why is it so difficult for me to be....
Jul 23, 2011 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

caracara08

Headphoneus Supremus
content with a setup?

when i go budget, i end up looking around for good deals and end up buying more stuff.

when i go high end, i feel buyers remorse and consider downgrading again...

wheres the happy medium!

since the beginning of july, i went from a HD598 which i liked to a HF2, to what i have coming, a T1 and now i want a LA7000.  

i went from a jh16 to a W4 to a sony EX600 and now think of getting a mid/high level custom.

i went from a beloved WA2 to a lyr, which was good... to a ZD SE coming next week.

im sure others have been through this throughout their years/months/weeks(?) on this site...  wheres your happy place?

im considering a D7000 + WA6SE + mid level custom.  so the middle of what i consider budget and high end.

disclaimer: my low/mid/high end might not be what you consider each. >400 low; >1200 mid; >2000 high.  i refuse to go over 2k on any single component of my setup.  this might be low and mid end for some of you. 

Jul 23, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 17
Keep the Zana Deux around for a bit - it is something special. Mine has been front and center in my rig since January '09. Technically, it's unique and there's nothing else like it. If you want something else unorthodox and excellent, you have to build it yourself.

As for headphones, I wandered through about 20 high-end pairs. Then the HD-800 grabbed me and I've been happy with it for two years. I toss in a little K-1000 and DT48, but the HD-800 is about 95% of my headphone listening and has been for two years.

So relax a little. Try a few more. Buy used so you can turn them around without losing much. When something "clicks," stay with it. After you hear a wide sample of what's out there, it's easy to settle down with a pair or two. I don't see anything on the horizon that will replace the HD-800 or K-1000, so I've stopped considering upgrades and am instead settling down with the music.

Jul 23, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #3 of 17
Thanks Ue. Yea I was hoping id stick with this setup as I've tried a good deal of headphones. By memory, I felt like I liked the t1 slightly more than the hd800 but of course I haven't tried either with the zdse. It was kind of spur of the moment with the zd se. If I knew id be picking one up, I would have held onto the hd800 longer. But the t1 is still a great headphone. I can't wait!

Jul 23, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 17
I've been through that process, in the past with speaker systems, and all through most of my time here at head-fi. With all of the equipment available and their differing presentations of audio, its easy to fall into the need to explore those different aspects of sound reproduction.

Hopefully once you find the sound you want, that will lead to some level of stability. I stopped having feelings buyers remorse long ago, once realizing in audio sometimes a journey is required to reach a goal. 

Jul 23, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 17
^ With the simple system I have now, there is at this time no longer the rationale to *immediately continue* cycling through more components and headphones. I'm happy with the HD600 and its present component chain. My listening sessions have more than doubled through a much wider selection, and I'm paying attention to the music more and the system less. 

I have a couple of amps and DACs that are of interest, but right now I tend to see more negatives than positives in new equipment. OTOH I will with time, move up to the next generation of headphones, and start the process over again.

Congrats on the ZDSE. From all I've read it can provide a stable base from around which to build a system. 

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #7 of 17
yea thanks.  it was timing, i really think that sonett is a wonderful amp. the deal on the zd was just too good (in my opinion) to pass up.  if i can afford not to have to sell it, i think im done with the ZDSE.  later down the road, maybe get a b22 or WA22 to compliment.

Jul 23, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 17
You'll notice that quite a few Zana owners stopped searching for new amps. I (mostly) did, though I picked up a Si2A3 because I wanted a transformer-coupled DHT amp. I also picked up a few other tube projects so I could have some other interesting tubes and topologies in the collection. But that's more about collecting and building stuff. I've settled in with this rig.

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
You'll notice that quite a few Zana owners stopped searching for new amps. I (mostly) did, though I picked up a Si2A3 because I wanted a transformer-coupled DHT amp. I also picked up a few other tube projects so I could have some other interesting tubes and topologies in the collection. But that's more about collecting and building stuff. I've settled in with this rig.

yea, thats why i stretched what budget i had to pick it up.  already with a number of tubes both used and unused and the SAA umbilical cord.  ugh! i cant wait!!!  this is something i hope to have for a VERY long time.

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #11 of 17
Why is it so hard? This guy has a interesting take (and a good book that I can recommend) that he explains here.

Jul 23, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #12 of 17
I've found that once I found a system I like the sound of (and i have a modest set up) then I'm very reluctant to spend a lot to try new gear. I'll  drop by the local meets and the RMAF, but to be honest. I'm pretty happy with what I have. 

I'm also a firm believer that you can't just go changing out components too quickly or you're not giving yourself a chance to really listen to it. I see people at meets swapping out amps sources and headphones one after the other like its some kind of race. If I'm interested in a a new set of headphones.. I'll listen to them on my system, compare to my own headphone of choice, and wont change anything else.

I think although I may not have reached the end of my headphone journey, I'm happy with the pace and direction its going in, and I'm happy to stop a while and listen to the music.

Jul 24, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #13 of 17
i plan to watch that video when i get to.. seems interesting just by the title. thank you!

Craig - youre so right.  i was one of those ppl swapping in and out.  i love trying new things so i did... i sold things i really like, i sold things i didnt really like. but now that i have the experiences, i can go back and settle on something. i think this is it. i cant imagine spending more money. lol

Jul 24, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #14 of 17
I thought I was settled (balanced HD600) until I discovered IEMs completely destroy regular headphones for imaging/soundstage. Now I'm in a temporary hold position with these RE262 (I can't wait to be rid of) until I buy some customs.

Jul 24, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #15 of 17
ive had the jh16 and i have the westone 4 and ive owned the sm3 and many others, TO ME, customs are worth it.  you dont feel the need for anything more. the sound is tremendous but the law of diminishing returns are in effect for some people.  is it a 4x better sounding iem than the westone 4? no, but it is better to my ears. good luck with htat! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back