Why not go straight to the best? (UE 10, UE 11)
Aug 10, 2008 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Luckyleo

Headphoneus Supremus
Why not? They're great. You'll never hear anything approaching these babies. Why go for the Triple Fi's, Sure 530's, Um-2's, or other custom imitaions???

Why? I don't understand the thought process (although it took me 2 years + to understand this equation). If you're serious you're gonna end up there one day. Why not save the $$ and get there sooner than later?

The sonic qualities have been well documented elsewhere here at head-fi, so I won't bore you with a mediocre review. The point is these are better than the competition's lower cost customs and why would one want to sacrifice sound quality for a few bucks (well, maybe more than a few bucks).

I bet some of you disagree with this, I'm ready and willing, and anxious to hear your thoughts.

Aug 10, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 41
Where would the fun in that be?
biggrin.gif
If I hadn't started out humble I wouldn't really have an appreciation for the good stuff.

Aug 10, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 41
Many people enjoy the journey, the experience, to take it all in one step defeats the object of audiophilism in some respects, as you skip out the path of deciding which you think is the best. I went straight to 530's which at the time i percieved to be the best, better than the UE10's and UE11's were not out then. To an extent i do agree with you in that any serious audiophile will eventually get to the top with UE11's and perhaps some may even prefer there lower down etmo's for what ever reason. However, i believe many people go up in stages for financial reasons which i believe is a very respectable and understandable reason for not instantly going out and spending 1000 dollars on a pair of IEMs. Most people when they come here think spending 100 dollars on a pair of ear buds is obscene, but as you can see they grow into the hobby and burn their wallets before they realise, 1000 dollars is a small price to pay for such sonic supremecy.

Ben

Aug 10, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 41
Also, one thing I'm acquiring more and more is a finer discernment of music. These UE10s are supposed to be some of the best and I agree, they do sound much better than anything that came before them, but I'm coming to discern inadequacies about them, it seems. For example, the drum cymbals in a song don't sound quite like real drums cymbals but rather sound almost like a high pitched hiss rather than stick hitting metal.

I don't think the driver is able to produce the real sound. Had I jumped straight up to these without growing into the hobby with lower end stuff, I may have the opinion that these things are horrible just because of what i mentioned about the symbols.

Aug 11, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 41
I doubt I'll ever go for them, why? That's a lot more scratch than audio is worth to me when ~$200 products like the SA6 do everything I expect from a portable earphone. Why exactly should I be spending an extra $1000 just because? I won't appreciate the sound any more and that $1000 can be put to a lot better uses than bragging rights.

Aug 11, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #7 of 41
Personally there are two reasons for me not buying the UE 11s straight away. Like someone mentioned earlier the price is over 5 times that of other quality ear buds in the market. At that price for an IEM I would expect them to be near perfection, but from what research I've done so far there still seem to be some bass issues depending on the listener. Since I can't sample them first I'm reluctant to spend that kind of money, especially since they have basically 0 resell value.

My other reason is basically I think music is a very personal thing. You can't really know what headphones/earphones are right for you without trying out different brands/models.

Plus I think most people would agree they would rather have a benz versus a civic, so why doesn't everyone just save up for a benz?

Aug 11, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 41
Is it really that big of a jump from the triple-fis? I thought it was the same as the triple-fis, but customized to you for a better seal-fitting.
With that, for me, its not worth it for the price. Needs a 30% price reduction imo if it ever is intended for major consumer use; which it isn't intended for.

Aug 11, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by noremedy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many people enjoy the journey, the experience, to take it all in one step defeats the object of audiophilism in some respects, as you skip out the path of deciding which you think is the best. I went straight to 530's which at the time i percieved to be the best, better than the UE10's and UE11's were not out then. To an extent i do agree with you in that any serious audiophile will eventually get to the top with UE11's and perhaps some may even prefer there lower down etmo's for what ever reason. However, i believe many people go up in stages for financial reasons which i believe is a very respectable and understandable reason for not instantly going out and spending 1000 dollars on a pair of IEMs. Most people when they come here think spending 100 dollars on a pair of ear buds is obscene, but as you can see they grow into the hobby and burn their wallets before they realise, 1000 dollars is a small price to pay for such sonic supremecy.

Ben

Very true!

Aug 11, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They cost 5 times more than those phones you mentioned. Is it 5 times better? That's excluding the amplication you'll probably need to get the best out of them.

You're right, I guess it's a question of how much it's worth to you to achieve the best possible sound. Incrementely it's an expensive proposition.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, one thing I'm acquiring more and more is a finer discernment of music. These UE10s are supposed to be some of the best and I agree, they do sound much better than anything that came before them, but I'm coming to discern inadequacies about them, it seems. For example, the drum symbols in a song don't sound quite like real drums symbols but rather sound almost like a high pitched hiss rather than stick hitting metal.

I don't think the driver is able to produce the real sound. Had I jumped straight up to these without growing into the hobby with lower end stuff, I may have the opinion that these things are horrible just because of what i mentioned about the symbols.

Lewis,

I've only got one thing to say.... UE-11's! Come on, they already have your ear measurements.......

Aug 11, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lewis,

I've only got one thing to say.... UE-11's! Come on, they already have your ear measurements.......

lol..Actually I though you were referring to the UE10 Pros, the universal fit. Then i realized you were talking about custom UE10s. These uni-10s are the best, as far as i'm concerned, but they aren't perfect. It was a challenge just to get these, and i had to do some trading. I won't bother with the custom 10s. Right now I'm Homer'ing for a Pico...
biggrin.gif

I'll let the rest of you all have the customs...unless I get a set of Live Wires.

Aug 11, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not? They're great. You'll never hear anything approaching these babies.

Sound quality is in the ear of the beholder.

Aug 11, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #15 of 41
because buying something that cant be returned or sold on should you not like the sound would be like going outside to the nearest drain and depositing the contents of your wallet in there.

Aside from the issues ue seem to have with construction ala the clear earpiece design not to mention the possibility of remoulds, a potential 4 year only life span and the fact you can get k1000 for this money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back