Why so many hd800 for sale if they're that good
Jul 1, 2018 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

michaelwheeldon

100+ Head-Fier
Just a simple question ❓
Thinking of buying a pair of hd800
But looking on different auction sites there are hundreds to choose from, its not just the HD 800. The s versions too
Am I missing something about these supposed flagship sennheiser model, I know they're analytical but is that the down side that people are selling them on.
Or is it simply they're not fun.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 66
There will be many reasons why people want to sell their HD800/S: they need money and these are valuable, they've enjoyed these now they're after something else, the expense of other components was too much, they're looking for something more euphonic, after really getting to know these headphones they dislike them, they want to buy a HD820, they want to buy multiple cheaper headphones, the headphones aren't a good match with their amplifier, they're curious about planar magnetic/electrostatic headphones etc. There may well be many of these sellers who buy them again because they're going round in circles or they miss them or something they thought they would prefer turns out to not be as good.

Jul 1, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #3 of 66
I see a few of these for sale... but nothing like the mass selling of certain Fostex.

Jul 1, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #4 of 66
There are tens of thousands maybe 100 thousands of 800 out there over the last 8 years...nuff said

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #5 of 66
Well, those are some of the most popular $1,000+ headphones. More buys, more resells I guess? Sheer volume is the answer?

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #6 of 66
I'm so ignorant I didn't even know that they cost that much. I'd love to try them out but am pretty much wedded to Bluetooth headphones these days.

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #7 of 66
Think I'd be one of those people who sell them on once the ultimate precision of these headphones wears off.
Hearing every little detail doesn't always make for an enjoyable few hours of listening.
Think that's what I was trying to get at.
Which fostex are similar mass seller's, do you mean th900.

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #8 of 66
Sold mine. Don't regret it. Too amp picky, not enough bass, treble problems. If you have a smaller head the fit can be bad too thus affecting the seal further diminishing the sound. I would love to see something revolutionary from Sennheiser rather than yet another rehash like the 820. Something affordable in the $700 or less range.

Jul 1, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 66
I used to hate the HD800 until I heard them on a system that really worked with them. I can see why others would buy them just based off the reputation without considering the amp; they get them home only to realize that it sounds like poo on their system that was built around it, so they sell em.

That said, I think the real answer is that they've been around forever (in headphone years) and they're high quality so they're still in good shape years and years later. Simply put, there are just a lot of them around.

Jul 1, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #11 of 66
This first person I have contact about selling his HD800 told me he preferred speakers. Music is made for speakers. Headphones are convenient and more refined sounding, but once you have good speakers you will likely stop using headphones.

And that is the challenge: making headphones sound like speakers.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #12 of 66
Music is made for speakers. Headphones are convenient and more refined sounding, but once you have good speakers you will likely stop using headphones.

If you can't position speakers freely, make basic room treatments, sit always in the middle and above all play what you like as you like you're better off with headphones.

Back to the topic, think that hd800 series take no hostage, ruthless, so people forget the raving reviews, sell and move on.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #13 of 66
This is my experience..I purchased them new and was initially very disappointed...and had planned to return them. Their peak @6khz really bothered me. (some people is doesn't bother). I then tried Sonarworks (free trial.EQ for various headphones and speaker setups). For me it was all the difference. You could probably manually EQ and achieve the same result. (I couldn't...but others have). The HD800 handles EQ extremely well and that includes the bass region.

Without EQ..I would not have kept them.

My 2 cents..(or pence I think in your case).

Bern

Jul 1, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #14 of 66
Most of the time the differences in this hobby are very small. Meaning with the folks out there who gel with the HD800/800s sound, they simply love it. There are also folks who did modifications to arrive at a sound they could enjoy, then also a group who found an amp that’s helps them get there.

It could even be said that it depends on the subgenre of music taste, too! So there are a lot of factors to which make people happy. As mentioned above, they sold a boatload too!

But this hobby is all about knowing what you like, and unfortunately you can’t learn that without going and getting a couple pairs of headphones.

At times all the reading in the world is not comparable to ownership. Though listening at Head-Fi meets works to a point.

HD800s are great, but not for everyone, which could be said for all headphone brands.

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #15 of 66
Just a simple question ❓
Thinking of buying a pair of hd800
But looking on different auction sites there are hundreds to choose from, its not just the HD 800. The s versions too
Am I missing something about these supposed flagship sennheiser model, I know they're analytical but is that the down side that people are selling them on.
Or is it simply they're not fun.

Really good at one thing, imaging; but not good at other things, like how it has a treble spike. HD650 is the exact opposite but is very good at being the exact opposite, but there are a lot of those for sale too. People just want one or the other.

Think of it like this. Ducatis are good, but if people had to order them without trying them out, there'd be disproportionately more for sale because people realize that the superbikes and the superbike-based naked bikes have seats that should come with a gift certificate for a chiropractor because you're either too tall to tuck in properly or you're too short that standing at stoplights will kill your lower back (I'm 5'7" and if I had to use it in weekday traffic I'd hate the damn thing). Similarly, there are Honda superbikes that would roughly perform like the two wheeled equivalent of the HD650 - great ergonomics for daily use, fast enough on the track, but thrill seekers who want something that screams like the S2000 but as a bike behaves kind of like a Porsche turbo that screams out of corners and being a bike might angrily raise its front wheel (ie, like a Ducati) will end up feeling like those looking for 3D imaging or snappier percussions and find it boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back