why so ugly?
Dec 22, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #107 of 134

Quote:
I had the W1000X. it looked great also, but I didn't like the wing mechanism that much. I think I also prefer the D7k's wood coloring over American cherry.

really? i think the w1000x has a much more attractive colour wood and the wood on the d7000 looks like what comes out of my..... ok u know where im going with this.

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #108 of 134

Quote:
really wants to remove that wood on the D5000/D7000...
frown.gif

Why would you want to do that? :xf_eek:

Quote:
really? i think the w1000x has a much more attractive colour wood and the wood on the d7000 looks like what comes out of my..... ok u know where im going with this.

The wood does look nice in the w1000x. The D5000/7000 are supposed to be made of mahogany, but honestly, I don't know if I believe that. They should have a much better grain if that were so. Admittedly I haven't seen them in person (YET!), but from pictures it doesn't seem to have the *amazing* grain that mahogany is so well known for. Still love the look of wood on headphones, though. :D

As far as w1000x vs. D5000/7000, I would have to say I like the grain on the w1000x more, but I prefer everything else on the Denons.

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #110 of 134

Quote:

these also look really nice! I love woodies!

SUccess!  Fostex and Denon have made timber look like it is no longer timber
blink.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #111 of 134
Quote:
I wonder what a plastic violin might sound like... my guess is that even if was sonically neutral it would sound like garbage.

There's a huge difference between sound reproduction and sound creation. With reproduction, you want as little sound signature as possible. The timbre of the instrument was already created by the instrument and captured in the recording. You don't want to add more wood timbre. Even headphones made of wood should (and usually are) designed so that the wood does not resonate.

Hence the use of hardwoods.

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #113 of 134
You ought to read your own words before posting. I'll reciprocate the first part of your comment; beauty is subjective - what you consider ugly, another may consider gorgeous.
I've met many people who find the LCD-2's design attractive. Of course, it has an entirely different appeal compared to that of Beats or V-Moda; I consider the differences a sophistication v. style contrast. 

Quote:
beauty is subjective, but i fail to see how is anything near to good looking let alone a piece of art.
what with those ugly patterns? and wood?? seriously!

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #115 of 134
Quote:
You ought to read your own words before posting. I'll reciprocate the first part of your comment; beauty is subjective - what you consider ugly, another may consider gorgeous.
I've met many people who find the LCD-2's design attractive. Of course, it has an entirely different appeal compared to that of Beats or V-Moda; I consider the differences a sophistication v. style contrast. 

Man, the LCD-2 is not "sophisticated", not in my eyes anyway. I like because of its DIY thrown-together-in-a-garage sort of steampunk look. Like they thought, "How can we make this thing look as big, unwieldy, and overindulgent as possible using this superglue and wrench?"

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #116 of 134
Don't worry, folks. To the rescue: http://www.etsy.com/transaction/67882499

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #118 of 134

Quote:
Man, the LCD-2 is not "sophisticated", not in my eyes anyway. I like because of its DIY thrown-together-in-a-garage sort of steampunk look. Like they thought, "How can we make this thing look as big, unwieldy, and overindulgent as possible using this superglue and wrench?"

The overall industrial design errs on the side of the robust and simple but there are practical reasons for this, and the design benefits from these choices in practical ways.  If you are looking for the definition of blunt gratuity look here instead
biggrin.gif
:

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #119 of 134
Quote:

Strange, can't quote the first paragraph.

Anyway, I know it's like this for a reason (or we hope, since they didn't change anything with the $2000 LCD-3). That's just the impression I get when I look at it. Functionality and found materials over stylistic design and sophistication.

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #120 of 134
True... This was also my first impression of the LCD-2's appearance, but its design grew on me - possibly because I went to the store repeatedly just to demo it over and over. 

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back