Why most of the old recordings ae 24bit and the new are 16bit?
Feb 3, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #181 of 189
  You guys should just listen to the music and ignore the rest!

A little hard to do - AFTER the CDs have been so polished out and people got acustomed to "perfection".

The limited frequency response of CD has an artificial benefit over any recording with more bandwidth - it will also filter out any noise above 20 kHz (ok, 22.050 Hz to be exact ) - giving quieter/blacker "background" than even real live sound.  So quiet music as from some CDs is simply impossible under real conditions heard live.

I certainly like to listen to the music - but unnecessary noises from clothing - or even worse, some squeaky chairs within the orchestra - are going to be a destraction. Once during a recording, a zipper on the conductor's pullover drove us crazy for about half an hour - it would always rear its ugly head in the quietest moments. Cin, cin, cin - being the loudest sound at the moment.

A 0.5 cent worth of masking tape saved the day ...

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #182 of 189
  *Probably* yes. I have to go again trough the book of Neumann microphones - IIRC, their lowest noise microphone should be in this range. ADC is less of a problem - but that still does not mean it is easy to make such a thing.

However, it has nothing to do with any normal music. I divide conductors to "good" and "bad" - on the grounds of their - clothing... During the rehearsal, they are usually "good" - wearing leisure clothes that usually are "noiseless". Come concert, they will be "in war paints" - with tuxedo, shirts, trousers, shoes, (in case of women jewelry ) all "oversound" any reasonable low noise microphone - becoming "bad". I know they have to "wave" the most in some intense quiet passages, giving the orchestra/singers necessary cues - but it is horrible sounding on a recording. FAR more noisier than the noise of the air (or 0 or N ) molecules colliding  ...

Cool.
I'm looking forward to the day I can decide the atmospheric composition in the venue while listening to a recording from it.
(Who just farted? With good stereo resolution maybe I can even localize the culprit?)

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #184 of 189

Cool.
I'm looking forward to the day I can decide the atmospheric composition in the venue while listening to a recording from it.
(Who just farted? With good stereo resolution maybe I can even localize the culprit?)

The first is a bit far fetched proposition for now.

For the second - we are there already. During the first concert video streaming with my sound, camera guy was startled he could accurately pinpoint the flutist who just prior to her entrance, moistened her lips - WITHOUT seeing it, as he was focused on a nearby player doing his solo. There were two flutes and he knew exactly which one made the noise - confirming it on the playback of the video recording immediately after the end of the concert.

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #185 of 189
similar fallacy as in the days of MOS FET power amps, where manufacturers were claiming they are near equivalents of tubes - quietly omitting the fact that input of MOS FET presents a HUGE capacitance, made even worse by the fact that P and N channel devices were quite different - requiring to add additional capacitance across the input of either N or P ( forgot which, 20 + years ago ) device(s) - and THAT combined load required de facto driver that was not that much smaller power amp in itself as the output stage - amounting to sometimes 50% of the power rating of the actual output solely for the driver.

You don't directly drive the output stage gate of a FET (or BJT for that matter)..  Or course it is too big.  There are a series of transistor stages that builds up the gain before driving the final stage.  Your input stage is a small transistor with high gain and low input capacitance.  You get the right gate drive levels by end-to-end feedback loop and the middle stages are sized correctly.  This is very standard, this is not even my field but any design on the back of a magazine that I saw when messing with this stuff 20+ years ago had this topology.

So I'm not really sure what you are referring to.  Maybe there were a few hokey products back then but let's not confuse the issue - FETs are just fine.

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #186 of 189
Too many initials! I plug my player into my amp and my amp into my speakers!

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #187 of 189

You don't directly drive the output stage gate of a FET (or BJT for that matter)..  Or course it is too big.  There are a series of transistor stages that builds up the gain before driving the final stage.  Your input stage is a small transistor with high gain and low input capacitance.  You get the right gate drive levels by end-to-end feedback loop and the middle stages are sized correctly.  This is very standard, this is not even my field but any design on the back of a magazine that I saw when messing with this stuff 20+ years ago had this topology.

So I'm not really sure what you are referring to.  Maybe there were a few hokey products back then but let's not confuse the issue - FETs are just fine.

The amp in question that DOES differ from the normal topology using MOSFET output transistors is Acoustat TNT 200 (and subsequent models ) designed by Jim Strickland. IIRC, the driver does NOT drive the gate of the MOSFETs - it was found that this topology is much easier to drive than the standard one. 

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/102498-hey-found-acoustat-tnt-200-schematic-tnp-preamp.html

I agree there must be some smaller transistors before the grand finale - I have yet to study the SRM1MK2 in full. As it is an amp using by now obsolete parts ( high voltage transistors used are normally used for horizontal deflection in cathode ray colour TV screens; since TVs have become pancakes, high voltage parts are ever harder to source ), I try to mess with it as little as possible. The reason why it behaves so to prefer really low output impedance "devices" supplying its signal, means there must be something frequency dependant (reflecting back? - remember, load is pure capacitance) at its input. As it is, I prefer having to drive it with a low output impedance source to doing anything else - it works OK this way for me. 

Believe me, at this moment above is the least of my concerns. My Lambda Pro developed a problem ( loss of sensitivity, not that uncommon after 30 or so years ) and now I am gathering together the courage to try to open and repair it WITHOUT tearing the driver diaphragm. Having built my own electrostatic earspeakers, I am familiar with what had happened, problem is that the driver of the Lambda Pro is NOT designed to be rebuildable - basically, one is at the mercy of the glue(s) holding everything together - it can fall apart all by itself (documented on head-fi) - but it could equally tear the diaphragm . Only one way to find out ... - each dab of the glue holding the driver together was applied by hand and there is no way of telling how much force will be required to pry the driver open.

Original Lambda Pro replacement drivers have not been available for years, if not decades

The reason why I do not want any other model of Lambda than Pro is the fact that I own Diffuse Field Equalizer Monitor 1 ED - tailor made for Lambda Pro.  Any change of diaphragm ("easy" to do, lighter, faster, allowing lower resonant frequency and better dynamic range ...) means its frequency response will no longer be compatible with its dedicated equalizer - something I would like to avoid at all costs. Lambda Pro is getting exceedingly rare for sale, its price is slowly but steadily going up, it is 30 or so years old by now - and that means it could happen again with a "new" set. That is why I am slowly building the courage to try to open it without damaging it - it was never meant to be done, replacement of the driver only. Subsequent models of Lambda have adressed this problem - much easier for repairs.

P.S: There is a schematics for the TNT-200 amp - on page 3 of the thread from the link above. It is driving the gates after all ... - but it is different enough from normal to allow for the patent to be granted. United States Patent US4467288

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #188 of 189
  Too many initials! I plug my player into my amp and my amp into my speakers!

Well apparently if you get something designed by Jim Strickland, it is more like a player into an amp into another amp, and maybe into a 3rd and then into tin cups ... and then sprinkle some of your pixie dust.  Hmmm.
popcorn.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #189 of 189

Well apparently if you get something designed by Jim Strickland, it is more like a player into an amp into another amp, and maybe into a 3rd and then into tin cups ... and then sprinkle some of your pixie dust.  Hmmm.
popcorn.gif

Well, he designed for a purpose - of driving electrostatic speakers. Essentially pure capacitance, sooner or later next to dead short at some high frequency, not necesarry above audio band. Although I have never heard any of the TNT amps, driving electrostatics or anything else, they were quite popular and succesfull in the market. 

Most "normal" amps, even if their power rating and whatever suggest otherwise, usually crack under ESLs - there are VERY few that can take the load. TNT amps most certainly could - otherwise, Hafler would not have acquired Acoustat and replaced its own MOSFET designs with somewhat modified TNTs. 

Acoustat subsequently got sold to Italy, then finally to China - http://www.acoustat.co.uk/loud-speakers-about-acoustat.html - where almost all ESLs are being built today - even Quad.

All could do with a decent amp for them. Hmmmm...

As ESLs can have wildly fluctuating impedance ( can be around 100 ohms at the low resonant frequency, falling below 1 ohm in the (audible) highs), German manufacturer Audio Exclusiv made a very constant input impedance interface for the ESLs - but you need "welder" & some pretty high cross section cables : it is hovering between 0.25 and 0.45 ohm 20-20k ...
rolleyes.gif
. Here is its somewhat more human friendly current version: http://www.audio-exklusiv.de/en/products/electrostatic-p31/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back