Why SONY not resurrect R10 ??????
Mar 12, 2007 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ast

1000+ Head-Fier
Since I have been tracking R10 a little, I am shocked by the demand and price hype on a used piece of electronics! I mean not just here in the States, at least I know of in China, as well as in Japan. I don't understand, given such economics, why SONY decided to stop the production?

wondering whether SONY's marketing dudes are watching the market and have any sense of current demand. Any chance they will put it back to production?

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 19
Keep in mind that the people on this site, specifically the people able and willing to buy an R10 are very small with respect to the overall consumer market. So it actualy does make perfect sense if they are trying to capture the largest market possible.

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 19
Part of the reason that items like the R10, the Qualia, the HP-2 and the K1000 command the prices that they do is as a result of their being out of production. If they were in production, then they would be availible anytime to anyone, if they happened to scrape the cash up.

The fact that they cannot be bought on a whim in such a way, means that demand is channeled. This is the first factor in the price rise. The second factor is that if people like having one of a limited item, then they will want to be compensated if they part with it. Thus, they will ask what money they consider it to be worth to them, if noone pays, then they keep it. If they would rather have the money, they drop the price until someone bites.

If R10s went back into production at the original prices, used prices would drop, but sales levels woudlnt increase, theyd just redistribute. And if sony tried to reintroduce it at the prices that it sometimes goes for, then there would be no end of upraor here at their profiteering attitude. If they reintroduce at a reduced price, then the existing owners and those who bought while it was discontinued feel robbed. Either way of reintroduction, someone loses. But ultimately the big loser is Sony. Its not like they would shift many. Just because when one does go for sale it generates great interest, doesnt signal that theres a great potential market. the market for mega expensive items like that is always small.

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 19
agree with you guys the market is very limited for R10. But so is Rolls-Royce, Ferrari, ... you charge premium for a primium product so the business is still good for SONY. Plus all the prestige and marketing power behind "We have the world's KING of headphones".....

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
agree with you guys the market is very limited for R10. But so is Rolls-Royce, Ferrari, ... you charge premium for a primium product so the business is still good for SONY. Plus all the prestige and marketing power behind "We have the world's KING of headphones".....

However, which one gives you more stranger 'wierdo' looks from people: You go around and pride yourself for owning a R10, or drive around in a Ferrari.
tongue.gif

Mar 12, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

While these were still being made, Sony could not sell them. Take a look at some of the for sale threads on here from a few years ago. I remember when these headphones were going for $1000 - $1500. There are a few that you can find via google that sold a couple years ago for $1200. Why would Sony spend money on making these headphones (handmade wood cups are expensive to make) when they might sell 100 of them on the open market? Companies like Sony deal in tens of millions, and making a few thousand dollars is just not worth it for them. Having said that, I'd love to own one of these guys.

As for how much the Sony's were, I believe they were selling for $2600 when new (although they retailed for $4000). Others will know better, since at that time the idea of spending over $500 on a headphone seemed absolutely ludicrous to me.

Mar 12, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 19
Sony doesnt make money from one person. it makes money from the market. Do you think there will be lots of people buying a $4000 headphone in the market? I would say probably not.

Mar 12, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #10 of 19
The same thing can be said about the AKG K1000.
frown.gif

Mar 12, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The same thing can be said about the AKG K1000.
frown.gif

who will buy a headphone that needs a power amp to drive it porperly?? Few.

Mar 12, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While these were still being made, Sony could not sell them. Take a look at some of the for sale threads on here from a few years ago. I remember when these headphones were going for $1000 - $1500. There are a few that you can find via google that sold a couple years ago for $1200. Why would Sony spend money on making these headphones (handmade wood cups are expensive to make) when they might sell 100 of them on the open market? Companies like Sony deal in tens of millions, and making a few thousand dollars is just not worth it for them. Having said that, I'd love to own one of these guys.

As for how much the Sony's were, I believe they were selling for $2600 when new (although they retailed for $4000). Others will know better, since at that time the idea of spending over $500 on a headphone seemed absolutely ludicrous to me.

Man the price has really gone up --- seems like nowdays, R10 runs over $4500 yet you couldn't get one! Just look at the R10 on sale in the "sales forum" here it won't even list sales price, just ask people to pay what they think is right and the price has gone from $4250 then someone else offered $4500 .... the seller is still waiting for higher prices.

Mar 12, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, which one gives you more stranger 'wierdo' looks from people: You go around and pride yourself for owning a R10, or drive around in a Ferrari.
tongue.gif

What you really mean is how many hot babes do you think REALLY want to go for a ride in your R-10?

Mar 12, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Man the price has really gone up --- seems like nowdays, R10 runs over $4500 yet you couldn't get one! Just look at the R10 on sale in the "sales forum" here it won't even list sales price, just ask people to pay what they think is right and the price has gone from $4250 then someone else offered $4500 .... the seller is still waiting for higher prices.

I am not so sure that Mike (Mulveling) is necessarily waiting for higher prices. I really think he is trying to make up him mind completely on whether he wants to sell it and who to sell it to. The great thing about headfi is that people often take less money to sell to established members

Mar 12, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif

$2600 was the price if you bought in Japan. $4000 was the US retail price. If the former US importer finds a pair in great shape, expect to pay about $5500 today. While the R10 was on the market from 1989 to 2004, they sold less than 1200 headphones.

One of the reasons that Sony discontinued the R10 was that they supposedly lost money on every one they sold (although in Sony terms it's not a large amount of money). In other words, don't expect Sony to start a new R10 release ever again. In theory, the Qualia was supposed to show that Sony could make money on a high-end headphone. In practice, I don't think it happened that way...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back