Why no love for headroom amps?
Jun 8, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #106 of 114
I have a headroom maxed out home,  I bought it in 2002, drives my Hifiman he6 very well.  Does anyone know how many watts per channel these put out?

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #107 of 114
I saw this come up on eBay this AM: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HeadRoom-Ultra-Desktop-Amp-w-Desktop-Power-Supply-Headphones-AMP-/201371573333

Please let me be clear I didn't list this or know who did.

The Desktop Power Supply was sold for $599 near the end of the run on its own (Jorge told me their parts got more expensive, so they raised the price by $100), and this auction comes with it (its cord), and the Desktop Amp with built in DAC. The listing says Ultra, so maybe there was an ultra upgrade purchased inside. I know some units could be bought with upgraded "ultra" versions, but the name in the front just says Headroom Desktop Amp, so it might be worth inquiring.

At any rate, the listing is an absolute steal at listing price and good deal at its buy it now.

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #108 of 114
I saw this come up on eBay this AM: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HeadRoom-Ultra-Desktop-Amp-w-Desktop-Power-Supply-Headphones-AMP-/201371573333

Please let me be clear I didn't list this or know who did.

The Desktop Power Supply was sold for $599 near the end of the run on its own (Jorge told me their parts got more expensive, so they raised the price by $100), and this auction comes with it (its cord), and the Desktop Amp with built in DAC. The listing says Ultra, so maybe there was an ultra upgrade purchased inside. I know some units could be bought with upgraded "ultra" versions, but the name in the front just says Headroom Desktop Amp, so it might be worth inquiring.

At any rate, the listing is an absolute steal at listing price and good deal at its buy it now.

I concur. If any one wants or is after this amp buy this now, absolute killer price..............and no it's not me selling. My Headroom amp isn't going anywhere fast and if it was it wouldn't be for this low price I can assure you.

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #109 of 114
It looks like the seller updated the description with a huge block of text without line returns (ugh) that seems to be from someone's review.  Nevertheless, it's unclear what modules might be in this unit.  The description says it's an Ultra, but that's not listed on the amp/dac.  I think you could've upgraded the modules to the Max versions (as listed in the review).  Does anyone recall how it worked on this line?

I don't need need the unit, but at that price I might bid at the lowest level to keep the DPS as a spare and sell the amp/dac.

Jul 21, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #110 of 114
I doubt anyone will see this, but anyone out there still own and love their Headroom Amps?

Around 2007-2009 I finally decided to get a desktop amp for my HD-650, AKG K702 and DT-990 Premium.
I'm ashamed to admit I was clueless back then and only used them with a portable amp with an Ipod 2G (Monochrome!).
Sounded fine to me.

So anyway I fell for the hype and bought a Schiit Asgard 1. I'd say that sadly it sounded like crap on mostly everything. Not sure why.
I doubt anyone has measured that amp, but I bet the results would be pretty bad. Schiit has definitely improved for sure.

So I spent the money on a Headroom Amp. Felt pricey at around $330 at the time.

I've loved it since day one and even in 2022 it still works great and "sounds" great. There is no many headphones it can't handle well.

I finally found an amp that's comparable under $300 and that seems to be the Schii Magni 3+.

The only major difference is that the soundstage seems slightly wider on the 3+
I don't know what causes this.

The Micro Amp and DAC were some of my most treasured audio components lol. If someone offered me $1000 each i'd refuse!

I've seen measurements of it, but not sure how much distortion it has in general. must be pretty low and not audible. Anyone tested that?

I have the AC only powered Micro with that giant power supply. I also got the Astrodyne PSU on both (one was free).

BTW I found it interesting that the Micro seems to have like 6 (or is it 8?) Op-Amps on it (OPA2134 I think.) Never heard of that before.

Jul 22, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #111 of 114
I see it, and yes, I use my Headroom Balanced Triple Stack with the Desktop Power Supply. It’s still amazing! It’s great to hear your stories :)

Jul 22, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #112 of 114
The real gem is the HR Max Balanced and Home Balanced amps w/ MAX modules. These two amps still hold their owns against sub $3000s solid state offering of today. The HR Max Balanced is truly wonderful. Mine even equip with the RK50 volume control.

Jul 22, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #113 of 114
Those things are really awesome. I think my Triple Stack hits better performance (later models) in conversation when I bought the kit from HR, but I haven’t heard that unit. I’d love to. I almost bought a nice example on eBay a few years ago but couldn’t figure out where to put it. Do you have pics?

Jul 22, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #114 of 114
I used to have the Triple Stack and they are great but these two especially the Max Balanced are in the class by itself. I can post pics later. I modded my unit to have 4.4 mm output jack in the front and this yield even better sound thank to an OFC jack by Pentaconn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back