why so ugly?
Dec 21, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #46 of 134
It's called the Steampunk Aesthetic, look it up if you can't relate on a visceral level.

Dec 21, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #47 of 134
well... the audio technica wood series and many other wood headphones will certainly satisfy your crave for beauty. If you have enough money, you can literally buy them for the purpose of display. They are eye candies and usually sound as beautiful as they look.

Dec 21, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #48 of 134
i think the beats are not good looking. i like the plain industrial studio design look. i do find headphones like the k601/701/702 very nice looking as well even though they kinda have a different design approach to other AKG models. if you want a good looking and top sounding headphone try the 1970's pioneer monitor 10. sounds amazing and looks great. thing is built like a tank and capable of beating someone to death with it(it's that sturdy!)

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #49 of 134

Quote:
wood on electronics equipments look horrible imo.
sure everyone have their opinion, but try showing the LCD-2 to a non audiophile because sometimes we may be a lil bit biased about the things that we love and hear what they say about it looks compared to the beats.

im not audiophile and i find the LCD-2 look like rolls royce of its kind, just bcz you can't afford it that doesn't mean that your cheap headphone are better 

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #50 of 134
Personally a wood hater on headphones. I somewhat understand where OP is coming from but I'm not one to completely dismiss wood headphones.

More a fan of the Sony Qualia or K70x material aesthetic. I like heavy duty plastics and metals. 

Still trying to find out if I can replace wooden cup covers on D7000's with the D2000's plastic cover.

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #51 of 134
my friend have the beats... but the moment he held my lcd2 his eyes glowed and said " whoa! mother of all headphones! this feels like it cost more than my watcha.. so heavy! " yup :)

to me there should be only metal wood and leather!!

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #54 of 134
The beats are good looking but when closed up and felt, they are nothing more than cheap plastic headphones. On the other hand, the LCD-2, HD800, Beyer, etc felt really solid and once you touch them you know what they're made of - high quality stuff.

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #55 of 134

Quote:
The beats are good looking but when closed up and felt, they are nothing more than cheap plastic headphones. On the other hand, the LCD-2, HD800, Beyer, etc felt really solid and once you touch them you know what they're made of - high quality stuff.

+1

i showed some of my friends the difference between build quality. u go to best buy and just feel the beats and skullcandy compare to like my hd 650s, my ultrasones, the grados. the beats feel like a kids toy while my headphones feel sturdy and alot more durable. i was particularly impressed with the pro 900s very solid plastic feel. its heavy and feels way different than the headphones u typically feel. flimsy cheap plastic feeling 
confused_face.gif

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #58 of 134

Quote:
wood on electronics equipments look horrible imo.
sure everyone have their opinion, but try showing the LCD-2 to a non audiophile because sometimes we may be a lil bit biased about the things that we love and hear what they say about it looks compared to the beats.

In. Your. Opinion.

An average consumer hasn't been exposed to higher end headphones so the design might not be as universally accepted. Also Beats is a huuuuuuuuge marketing tool for people so if you showed and random stranger both of the headphones they'd draw multiple conclusions like:

"Well I've never seen those LCD whatevers so they must be terrible and Beats are everywhere so they must be amazing."

That alone would influence peoples' bias. Personally I find beats to be the new popped collar, for idiots by marketers but I think headphones like the DT990's to have a much more appealing aesthetic design in my eyes.

You keep saying "IMO" then you rebut that statement with "BUT IT'S SO UGLY! I MEAN LOOK AT IT!". It's quite hilarious.

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #59 of 134
ok, here it comes, as an architecture student for 5 years, and will be for 3 more years, and ,later on, an architect as a career for my whole life, and I rely on designing to pay my bill, and I understand beauty is a subjective matter, BUT, beats are the worst looking headphone I've seen EVER, come to cheapness and failing design, nothing beat the beats......
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back