Why is PS3 still ridiculously priced?
May 3, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #151 of 208
I can imagine it now, using calls and laying scents. Only to shoot them with your remmington.
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, now now kids, lets not stop a console war. ALL the consoles are crap this time around. In fact, gaming as a whole has gone down in quality (favouring the quantity option for the most part). But that is old news.
Highflyin: who buys the 80 gb model? I have the early, backwards compatible model and you can add your own harddrive, and I have done. I call it the "1024 gb model"

May 3, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #152 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Highflyin: who buys the 80 gb model? I have the early, backwards compatible model and you can add your own harddrive, and I have done. I call it the "1024 gb model"

Well that's the cheapest one out right now, so I assume that's the one most people are buying. I do like how you don't have to use a propriety Sony hard drive to upgrade, unlike 360 where you have to shell out ~$150 for the 120 gigger. I'm still trying to cram as much as I can into the measly 20GB one it came with.

May 3, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #153 of 208
I really want to get a console this summer, but yeah the ps3 is still too expensive and the xbox360 is still horribly faulty. Guess I'll be playing Ape Escape for the next three months.

May 3, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #154 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, now now kids, lets not stop a console war. ALL the consoles are crap this time around. In fact, gaming as a whole has gone down in quality (favouring the quantity option for the most part). But that is old news.

small_orly_owl.jpg

There's so many things wrong with this assertion, but what I will say is come back when you've played MLB 08 or 09 on PS3.

May 4, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #155 of 208
hd drives 30 quid, hd movies 3 quid a pop albeit limited library.

Game choice, wifi access, streaming movies and music from the pc via using the xbox as a media extender and I see no issue between the two platforms (xbox or ps3)

and this is from someone who has only ever had playstations and psp's since they first came out.

Oh and while the ps3 may have greater reliability than the previous ps versions (although I have no idea if that is the case) after exchanging 2 ps1's and 3 ps 2's playstation lost me to an xbox elite and I've no plans to return.

May 4, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #156 of 208
you realize you jumped ship from sony to go to a system with a higher failure rate right? i mean the red ring of death isn't exactly a little known issue for the 360

May 4, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #157 of 208
Two of my friends have some of the first first generation xbox 360's out there and they get constant use... my other friend has the Halo 3 edition, one has an Elite edition, and I have a Falcon revision bought just a couple months ago. None of these consoles have failed and we've played Halo 3 on them for literally 4-5 hours straight without a problem. As long as you're not a complete idiot and leave your 360 in a non-enclosed area where the fans can keep circulating cool air through effectively, you won't have problems. I do know one person who had a RROD, and guess what? It's because they were a complete idiot and backed their 360 into a tiny enclosure so it was closed off on 5 sides and had no chance of any serious ventilation happening. You wouldn't put five walls around a gaming PC, thus, you shouldn't put a 360 with all of its ridiculous power-sucking hardware into an enclosed space like an entertainment center. Put it on a shelf without a back. It's not hard.

We have both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 at our apartment here and the PS3 barely ever gets used because it doesn't have any good games, meanwhile, we play Halo 3 on my 360 all the time. Heck, the most popular console in the whole apartment is actually my N64, because the games back then were and still are really fun.

May 4, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #158 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We have both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 at our apartment here and the PS3 barely ever gets used because it doesn't have any good games

Be honest and say it doesn't have games to your taste. I could just as easily say I didn't buy a 360 because it doesn't have good games either. I play sports games on console, you play FPS (Halo, at least). No one is right.

Yeah, I have a PS3 and I love it, but I think the 360's pretty good too. Just trying to be fair.

Console wars are dumb.

May 4, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #159 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you realize you jumped ship from sony to go to a system with a higher failure rate right? i mean the red ring of death isn't exactly a little known issue for the 360

Allegedly.

All I know is that I paid for my 360 elite twice over with the cost of sony authorised replacements for my ps 1 and 2. Granted, we are talking about the ps3 here, but like I said, the lack of reliability with sony consoles means I jumped ship, and the console I switched too hasn't had an issue at all.

Ive had the elite getting on for 2-3 years already and it has never skipped a beat.

Thats all I need to know, indeed, thats all my wallet needs to know.

May 4, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #160 of 208
RROD is highly overrated. I've had my launch 360 since umm, well launch I guess, as well as many of my friends. Since then the die has been reduced in size, as well as many other hardware upgrades that have alleviated the cooling issue. Reliability is no longer an issue as of over 8 months ago, AT LEAST. The way Blu-ray players' prices have dropped I don't doubt Sony has a price issue on their hands.

May 8, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #161 of 208
Chalk me up as one of the "few" that has had a PS3 die on them...

IMGP0304.jpg

I love when Sony fans try to act like PS3s are indestructible when we already know many consoles suffer from BD-ROM failure and YLOD, and unlike the 360, if you PS3 messed up after a year you're going to be paying $150 to have it fixed.

Anyway I've owned 2 360s and 2 PS3s, and I have enjoyed my 360 much more over all, especially as a gaming system.

May 8, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #162 of 208
I almost sold my 60GB PS3 which would have been sold near the price I bought them for...because I was not happy with the game library...

But some great games came out and there are some I am really looking forward to as well...Glad I didn't sell it.

May 8, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #163 of 208
SlaughterX: the graphic on your tv is a part of the consoles anti-piracy, which was publicised well on the internet just by the way
wink.gif

It's mid 2009 now and I am still unhappy with the library on all of the consoles.
The 360 offers a large variety of largely similar shooting games which arent to my taste (they feel "dumbed down" for console play).
The wii offers a large variety of awful games and only a few I can enjoy
The PS3 offers movies, LBP and some cross platform games (bad ports).
The ps3 gets the most use, but only because of the mediaplayer features it has.
All the consoles are collecting dust compared to my dreamcast, among other things.
"Oh and while the ps3 may have greater reliability than the previous ps versions (although I have no idea if that is the case) after exchanging 2 ps1's and 3 ps 2's playstation lost me to an xbox elite and I've no plans to return."
As for this, this is pretty confusing. I have a heavily modified psx (chipped, exterior recrafted) and also a stock model which has fallen from heights of over a metre more than once and nothing will break it.

May 8, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #164 of 208
link? to me it looks like my GPU is disconnecting from the motherboard or something since the video will blank out after a minute and freeze with green and red dots across the screen but I can still hear the sound effects in the background.

May 8, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #165 of 208
I have a friend who just bought his 4th 360. The previous one that recently died on him was one of the newer ones that aren't really supposed to fail too. He makes a good effort to keep them ventilated - that wasn't the issue. These things just love frying themselves. My other friend with a 360 had one die on him too (and another one where the drive failed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back