Why spend money on a "better" portable?
Apr 2, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #16 of 49
I guess what it really comes down to with a portable player is usability, there are so many factors that dictate whether a player is right for you, including SQ. The reality is that Head-Fi is obviously going to be biased towards the discussion of that particular factor, but if you want to really get into what makes a good player, head over to ABI!

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by boswd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or have the best of both worlds. High end sound and sick prices, buy a Sansa, not boxed into iTunes DRM nonsense, not breaking the bank by any means, memory expansion.
What's not to love
wink_face.gif

No ALAC support. >.<

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funnily enough I think combination DAC/Amps are worth the money. I think the iBasso D4 for example is a stunning value. I think that the D4 paired with a laptop via USB gets much closer to a respectable desktop sound than amped portables do.

Do you prefer the D4 to the D10 or was that just a random comment?
biggrin.gif

I'm looking for a amp/dac for home use with a jh16, and something in that price range is definitely doable.

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #20 of 49
I am thinking the same lately. I was struggling whether to get a Sony X, but after reading these, it seems stupid to spend so much on another DAP since I have a Cowon D2 and iPhone 3G for portable use.

Apr 2, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #22 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by xand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No ALAC support. >.<

Players with ALAC support lack FLAC support. >.<

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #24 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... otherwise my Clip + is there for the extra music and FLAC.

I agree whole-heartily with this OP.
Sadly in todays world "My dick is bigger than your dick" rules, for a large majority anyhow... I think it's also relevant in this topic to mention file formats, hence the quote (What reminded me).

Why do people so many people consider it essential to use FLAC, or other lossless formats for portable use? Sure for archiving it's the best, but seriously people? 320kbps mp3's are more than acceptable for portable use. I know some people enjoy analytical listening or have a higher end set up to allow them to fully appreciate those extra bits, so this probably won’t apply to them.

I think a lot of people need to step back for a moment and look at things realistically.
The main goal is to listen to quality music. Not to get lost in the hype surrounding it.

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by zerodeefex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Players with ALAC support lack FLAC support. >.<

True, but using a (free) product like Max, makes it easy to convert.

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #26 of 49
Interesting thoughts indeed. Whether its a portable or even a full-sized headphone set-up, how true-to-life is the sound quality? I would venture to say, not very. Because of this, I would be happy with the HM-801 and JH-16 Pros and call it a day... for now.

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #28 of 49
I use FLAC for files because I cannot be stuffed converting to 320MP3 everytime I want to put some new music onto my player. I don't need a large collection OTG anyway, so it works out alright for me.

I will agree with the portable amp thing though. I've tried quiet a few over the years, and in the end I now just keep 1 dac/amp combo unit. Its handy when I'm using my laptop OTG, and for those times when I am travelling away/on the plane/whatever I can still enjoy great sound just hooking up my diymod or whatever without lugging a desktop amp around. The XM5 also lets me op-amp roll, which is nice.

A clip+ is definitely something I'm looking into though. Small size with microSD expansion and (from what I've read) great sound quality makes it tempting.

Conclusion: Blow your money on headphones/IEMs first. Everything else comes after that.

Apr 3, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #29 of 49
Interesting thread.
This is somewhat the dilemma I am in too.

My current iem are the SA6, and I "want" to upgrade to a customs, as I need more isolation. (Singapore Buses are EXTREMELY noisy..)
i have very much restricted myself to 2 customs.
-Sleek audio upcoming iem, its custom version
-JH16

Since I am a diyer, I can also make the JH16 to be wireless using the kleer wireless kit from sleek audio. << i am saying this because since this is for portable, some may see the sleeks having wireless as an advantage over the JH16.

The sleeks I believe are going to be much cheaper than the JH16.
But I believe that the JH16's performance is going to be "better" than the sleeks. But, during portable on-the-go, is the difference going to be very audible ? I like the sleeks sound, just that I want higher isolation. So i believe I am going to please with the sleeks. But I will be scratching my head day and night pondering how the JH16 will sound like, and did I make the right choice..
My source is just going to be a cowon d2 or an iphone..

Dilemma.

And yes, I am still waiting for the right opportunity before I whack something as high as the JH16, as a need a "good reason" to purchase something that good, like rewarding myself etc..

Apr 3, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by amnsiac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess what it really comes down to with a portable player is usability, there are so many factors that dictate whether a player is right for you, including SQ. The reality is that Head-Fi is obviously going to be biased towards the discussion of that particular factor, but if you want to really get into what makes a good player, head over to ABI!

ABI? Is that like a different forum?

Sorry but source is the second most important, if not the most important, component of the audio chain. Some DAPs just sound better than others and will give a better end sound. It all starts with the source. Usability of the source is second fiddle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back