Why spend money on a "better" portable?
Apr 1, 2010 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

3X0

Headphoneus Supremus
Recently I've been using a newly-acquired BlackBerry Bold 9700. I've rotated it extensively with my iPhone 3GS and 1st-gen iPod Shuffle, and you know what? I don't mind it at all.

Through the JH13s and HF2s the only practically noticeable difference between the 9700 and the others is that the 9700 bass drops sharply below 60Hz. When I'm out and about, this small acoustic wrinkle is negligible to my ears. I find myself just as capable of developing emotional attachment to my music with the 9700 and JH13s as I do through the 3GS or Shuffle.

Virtually every portable rig I've ever heard (iMod included, HM-801 not) has been soundly trounced by desktop setups that often cost (far) less. The difference between going portable and going desktop is so substantial that I find myself disillusioned with regards to portable solutions. For the money, in my opinion, they simply do not deliver worthwhile sound. I do understand that you pay for the storage, the screen, and the convenience (among other factors).

I'm not decrying the benefits of a nice portable setup. I'm sure the HM-801 is a worthy player for those that travel often and find it nice to not be stationed to the mercy of a power outlet and appreciate not having to shoulder several pounds of desktop gear to enjoy quality sound. I just find it silly to discuss the small differences between, say, a Sony X1000 and an iPod Touch 3G when the differences simply do not matter in the bona fide portable application (yes, I have heard both).

I once lauded the sound signatures of certain players over others with hyperbole and exaggeration, but I'm quite surprised to be finding a mobile phone actually more than sufficient for my portable listening needs. In retrospect I am fairly certain I could live with an iPod 5.5G, Cowon X5, Meizu M6, or a Nokia N85/N97 just as well.

Incidentally: the rigs I find most respectable in the "Pictures of Your Portable Rig" threads are the ones that keep it simple -- getting by with a cheap-o player but having some amazing headphones paired with them. Or even a cellphone.

Executive summary:
Spend most of your budget on the headphones.
Stop worrying.
Don't buy a portable amp.
Go buy a desktop setup.

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 49
I agree with you, my portbale rig consist of just simple iphone. I was using diymod with headsix for some time, but in the end, diymod is now sitting in home rig(soon to be changed for some nice dac).

I heard some portable amps, ibasso d10 with iriver h140, their benefit was nice, but I would be happier with this money in my home rig.

Hifman is different league, its sound was really different from others portable things, but again, for 800$ you get some nice home rig, and you dont have to walk outside with old walkman with not so great batery life.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 1, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently I've been using a newly-acquired BlackBerry Bold 9700. I've rotated it extensively with my iPhone 3GS and 1st-gen iPod Shuffle, and you know what? I don't mind it at all.

Through the JH13s and HF2s the only practically noticeable difference between the 9700 and the others is that the 9700 bass drops sharply below 60Hz. When I'm out and about, this small acoustic wrinkle is negligible to my ears. I find myself just as capable of developing emotional attachment to my music with the 9700 and JH13s as I do through the 3GS or Shuffle.

Virtually every portable rig I've ever heard (iMod included, HM-801 not) has been soundly trounced by desktop setups that often cost (far) less. The difference between going portable and going desktop is so substantial that I find myself disillusioned with regards to portable solutions. For the money, in my opinion, they simply do not deliver worthwhile sound. I do understand that you pay for the storage, the screen, and the convenience (among other factors).

I'm not decrying the benefits of a nice portable setup. I'm sure the HM-801 is a worthy player for those that travel often and find it nice to not be stationed to the mercy of a power outlet and appreciate not having to shoulder several pounds of desktop gear to enjoy quality sound. I just find it silly to discuss the small differences between, say, a Sony X1000 and an iPod Touch 3G when the differences simply do not matter in the bona fide portable application (yes, I have heard both).

I once lauded the sound signatures of certain players over others with hyperbole and exaggeration, but I'm quite surprised to be finding a mobile phone actually more than sufficient for my portable listening needs. In retrospect I am fairly certain I could live with an iPod 5.5G, Cowon X5, Meizu M6, or a Nokia N85/N97 just as well.

Incidentally: the rigs I find most respectable in the "Pictures of Your Portable Rig" threads are the ones that keep it simple -- getting by with a cheap-o player but having some amazing headphones paired with them. Or even a cellphone.

Executive summary:
Stop worrying.
Go buy a desktop setup.

or have the best of both worlds. High end sound and sick prices, buy a Sansa, not boxed into iTunes DRM nonsense, not breaking the bank by any means, memory expansion.
What's not to love
wink_face.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 49
I guess it depends. I'm perfectly happy with my fuze connected to my earphones. I have no desire to ever amp portable again since the cost of a decent one (200-300) may as well get me something else. I'm just starting headphone setup and still thinking about that but it depends really when you think about saving money on portable and getting a desktop setup. In my case I'm home around 2-3 hours a day not counting sleep and I don't really find it being worth it to get a desktop setup that includes the dac, amp, good phones.

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #5 of 49
I don;t think anyone would argue that a home setup will sound better.... as you have the benefits of abundant power, and larger chassis to fit better stuff into - along with less distractions and potential dangers.

that said, if you are used to an extremely high performance home rig, then there are very few options in the portable world that will give you a taste of the "high end".

I'd also like to say that there are some more than "good enough" options in the portable realm, which can give lots of musical enjoyment. i've enjoyed my fuze and my gigabeat, but I have to say that the 801 is in a different league- and does everything enough better to make a substantial difference in the listening experience.

It is also a single-device solution, and that makes it even more enjoyable for me. Driving my gr8s, it is pretty amazing-- but life is compromise- so it all depends on the budget and opportunity costs-- what do you give up to get an 801-- or vice versa....

there's no single right answer. so long as you can enjoy your music and not deluded yourself into thinking that acceptable = exceptional!

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 49
I would have to agree somewhat with what you're saying. I don't have any home audio however because I spend a lot of time listening to music outside of my house; I love my portable rigs and sound that I'm getting though.

I used to use a RSA Tomahawk with my players but after selling that and picking up the UM3Xs, I noticed that the amp didn't really impact the sound that greatly. Sure it opened up the stage and gave everything some more detail but it wasn't.... a night and day difference; more like a morning and day difference. Not worth 300 bucks IMO.

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Executive summary:
Stop worrying.
Go buy a desktop setup.

I totally agree for the truely portable use which is why I go iPhone+HF2 for that use but I like my 2 travel rigs that get set up in the hotel or where ever I might stay on my travels.

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #8 of 49
I suppose it is always a question what exactly you are looking for. For one I don't like using my phone as an audio player...been there, done that when Nokia first did this (someone remember that Nokia Phone you would hold sideways and it had a full keyboard?). Right now I want my iPhone to essentially be a phone and a gate to the Internet, as I am often away from home for a longer period of time. Hence I need longer battery power. This is also the reason why I hate mobile phone cameras. I've got my Nikon and I love taking photographs with it. Obviously no digital camera can compare to a SLR.
So you see I have a completely different need on what my electronical gadgets need to do. I have enough time and quiet areas on board ship where I can fully appreciate a Hifiman HM-801 along with some high class IEM's.
I also get to go to exciting places and so I have the chance to take amazing photographs.
Other people on the other hand go jogging with their music. It is pretty obvious that you wouldn't be doing that with a Hifiman nor with a hard disk based DAP like the iPod classic. And to extend that thought about the camera: Some people also like to go to parties and take some nice pictures to remember. The mobile phone cameras will be good enough for that, but it won't be like creating art with an SLR and a nice motive.

Bottom line: People have different needs for what their electronical devices must have and what not, according to their life style.

I hope this made any sense?!?

Apr 1, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #9 of 49
I agree too most of my portable needs are satisfied by a small S series walkman and westone w3s.... Can't be bothered carrying an expensive brick around which will break the bank if u gotta replace it due to some clumsiness or if it gets stolen.....

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #10 of 49
I also agree with you,I am very happy with the touch and ie8 and I don't intend to change it anytime soon.I don't do critical listening when I am in university or commuting,I just enjoy music.At home,the environment is quite and so good amp or source is important because you will hear the differenc.

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #11 of 49
Having spent the last few months experimenting and wasting my money on some of the touted top rated portables (amps/Dacs). I am very much in agreement with the OP. In my experience a lot of the ostensible superficial improvements/differences were quite negligible especially when on the go!

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #12 of 49
These are all pretty valuable opinions guys, especially for a starving student!

I've spent a fair bit of money on PMPs and earphones over the last few years (well, a non-head-fier might think it a lot of money). Having finally bought some really top end 'phones (CK10s) I've realized that a well thought out, high end purchase is much better value than constantly upgrading in not-so-big steps. That said, I'm now planning my next purchases very carefully.

Since 2/3 or more of my listening is done on the go, and my suspicions about audio quality on the go are being confirmed by you guys, I'll hopefully have my priorities in the right place when I take the next plunge

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #13 of 49
Because some people prefer to have a "desktop" quality audio on the go. Sure, in the city or on the subway all the difference is killed by noice, but there is a plenty of quiet environment too. I travel a lot and spend time in hotels etc where it is usually quiet and I prefer to have a no-compromize SQ close to what I get back home.

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #14 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by abyrvalg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because some people prefer to have a "desktop" quality audio on the go.

The thing is, portables aren't anywhere near desktop quality. Even the venerable H100 series via SPDIF with an iBasso D10 (stock opamps) failed to impress me. Admittedly I just wasn't enamored with the D10's performance as a DAC.

I could justify the HM-801 if it was really in another league, because that is clearly a niche unit with a large amount of R&D focused on the DA conversion. But every time I see an expensive portable amp, I have to facepalm.

Funnily enough I think combination DAC/Amps are worth the money. I think the iBasso D4 for example is a stunning value. I think that the D4 paired with a laptop via USB gets much closer to a respectable desktop sound than amped portables do.

I'm out there in the streets with my sub-$30 Shuffle and my JH13s, and I dig it. Even in the library it's a setup I'm perfectly capable of appreciating even in light of my desktop setup -- maybe I owe a lot of this to the JH13s and their source-agnosticism. But when I get home, a quarter-inch and my desktop get me to that unbelievable sound. Scalability of listening tolerance is an acquired characteristic, I guess.

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #15 of 49
My simple Nokia in combination with my HD428 still pleases me, otherwise my Clip + is there for the extra music and FLAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back