Wiki for this.

Jan 13, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #101 of 217
Why Audacity? It doesn't hold a candle even to older versions of Cool Edit.
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #102 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why Audacity? It doesn't hold a candle even to older versions of Cool Edit.
biggrin.gif

Because it is free and everyone can download it and get a snapshot of songs to post here at Head-fi. The wiki idea is great. Let's do it.

BTW, soundforge beats CoolEdit to a pulp

Jan 13, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #103 of 217
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because it is free and everyone can download it and get a snapshot of songs to post here at Head-fi. The wiki idea is great. Let's do it.

I used it for just a few minutes and promptly deleted it. It was like going from HD650s back to Apple iBuds.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

BTW, soundforge beats CoolEdit to a pulp

Perhaps, but I would never need many of the features Soundforge provides. I use CoolEdit Pro 2.0 for all of my basic waveform editing and viewing. It does what I need and gets out of the way.

Anyway, the Waveform Wiki idea sounds awesome, I'd be glad to help in such a project.

Jan 13, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #104 of 217
We're gonna need a name for this.

WaveWiki?
WikiWave?

Let's throw some names together, see what sounds best.
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #105 of 217
I like Waveform Wiki, personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back