Why not go straight to the best? (UE 10, UE 11)
Aug 11, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #18 of 41
"Best" is not always best
wink_face.gif

I have the UE11, and it gets less ear time than the previously owned Sleek SA6 and currently the new SuperFi 5.

Aug 11, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #19 of 41
I have worked myself to the end f my portable journey I think.

It is a

iPod Touch -> 5 wire linear cryo treated crystal silver LOD (made by me - my fav of the 8 or so I have right now...) -> Black Pico -> recabled FreQShow

Yeah - it doesn't get much better than that!

I might add an ESW9 in the future, but not right now.

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #20 of 41
When you slowly move up the ladder, you appreciate the improvements. If you don't know how a bass muddy Senn C300 sounds like, how could you truely appreciate the wonderful bass of the Atrio M5?

Aug 11, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #21 of 41
Cost. I was 14 when I bought my first "serious" headphones. It took me a long time to save up the money, I wouldn't have even considered spending £1000+ for custom IEMs. I would like to have been able too though :p

Aug 11, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound quality is in the ear of the beholder.

That should be the motto for head-fi im going to add that to my sig if you dont mind (giving credit to you of course)

Also the reason why people don't buy them straight away is because people love different sound signatures. Some are bass heads some are detail maniacs while others really dig sounds stage ect. The UE-11's my be regarded as the best by many but as an individual you may find that your opinion differs. Its really down to what kind of sound you like and thus thats why we are here, trying to find our sound signature from gear that makes me happy.
smile.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Libertad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its really down to what kind of sound you like and thus thats why we are here, trying to find our sound signature from gear that makes me happy.
smile.gif

If that's the case, what does it mean if I find the Sennheiser CX500's sound addictive but not necessarily outstanding...or even great...but I like to listen to them, they give great enjoyment. However, i find the sound quality of the Triple-fis to be outstanding and love to listen to them as well, they provide an appreciation for the nuances of music and sense of the power of the sound as if in person.

Example: In my church we have a great choir and they sing beautifully. However, when we have a Pastor conference stationed at our church, a whole host of Pastors are there, filling all the spaces in the pews and singing like you've never heard before. It is truly an awesome and magnificently dramatic sound experience, the power of that sound, cannot be described in order to gain an appreciation of it. It has to be experienced.

That's kind of like these Triples. They have a more powerful sound that approaches breathtaking, given the right source of music. It's not even close to what I was referring to with the Pastors but it is a power, nonetheless.

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #24 of 41
I'm sure this has been said already, but I am too lazy to read all the posts.

Case #1 Yes, it is a better financial decision to buy whatever you want the first time. In the case of custom IEMs costing over a grand (if money is no concern then this does not apply but for most of us...), assuming you know what sound signature you think you may like, you may luck out and be absolutely thrilled with your new purchase. However, lets say your initial assumption was just slightly misguided. Now you have two $500 pieces of plastic which have no monetary value (you may be able to sell the cord) that have to be replaced. However, now that you have a good fitting custom (we will say that you went through the process to get it just right, which took 3 tries and many hours) you will likely have a hard time going back to universal unless you happen to be a lucky one with the standard ear and find the perfect tip (more hours and $$$). So now, instead of spending $1000 and getting it over with, you have just spent $1500-2500 to get it right and have endured a substantial amount of headaches.

Case #2 Lets go the other way and work our way up. This analysis is based on the normal progression of music in modern young people's lives assuming that they almost exclusively have always listened to portable gear and have no real experience with high end speakers and audio gear. Lets say you start with your free ibuds that came with your player. You realize they sound terrible and go and spend $75 at your local best buy for a low end IEM. For a while that sounds great so no headaches and no time wasted. A few months pass and you learn about audio compression and file types so you rerip your collection to flac and want to try a better IEM to see if you can realize the difference. You now do some research and find a good $150-200 IEM such as the ER4P or Sleek SA6. Again, the sound is better, the source is better so you are happy and have not wasted any time. So far you have spent $225-275. A few more months, maybe a year pass and you are now addicted. You now have an idea of what is meant my soundstage and understand what type of listener you are. You know what qualities you want in an IEM. Now you either buy an amp or upgrade to your dream custom IEM. It is now a few years later and new models have been released so you have purchased a better IEM than you would have 2-3 years ago when you though 128mp3 sounded just fine. So you now go out and spend $1200 for your new IEM which turn out to be just what you expected. You have now spent <$1500 and have exactly what you want and a solid knowledge base to support your decision and future purchases. You have constantly experienced better sound throughout the journey so you have not experienced any setbacks, headaches, or lost time like in case #1.

Personally, I believe Case #2 gives you the better education so you know why those $1000 IEMs sound better than the $.25 ones you just threw away and are not just relying on marketing slogans. It will also on average cost less as almost no one gets it just right the first time. However, if you have an extensive knowledge base and know what type of sound signature you like, then you will benefit from Case #1; however, if you are in that case, then you would not be asking for advice and would probably be the one giving it or even being paid for it.

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #25 of 41
Also, the best may not always the best. I've had the ue10 for a few years now and love the fit but still not completely happy with the sound signature. It has slightly recessed mids and just doesn't have the right energy when it comes to rock music.

My first entrance to hi-fi was the ety ER-4S. I gave them to my wife but whenever I listen to them again, I love them all over again. All details and the sound of the electric guitar. There's something special the etys have that the ue10 are missing.

Also, some people think the Ultimate Ears can replace full size headphones. It may be true for some but definitely not for me. I enjoy the ATH-ESW9 the best for portable listening (when I've tried them at meets). So that's $300 vs $1100, and I'd be able to share them and sell them. So whenever my ue10 die (I think I'm going on 4 years now), those are what's replacing them. I may steal back the etys too.

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not save the $$ and get there sooner than later?

Yeah. I don't get it. Where would the, "...Sorry about your wallet" part fit into the picture with an attitude like that?

For shame. For shame.

Aug 11, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #27 of 41
I went from Super.fi to Triple.fi to UE11 within 2 months haha
Instant gratification FTW

Aug 12, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plus, the reason for getting IEMs would be for outdoor uses, the isolation they provide. Would you dare to carry around a $1000 phone during your overseas trip?

Actually I go to Montego Bay Jamaica every other week. I do bring them with me. I guess I'm nuts, but I've had no troubles.

Aug 12, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Libertad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That should be the motto for head-fi im going to add that to my sig if you dont mind (giving credit to you of course)

Do as you wish
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back