Why is the AKG K540 headphone so unknown on this site?
Nov 11, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #16 of 18
Heh. I found the Sennheiser Urbanite lags behind all the cans I already own when I auditioned them for a week for my preferences. My favorite cans I currently own are the AKG K240. I was looking at the HA-S680's, but I doubt they'd give me anything I don't already get from my other portables, but if they are that great I may as well go ahead and buy them and give them a fair review.

Do you have a bright amp/DAC? If so, pair them with it. The sound is truly amazing when you boost the treble up. 

Without EQ, they are also amazing, but sometimes (just with songs that are a bit treble shy, not so with neutral treble recordings) they can come over as slightly lacking clarity.

But otherwise VERY detailed and clear sounding headphones. It's just that if a track has a boosted lower midrange or bass, the lower mids or bass can stick out a bit too much and sound slightly dull/boomy IF that same track also is treble shy.

But for 55 euro's, you can't go wrong. These all around definitely sound better and more realistic than the K540's (and the K540's sound VERY realistic and clear), so that's saying something about these cans :wink:.

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #17 of 18
Those are a very good value for your money. The treble quality is waaaay better of the JVC's than those of the AKG's (they basically never get sibilant, even with poorer quality recordings), mids are more forward, even more realistic and clearer than the K540's.

I'm not so sure about that. I received my JVC HA-S680 today. My initial thought is that I'm not impressed. They seem somewhat congested and a bit boomy. I'm going to try breaking them in, but I don't have high hopes.

The K540 I have sound much closer to my HE-500 than the HA-S680.

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #18 of 18
I'm not so sure about that. I received my JVC HA-S680 today. My initial thought is that I'm not impressed. They seem somewhat congested and a bit boomy. I'm going to try breaking them in, but I don't have high hopes.

The K540 I have sound much closer to my HE-500 than the HA-S680.

That's exactly what I thought when I first got them. After hours of burn in, they sound a lot better, but the bass remains a bit boomy.

Also, what you can try as well, is boosting the treble up. This will make them instantly a lot clearer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back