Why my ears keep dropping in-ear monitors?
Jan 30, 2015 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

RixNox

Head-Fier
I am an unhappy in-ear monitors user, because at the moment I couldn't find a model that will not drop so easily from my ears.
At the moment I have tested 3 different models from Samsung and one from Apple: all of them will easily detach/drop from my ears, regardless the size of the rubber ring...
I wonder if this is a common problem or if it does exist a brand that has multiple adapters to really fit any kind of ear shape.....
I should find a model that will really plug into my ears and move only when a medium/high strength is applied to the cable....

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #2 of 23

Is it because your ear canals are large or small? I find that many tips are too big for my ear canals and that is why the don't fit well. I now use aftermarket triflange tips on my SE215's and RHA T10's.

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #3 of 23
Yeah, you really need to experiment with different size tips to find what works best for you. For instance, a larger tip might give you a seal but due to the size not go very deep into your ear canal, and then will be more prone to coming loose. Go down a tip size or so, so that you can get the earphone in your ear deeper with a more secure fit.

You can also try wearing your IEMs "up", or over-the-ear like so:

This way the weight of the cable is partially supported by your ear, and it isn't tugging at the body of the earphone. You also eliminate mostly all cable noise/microphonics this way. Some models are designed to be worn this way only.

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #4 of 23
I was in your shoes a while back - it was the MOST FRUSTRATING THING EVER.

I see 2 options in your case.

1. Different ear tips and styles - like Rearwing said, triflange tips, foam tips, etc... are all great. Especially when you get into higher models they have more comfortable and fitting material that also goes deeper in the ear. The Shure SE215s are great at staying in your ear. You could also try the Sol Republic Relays (they're available in lots of Tech Retail stores in the USA), and once you find the right tip size for you, they won't fall out, even while running. You could also go with the kind of earbuds that have a concha lock (a little nub-thingy that sits comfortably in your outer ear - take a look at the Bose Freestyle series).

2. Go custom. :)

Goodluck!

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #5 of 23
Very good thoughts! 

Is the tip stay size standard on all models? If so I may try multiple tips before changing the whole in-ear monitor?

You could also try the Sol Republic Relays (they're available in lots of Tech Retail stores in the USA),

I leave in Italy! The problem is that in this online-shopping era, there's no try-before-you-buy :)

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 23
  Very good thoughts! 

Is the tip stay size standard on all models? If so I may try multiple tips before changing the whole in-ear monitor?

I leave in Italy! The problem is that in this online-shopping era, there's no try-before-you-buy :)

Well not "try" per say but buy! :)

Here's the Amazon Italy link, if they are absolutely awful or defective, you can return them to Amazon.

http://www.amazon.it/SOL-REPUBLIC-RELAYS-3-BUTTON-Headset/dp/B00I0JDOXI

I'd check out some of the other models too! They're great!

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #7 of 23
@bluejay two more questions:

1) Out of 3 in-ear monitors, 2 (samsung) got spolied: one of the two buds stopped working; probably defective electric contacts... did you ever expereince such a problem?

Quote:

I'd check out some of the other models too! They're great!

2) Aren't the Relay a good model?

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #8 of 23
1. I have not, thankfully! But, there is an issue that occurs with a few pairs of the Relays; the mic and controls stop working. If that could potentially be an issue for you, then let me know!

2. They are fantastic! They have a very tailored sound, but it sounds great, and they sit really comfortably and securely in my ear.

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 23
  1. I have not, thankfully! But, there is an issue that occurs with a few pairs of the Relays; the mic and controls stop working. If that could potentially be an issue for you, then let me know!

Oh, well spending about 80 euro/dollars, knowing in advance they may spoil isn't a big deal.... however they should offer a warranty, here in Italy Amazon offers a 2 year warranty on it's items...

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #12 of 23
Nope it's standard! But, they have there own custom wheel holder thing that holds it in your ear :) but that's after the tip attachment! The first time I tried them, I was disappointed by the sound, but then I tried on the right sized tips, and it became like 300% better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back