Why is the Pico $225 more than the D10
May 14, 2009 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Scott_Tarlow

1000+ Head-Fier
For a while now, I have been going back and fourth between a Pico USB DAC/AMP and the D10. Everyone seems to be pretty sold on both, with D10 seeming to have this huge Fotm status. I want to use the the device with my ESW9's and soon to be had TF10's. So I guess the point of me making this is, is the D10 really better than Pico as a USB DAC+Amp, or does it only beat the Pico when it is plugged in via optical, which I will not be using? I must admit, the ascetics of the Pico is really what is making this hard, even though the D10 isn't bad. Stupid choices and stupid limited wallet.

May 14, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #2 of 51
Hm, why is a Porsche more than a Yugo ?
smily_headphones1.gif

I believe the price difference is already given by producing the Pico in the USA and the iBasso in China.
This does not mean that one of these amps needs to be or sound better than the other
smily_headphones1.gif

Jochen

May 14, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you've ever held each one in your hand, you'd know the answer.

I haven't seen a D10 in person, but the Pico does scream quality the moment you pick it up. Everything from the heft of the unit, to the silk-screened enclosure, and the feel of the volume knob is pure sex.

I'm actually struggling with the temptation to get a Pico DAC-only to go with my DAC-amp now
redface.gif

May 14, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 51
Quote:

If you've ever held each one in your hand, you'd know the answer.

And that's before you even turn them on.
wink.gif

So you are saying the build quality of the pico is that much better? and I just realized that the Pico is 225 more, not 125 more ><

May 14, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #6 of 51
No man, what he's saying is: "sit down and evaluate for yourself if you think a better enclosure is worth $225 extra."

May 14, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you are saying the build quality of the pico is that much better? and I just realized that the Pico is 225 more, not 125 more ><

Yeah, and then there is sound quality.

May 14, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #9 of 51
first ibasso is from china. enough said of china products.

my 1st amp T4 gets RF interference like cup corns when i am commuting, my mustang is quiet as a mouse. but i prefer ibasso sound after testing D10.

personal sound preference and product quality. like toyota vs porsche.

May 14, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #10 of 51
Quote:

Yeah, and then there is sound quality.

He's got both in front of him. So why not let him judge? This whole need for audiophiles to always believe that spending more is hearing more just makes people spend more than they need just to feel safe. "I spent the extra $225, so now I know I have the better amp.

It's so typical.

May 14, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He's got both in front of him. So why not let him judge? This whole need for audiophiles to always believe that spending more is hearing more just makes people spend more than they need just to feel safe. "I spent the extra $225, so now I know I have the better amp.

It's so typical.

Well...it IS made by Headamp.
ph34r.gif

May 14, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #12 of 51
It's not better because it's $225 more, it's just better. If that doesn't matter to you, then pick the cheaper one. There's always something that sounds better, is smaller, looks better, is shinier, or whatever. You have to pick what combination of features, price and quality matters to you.

May 14, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #13 of 51
While the D10 may be made in China, the many people here that have one can attest to it being a quality product. The shipping itself is super fast (I was surprised when I got my D10 from China to Australia twice as fast as getting headphones from within Australia to another part).

A part of me would love to get a Pico based on it's awesomesauce looks, but for those on a budget looking for a good amp/dac that has further bonus features like opamp rolling, the D10 did it.

Why is the Pico more expensive? *shrug*

May 14, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #14 of 51
Higher cost for custom enclosure, both the case itself and the finish
Smaller form factor
R&D cost for DAC design
dual LiPoly cell plus custom charging circuit
built and designed in the US, with higher associated costs

That's why the pico is more expensive than the D10

May 14, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #15 of 51
^ Much better quality volume knob and other parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back