Why SHOULDN'T I get an iAudio X5?
Jun 17, 2005 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

fiz

Head-Fier
Man this player looks great. I previously had a Samsung YP-MT6 and wasn't happy with its playback quality. This player has everything I want (not necessarily need
biggrin.gif
). What is making me lean towards the X5 is the support of many file formats, mainly Ogg Vorbis. One thing that has me hesitant is the use of a built in Lithium ion battery. If it makes any difference I will be using Ety 6i's with it.

If any of you have this player could you give some feedback, whether it be bad or good? Also if any of you have suggestions on a player you think is better (preferably in the same price range and with a 20GB hd).

Jun 17, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 20
No gapless playback - near gapless is nowhere near gapless, and it is very gapped with Vorbis.

No database.

No system of memorizing how many times you played what song and when for auto playlisting purposes.

Those three things, along with the fact that it's $70+ cheaper got me to buy another Karma.

Jun 17, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 20
It's wayyy too big, bump and all. At the end of the day what will you be doing with it 99% of the time? In my case playing music, in my pocket. I, like most, need something thin and short otherwise I notice it in my pocket. If I notice it in my pocket, chances are I won't leave the house with it or have to adjust my current pocket configuration, which I really don't want to do, again, like most.

X5 is too tall and has the bump.

As such, I got an HD1, for less than half the price of an X5. It has the capacity of an X5 but is smaller and lighter than an ipod mini. Also has better battery-life than everything bar newer Sony models and SUPER chunky M3Ls.

Only issue is Sony's DRM, which can be worked around as it appears as a removable drive so fling music on as a file, then transfer off and back on via vaio dragndrop (removing SonicStage from the picture altogether) on the computer the HDD is registered to.

All I'm advocating is thinking what it is actually for and take the logistics into consideration before deciding on something because it has a lot of features.

Jun 17, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #5 of 20
Thanks guys. Is there anything in size you can compare it to? I have no reference. If it isn't really thick it would have to be really big in all other dimensions to bother me. In general I wear loose fitting clothing so unless it is huge it shouldn't be an issue.

Jun 17, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #6 of 20
I just wish it came with a native line-out. That dock/foot "subpack" doesn't actually attach securely to the player, it only holds on via the friction of the plug itself.

If anyone has come up with a good (secure) attachment method I'd be happy to hear about it. I'm thinking velcro at this point....

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #8 of 20
I'm guessing that these people who think that the X5 is big have never actually handled one. It's tiny. Maybe not iPod mini tiny but definitely 4g iPod tiny. It looks bigger in pictures.

As for what I perceive as negatives:

- The player's audio capability with all the eq effects off appears handicapped in such a way that it is necessary to tweak in order for the X5 to sound good. For instance, I've found that I absolutely must have the BBE setting raised a few notches or else the player sounds very muddy, and I've always listened at the flat eq setting with all the other players I've owned.

- I think the midrange on the iPod is better. The midrange on the X5 is a bit attenuated, and I can't get it to sound just right no matter how much I tweak the settings. To me, the X5 kind of sounds like there are holes within the spectrum, but you probably wouldn't notice unless you've had extensive time with another player, and the sound quality overall is clearer and more vibrant than the ipod's.

- The lineout isn't a true lineout. Cowon kind of tricks you into believing it is because the volume doesn't change from about 1-34, but at 0, the volume cuts out, and at around 34 and above, the volume becomes noticeably louder.

- ID3 tag navigation would be nice, but it's really not a problem if you organize your music.

- The case is optional. But the X5 casing is pretty scratch resistent so it's not really a big deal.

- Not a big fan of the joystick. It's too small, and the player also lags when you quickly scroll up/down a list. I wish someone would implement a mini trackball as a navigation device (since you-know-who already has a patent on the perfect navigation device).

- The ability to view pictures is just a gimmick. The screen is too small and of too low a resolution to really enjoy this feature. The regular menus look very nice though.

I've listed a lot of negatives, but I'm really nitpicking. I've gone through like 10 players trying to find the perfect replacement for my late Karma, and I think I've found it in the X5. It's really a very nice player. Great size, great sound, adequate battery, great aesthetics, etc. In short, GET ONE!
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiz
Thanks guys. Is there anything in size you can compare it to? I have no reference. If it isn't really thick it would have to be really big in all other dimensions to bother me. In general I wear loose fitting clothing so unless it is huge it shouldn't be an issue.

the dimension is 4.0in x 2.4in x 0.6in and weight 6.3 ounces. it also support flac, which is a lossless format.

i'm contemplating on getting it too, only two things that turn me off and they are minor. i dont like the idea of joystick and i want better spec for video playback.

edit: i found out the player come with an removable adaptor, that has power, usb, line in and out. so you have to plug it in then plug in the wall adaptor to charge the battery?

i'll stick with my gmini400 for now. but i need ogg support so i can have more space for movies and other junk. otherwize 128kbs vbr mp3 here i come.

Jun 17, 2005 at 8:03 AM Post #10 of 20
Thanks guys. I noticed iAudio has another model of the X5, the X5L that can run 40 hours instead of the 14. Question is if I need those extra hours. I don't think I do but it is only 39 bucks more but I may just stick with the base model anyway. I keep thinking to myself that this model is only x dollars more than this one and I keep seeing something better but I think I have finally decided to go with the X5. Those dimensions look good to me, that is thinner than the Samsung I had and that was bearable even though I thought it was kind of thick.

One other thing that has me worried is that I do a lot of skiing and I would prefer to get a flash based player. I do a lot of heavy stuff and don't like the idea of it getting jarred around. I may just make an enclosure for the X5 or just pick up a small flash based dap when next season rolls around, I can justify having two players
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO
- I think the midrange on the iPod is better. The midrange on the X5 is a bit attenuated, and I can't get it to sound just right no matter how much I tweak the settings. To me, the X5 kind of sounds like there are holes within the spectrum, but you probably wouldn't notice unless you've had extensive time with another player, and the sound quality overall is clearer and more vibrant than the ipod's.

That kind of scares me as I am very picky when it comes to these things, but it sounds like you like the sound a lot overall. Hopefully I can get past it or maybe I won't even notice.

Jun 17, 2005 at 11:14 AM Post #11 of 20
I read over at the iaudiophile forums that id3 databasing is being developed and will be in an upcoming firmware release. If my memory serves me right, sizewise it's about the size of a 20 gig 4g apple ipod.

The thing stopping me from getting it is the sound quality. If only someone would make something like the x5 but with good sound...
rolleyes.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 11:29 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by grox
I read over at the iaudiophile forums that id3 databasing is being developed and will be in an upcoming firmware release. If my memory serves me right, sizewise it's about the size of a 20 gig 4g apple ipod.

The thing stopping me from getting it is the sound quality. If only someone would make something like the x5 but with good sound...
rolleyes.gif

It does have good sound, great sound outside of the gapped playback. ABX blind test it to any other well designed HD player with volume levels matched, and the stupid "audiophile magic" that allows people to make these odd claims about DAPs goes away.
smily_headphones1.gif

Of all the things here, I don't think size would be an issue, at least if it were for me. If I can get a Rio Karma in and out of my pocket nicely, an iAudio would definately fit.

Jun 17, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by grox
rolleyes.gif

Oh man. Hahaha. I didn't mean to give you guys the impression that the sound of the X5 is bad. No way! It's definitely excellent. I was just saying that I wish the midrange was bit stronger, but you won't notice if you've never had extensive time with another player. And let me clarify the comparison I made above with the iPod. The iPod has a stronger midrange, but it is also muddier so whether you think the iPod sounds better in the midrange really depends upon your own personal preference. Besides, the eq on the X5 is much more responsive than the eq on the iPod so you can tweak away. Anyway, I've now had the X5 for a few days, and the nitpicking I had with the X5 isn't even an issue anymore because I've adjusted to the new sound signature. Don't shy away from the X5 because of it's sound.

Jun 17, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #14 of 20
Based on my experience with the M3 which I ultimately didn't wind up liking after owning it, and switching to the Sony Vaio Pocket which I love, I can say Cowon products are good if they have the right feature set for you.

The gapless playback was the ultimate nail in the coffin for me with the M3.

The ability to just drag & drop files is great though, but now that I have a DAP again with tagging and a DB, I realize that the file structure is not useful long term IMHO

M3U supportability is nice though.

Well, you can't necessarily go wrong with the X5, but evaluate if it's for you.

Jun 17, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #15 of 20
I have been looking aty the X5 recently myself and after my searching I have narrowed it down to 3 players.

Iaudio X5

the hd size is much of a issue right now, I just want a decent player that has good sound. Ideally I want to play FLAC files, but sound quality is more important to me at the moment and the money I have.

So compare the Iaudio to the Karma and whats the verdict?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back