Why is there a political ad on Head-Fi???
Nov 3, 2008 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

earwicker7

Headphoneus Supremus
First thing I see on Head-Fi this morning is one of those "Yes on Proposition 8!" ads; you know, the reactionary homophobic law that bigots in California are trying to pass.

I'm guessing this thread will be deleted for being political... anyone see the irony here? I thought there was no politics on this site, and I like it that way.

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 7
Ironically, the ad I get when I bring this page up is for the film "The God Who Wasn't There."

I suppose if I want to start posting politics, I need to go through google.

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ironically, the ad I get when I bring this page up is for the film "The God Who Wasn't There."

I suppose if I want to start posting politics, I need to go through google.

It's possible that they're only putting this ad on the screen of people from California. Big brother knows where I live
biggrin.gif
!

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 7
I get an Obama themed "Vote Early in Colorado Ad" at the top of the start page. Seems it's in at least two places.

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 7
I see the irony!
We are in the mercy of Google though, as the afaik run the ads.

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see the irony!
We are in the mercy of Google though, as the afaik run the ads.

That's interesting... so there are the official "sponsored" ads from hi-fi people, but also random Google ads?

Any of the mods care to comment on this?

I'm actually a very political person and love political discourse, but I also like the fact that there are places I can get away from it, and Head-Fi has always been one of those places until today.

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 7
Maybe because nothing is perfect, and it's impossible to control all of the content of ads that pop up because we don't control that software directly? Such an answer would seem obvious to me, unless of course, the whole purpose of this thread is merely to complain for the sake of complaining.

Oh well, you can't please everyone. Keep in mind, however, that it does cost money to run this site, and that the advertisements help to offset the support that would otherwise be required from our sponsors and members.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back