Why is the iPod not a good enough mp3 player?
Sep 4, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #61 of 77

Quote:
I'll have to find someone that owns an iTouch 4G then; So far I've auditioned 5.5G, 6&7G iPods, and a 3GS iPhone, and wasn't impressed.

You should also consider using it via a line out dock and a decent portable amp to really make your mind up. That is where the ipods true potential is. Its internal amp is its weak point when compared to other similarly priced DAPs.

Sep 4, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #62 of 77

Quote:
Really?, I thought they were exactly the same. At least that is what I have heard from everyone whose compared the two?

I can vouch for that. The difference wasn't discerned by my co-workers who I got to download the EQu on their iPhone 4 sets, but they're not into analytical audio experience. I always had to pay to reach a conclusion. I asked on this forum before I bought the Touch 4 but ther wasn't any serious input.

Sep 4, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #63 of 77

Quote:
You should also consider using it via a line out dock and a decent portable amp to really make your mind up. That is where the ipods true potential is. Its internal amp is its weak point when compared to other similarly priced DAPs.

Touch 4 + RSA Predator + AH-D Denon 5000 = sheer brilliance.

Sep 4, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #64 of 77

Interesting. Anyways my iphone/UHA4 combo really isn't for critical listening its more for non-critical-on-the-go setup. My Hifman 601 and Sflo2 are for my audio experience although I am returning the Sflo2 due to defect and will just keep the Hifiman.
Quote:
I can vouch for that. The difference wasn't discerned by my co-workers who I got to download the EQu on their iPhone 4 sets, but they're not into analytical audio experience. I always had to pay to reach a conclusion. I asked on this forum before I bought the Touch 4 but ther wasn't any serious input.

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #67 of 77

Quote:
I think it has 30+ hours of battery life. To me that is more than enough I mean how much do you need lol.

If only they lasted that long on angry birds 
atsmile.gif

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #68 of 77

Quote:
If only they lasted that long on angry birds 
atsmile.gif

That's why I bought an extra 6-foot long USB cable for my Touch 4G. When I play games, especially the ones that require Wi-fi, I sit near an outlet with my wall USB charger.
atsmile.gif

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #69 of 77
The line outputs are a clear improvement over the appalling headphone outputs, but nevertheless, my RH1 still beat every iPod I compared it to, even if I sometimes find its sound a little bit too warm. But that is typical of Sony's Walkman sound signature, although I did read that the X series changed somewhat in this regard. Therefore I am looking for another portable solution: the Sony Hi-MD Walkmans aren't of audiophile standard, even if they sound pretty good indeed; not to mention impractical in terms of storage.

I have tried the iPods with an Onkyo dock and with a Denon one. Unfortunately only using the headphone output of the amps to which they were hooked to, since I don't own a headphone amp yet.
Quote:
You should also consider using it via a line-out dock and a decent portable amp to really make your mind up. That is where the iPods true potential is. Its internal amp is its weak point when compared to other similarly priced DAPs.

Sep 4, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #70 of 77

Quote:
Lively discussion, very interesting, and without hostility. I like this thread.

+1.

To continue the discussion, I have no LOD for my Touch, and I think the headphone-out compares favorably with any other player I own.....two Cowons, D2 and iAudio9, Sony S639, Sansa Clip+(rockboxed),and Sansa Clip Zip.

Sep 4, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #71 of 77

Quote:
I think it has 30+ hours of battery life. To me that is more than enough I mean how much do you need lol.

Mine dies in matter of days, at lowest bright setting and volume at around 1/3 at highest.

Even my 5 years old Sony DAP lasts longer than newly purchased iPod Touch G4. My 2 years old G3 dies even faster.

Sep 4, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #72 of 77
I think it's a pretty good player, i mean, i never heard some more hi-fi gear, like the Hi-fi man or walkmans, but they sound nice to me, and the battery life is good, i think. I use a iPod Touch 8gb and it last like two days, using apps, reading emails and everything.

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #73 of 77
Al-right, appalling was too strong a word, once again I get carried away.

I just find that a track in ALAC doesn't come over as punchy and lacks in three-dimensional imaging compared to the same track in PCM on my Hi-MD Walkman, both using line out into an amp. Via their headphone out, the differences are clear; via the line out, the iPod improves greatly, but still feels duller.

I'm not a Sony fan-boy or something, and can't comment on their recent flash players' SQ. I guess I find it a shame that Apple nearly had the perfect DAP with the iPod, but failed in terms of SQ.

Otherwise I'd gladly move on and skip lugging all my 1GB Hi-MD MiniDiscs around. I was going to do so with a DIYMod, but since the release of the new portable iDAC's, I'm considering a Classic + HP-P1.

Sep 4, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #74 of 77
Just thought I'd give my experience of my Ipod Touch 32 Gig. Mine has an EQ in the settings that sounds best on its rock setting, even with hip hop. It doesn't power my Grado sr 60 phones as well as I want, so i don't use them on it. But it's thin and holds tons of music. My last player was a Zune. I found the software much better, and the album art was always found automatically. IMO the Itunes software sucks compared to Zune. I don't download much music, but the Zune Pass seemed pretty revolutionary for its time and I almost got it. That's about all I know about MP3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back