Why No Remote Volume Control?
Sep 30, 2001 at 10:04 PM Post #16 of 23
Well if you are going to use a wired remote, you are going to have to worry about cables... and they can pick up interference easily... degradation of sound from large distances... etc...

Sep 30, 2001 at 10:35 PM Post #17 of 23
Ray
The high end Headroom headphone amps are also marketed as no frills basic preamp which can be used in a simple (not home theater) audiophile main system because of added features including a line out. Just feel it would be nice to have remote volume option.

I can almost rationalize spending big bucks for Headroom Max since it could also be used as preamp in my main system, saving me the cost of buying both units seperately.....if only it had remote volume.

Oct 1, 2001 at 2:29 AM Post #18 of 23
At least one Audio Alchemy component had only remote volume control - with no adjustment at the component itself. The notion that the means by which one adjusts the volume somehow affects the sound is ludicrous. If "extra" components would adversely affect the sound, then the ultimate in sound reproduction would be those old Edison wax cylinder machines. You know, the ones where the needle acts directly against a diaphagm mounted in an accoustically tuned horn? Just like some way overblown high end speakers?

As far as the NEED for a remote goes, I can't imagine having any audio component out of arm's reach of my primary posterior parking parcel.

Speaking of Edison players, one of the antique stores about a mile up the road has a few of them (both the machines and the cylinders) for sale. Now THERE'S antique sound!

Oct 1, 2001 at 1:11 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by rohorn

As far as the NEED for a remote goes, I can't imagine having any audio component out of arm's reach of my primary posterior parking parcel.

With speaker systems, I guess it is a tradeoff: Either you position the components next to your listening chair but then you face longer cable runs for the speaker cable. Or you get a remote. Either way there will be some degradation (whether audible or not, you decide, I'm not getting into that one) ....

Oct 1, 2001 at 3:31 PM Post #20 of 23
Well, if money isn't an object there is a quite startling solution. The Placette remote volume control.

www.placetteaudio.com

I'm not sure that there is a reason it wouldn't work between the source and a headphone amp.

I've just started auditioning it. It costs $1000, has only one input and output (however a 3 line stage version is available for $1400). It's advertised as a passive preamp. The major advertised selling point is the use of Vichey resistors, which are supposed to be the "best" (I can't tell you why). They're generally not used because they cost more than other resistors. Also, I've heard that 50% of the cost of this volume control goes into material -- which is extraordinarily high. It's only sold direct. You can find most info you'll need on the web site. TAS also did a review of the Placette active preamp and gave it rave reviews.

I have been amazed by the improvement in detail, absence of background noise, depth and dimensionality, and loss of graininess (which I didn't hear until I compared with and without the Placette).

I have it plugged between a very good cd player (Cary 306/200) and a low hi-fi integrated amp (Musical Fidelity A220). The sonic improvements are just fantastic. The MF doesn't have jumpers between the pre and power amps so I just turn the volume control to the max and control the volume remotely through the Placette. So far so good. Guy at Placette is a great "guy" to deal with and you have a 30 day home trial period.

Bob

Oct 1, 2001 at 5:53 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

The notion that the means by which one adjusts the volume somehow affects the sound is ludicrous.

rohorn, that's a pretty strong statement
wink.gif
I dunno -- I think I buy into the argument that motorized or electronic volume controls can affect the sound. Maybe not enough for most people to hear, though.

Oct 1, 2001 at 6:22 PM Post #23 of 23
Um, yes - to a point. I should have qualified my statement by assuming that the volume control hardware in question was NOT flawwed to start with. A good quality volume control - whether or not it is touched by human hands - will work equally well.

I also have no doubt that some lashed on kluge would degrade the equipment! If THAT'S what you mean, you have no arguement from me! Either way, sorry if my post read like an attack on yours!!

I can't help but wonder if some of the negativity towards high end remotes is the asssociated mental imagery of some dumb fat guy resting his jowls on his chest while he watches brain dead TV (redundent phrase?) sports shows. A remote also reduces one's involvement and effort (and therefore, attention) spent on the equipment.

I would think that a remote would be perfect for any format with microseismic concerns, such as LPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back