Why is it funny when people suffer?
Sep 22, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #46 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the cries of agony are the funniest part for the majority of people. On one website, somebody compared them to the baying of a bloodhound and went on and on about how funny this was.

So no, I am not going to lighten up. I am never lightened up. It is frightening and disturbing to me that people are so flippant and nonchalant about this sort of thing. I guess it becomes normal when you engage in it all the time... and honestly, it's an even bigger problem that children's comedy films contain such content in the first place. I guess you have to teach them proper schadenfreude while they're still young... I'm glad I didn't receive that particular bit of education...

good for you, enjoy living that way (not being sarcastic). If I took every trivial matter as seriously as you did it would probably make me unhappy and not be good for my health(mental and physical).

Sep 22, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #47 of 61
Sorry, I'm just a serious person. Always have been, always will be.
smily_headphones1.gif
(Also, my mental and physical health are both superb, thank you.)

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #48 of 61
Not funny at all. I'm so past all that.

People are too desensitized to violence.

Laz

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #51 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps laughter (amusement) is a release from tension?

Bingo.

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #52 of 61
I actually wrote a paper about this in college. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps laughter (amusement) is a release from tension?

I'm pretty sure that's at least part of it.

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #53 of 61
That and its a way of saying "better you than me". Its like farts. The cavemen were laughing at them, and people still do today. Some with suffering. Its to an extent of course, if its too bad its not funny anymore and its quite serious, also much like farts.

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #54 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That and its a way of saying "better you than me". Its like farts. The cavemen were laughing at them, and people still do today. Some with suffering. Its to an extent of course, if its too bad its not funny anymore and its quite serious, also much like farts.

I agree, serious farts are a serious issue.

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #55 of 61
When we laugh or smile, it goes back to our primal nature. We allow others to see our teeth. In the case of others being hurt, we offer our canines for viewing, as a deterent. Don't do that to me.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #57 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m20TSyaEEHc
And nice recovery.

WHAHHAHAHA, I watched that about 50 times, that is so funny. The sound she makes when she pukes is great. And then, 10 sec later: wooohhh!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #58 of 61
I think that most people are missing the point here. The problem remains that comedic perception (like sound, and many other things) is arguably one of the most subjective matters in existence: one person's funny is another person's evil, and there exists no way to prove the validity of one point of view over the other. Thus, the original question and the ensuing debate of this thread are virtually pointless, as with nothing save opinion to back up an argument, everyone can be considered undoubtedly correct with their statements on this subject.

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #59 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that most people are missing the point here. The problem remains that comedic perception (like sound, and many other things) is arguably one of the most subjective matters in existence: one person's funny is another person's evil, and there exists no way to prove the validity of one point of view over the other. Thus, the original question and the ensuing debate of this thread are virtually pointless, as with nothing save opinion to back up an argument, everyone can be considered undoubtedly correct with their statements on this subject.

x2. I thought this was funny, as I do when I hurt myself. Want to fight about it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back