Why No Remote Volume Control?
Sep 30, 2001 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
I have always wondered why headphone amps that cost close to $1000 or more don't have remote volume control. If you are going to to spend this much money for headphone amp you will not be using for portable CDP, but in main system where you often sit back 8ft or more from components. And even the high end audiophile preamps usually have remote volume/input selection.

Since some of these $1000 amps have a set of output RCAs, like Headroom models (some even have dual switchable inputs), and could be used as pre-amp it seems a shame/oversight not to include remote volume. Any thoughts?

Sep 30, 2001 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 23
McBiff
Yes that is true, but certain features are very useful and you must trade off that minute increase in sound quality and slight increase in cost vs the great added convience remote volume adds. Should at least be offered as an option, I bet most people would buy it. In the old days audiophile preamps used to not use remotes, but now many do.

How many times have you been relaxed on the couch/easy chair listening to your beloved headphones and wanted to adjust volume, but it was just too much trouble to get up. A mute feature would be nice while we are at it.

Sep 30, 2001 at 3:52 PM Post #4 of 23
I agree, it would be great to have a remote control. The lack of a remote is killing me on my NAD 304 integrated, especially since average sound levels sometimes differ from song to song or movement to movement. At least with my Headroom "Little" I can set it up next to my bed or listening chair, within arms reach. But a remote would be very nice.....

Sep 30, 2001 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 23
I believe that it is costly to make a high quality remote volume control. One option is a motorized pot, which aren't usually hifi. The other is a semiconductor-controlled resistor network, which some people would object to (tube amps?). Anyways, just my thoughts.

Sep 30, 2001 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 23
Build an infrared transmitter.. And a receiver.. Tape a motor to the top of your amp, wrap a rubber band around the volume knob and the motor spindle, and off you go! Instant remote control!

Sep 30, 2001 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 23
I think it's to do with the distance from you and the amp, most headphones cable are 3m, so it's not that far. But a speakers system, you can be 5m+ away.

So the manufaturer bascially saying by not giving you a remote, get off your arse and don't be so lazy!

Seriously, are you always make use of that 3m in length? and once you have a volumn set, are you going to turn it up and down constantly? Most CD players come with a remote so when you need to stop the music, you press pause on the CD player with your remote, not mute on the amp. Same thing when watching a video, when the phone rings and you go answer it. You pause the video, not press mute on the telly and let it keep playing, or do you?

Sep 30, 2001 at 7:48 PM Post #9 of 23
Well I guess others don't see this as much an inconvience as I do,
personally I would never buy a preamp or integrated that didn't have remote volume control, I realize you don't need to change volume often but to me it is essential feature.

I may be wrong but I bet if headroom offered remote volume on their higher end amps as a $100 option, 90% of customers would want it, especially if they plan to use it as a preamp.

Sep 30, 2001 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

certain features are very useful and you must trade off that minute increase in sound quality and slight increase in cost vs the great added convience remote volume adds

The people who buy high-end components tend to see remote controls as things that adversely affect the sound. This is also perpetuated by review mags. End result -- volume controls are not "audiophile" features.

Quote:

I may be wrong but I bet if headroom offered remote volume on their higher end amps as a $100 option, 90% of customers would want it, especially if they plan to use it as a preamp.

I think you're wrong
wink.gif

Seriously, though, I think the people in the market for a $1777 Max are for the most part people who believe in the theory above -- remote controls adversely affect sound quality.

Sep 30, 2001 at 8:52 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
I belive that the newest version of the Headmaster amp does in fact has a remote control. So far, it's the only headphone amp that I know of which has this feature.

I believe the newest version of the Sugden headmaster has a remote. I am not sure if it does both remote switching and volume control.

Sep 30, 2001 at 9:39 PM Post #13 of 23
Mac
I think that mentality was around several years ago, but if you go down the list of Stereophile Class A/B preamps most come with remotes, or offer them as options:

Here is an Audio Research, but could be Krell, BAT etc. Even audiophiles realize certain creature comforts are needed.

Now if Headroom charged $500 for remote volume I agree not many takers, but if it can be added for @$100 let me have it!
The headroom headphone amp remote only really needs volume adjust and perhaps input select, 2-4 buttons total.

I will admit hardcore audiophile mouths start to drool when you mention stepped-attenuators for volume control, maybe I will lower prediction to 75% for remote volume sales, he,he,he

Sep 30, 2001 at 9:44 PM Post #14 of 23
You may notice that the Pre amps that offer remote are for HiFi speakers system. It's a difference market compare to a headphone system, where the speakers system has a much bigger market compare to headphones. And there's a Power amp to go with that Pre-amp you've shown, the remote is probably a system remote, able to control the power no doubt.

You are not going to find a Pre-Power headphone amplifier, probably ever, why? Because you are never going to need 200W per channel are you? the size itself means all can be done in one small casing. It'll be Tiny and would cost a lot more if it's split up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back