Why the hate for the Senn HD280
Feb 4, 2009 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

hyperreal

New Head-Fier
I picked them up yesterday as something to get me by while my Etymotics are out of commission and I can't really see what the hate is about. Obviously they aren't burned in but, honestly, are they going to turn into a steaming pile of dung (as some around here would categorize them) over the next couple of weeks? They were a bit stiff out of the box so I ran some frequency sweeps and pink noise on them for about an hour or so while I did something else. When I came back they were much more listenable and over the course of the afternoon they kept opening up. Since they are so new I haven't made a definitive judgement call on them yet but I wanted to ask everyone if I'm missing something about the sound of these things that makes them deserving of such an awful reputation around here.

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 18
They have good details....but their sound lacks the impact and doesnt engage a listener.

also they have a tight clamp making them uncomfortable.

btw u havent heard Beyerdynamic DT150 have u?

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 18
Hated? When did that happen? There's just not as much love here as there once was as technology progressed. You could actually say the same about Etys, but that fall I really don't understand.
confused_face(1).gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 18
Interestingly, I just replaced the ear pads on my 280s yesterday, it was a pain!

I agree with the above poster when they say "They have good details....but their sound lacks the impact and doesnt engage a listener."

Very true, I use them to pick out noise as well as clicks/pops on mixes and don't find the low end as rich as my 650s. I think they are great for that as they're closed cans that allow you to really hear things in the upper freq range (no hate here, they help me spot problems!)

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 18
good question OP. I think the hd280 is hated (yes hated and bashed) way more than it deserves.
I heard a well burned in pair at a recording studio and it sounded very nice, good extended high and lows and a balanced mid-range.

I've seen it described as having no personality, which I can understand, but when other headphones have personality they're labeled colored, so I don't know what gives.

I think what matters is that YOU like it, let it burn in for many many hours and I'd venture to say you'll like it even more.

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 18
Uncomfortable as all heck. The sensitive top of my shaven head couldn't tolerate 'em.

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 18
My big gripe with them is that they're fragile. Most of the plastic on my headband has broken off. Sound wise they're OK, but nothing special. But they're studio monitors and are comparable to other studio monitors that I've heard.

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #8 of 18
Well I had them for more than 6 months about a couple of years ago. Liked them when I had nothing else around to compare, then felt a bit unrefined the way they present the entire spectrum. Actually I preferred Bose Triport Around Ear ones over these, eventually made my journey towards Ultrasones and audiophile Sennheiser range.

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #9 of 18
owned and used my 280 for 3+ years.

love em.

hear nothing outside the cans, and whats inside sounds good.

never a comfort issue.

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 18
I've never had a comfort issue except they're hot in warm environments. But that's a problem with any closed headphone with pleather pads. I have had plenty of comfort issues with other headphones, including clamping, but not with these.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #12 of 18
Of those who have owned them did you have an amp? Is there a particular amp that works better than others? I'm finishing up a CMoy right now, so we'll see how that combo sounds.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFi1972 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interestingly, I just replaced the ear pads on my 280s yesterday, it was a pain!

Understatement of the year.
biggrin.gif
What should take thirty seconds took me over half an hour and more cursing than was likely warranted.

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #14 of 18
i still enjoy my 280's for movies. but not for music.
i agree with nocturnal's comments

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperreal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of those who have owned them did you have an amp? Is there a particular amp that works better than others? I'm finishing up a CMoy right now, so we'll see how that combo sounds.

The reason I still have my HD280s is that they are the only cans I have tried that sound great unamped with my portable CD player. The combination of very low impedance and extremely high sensitivity make them among the best unamped choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back