Why is it funny when people suffer?
Sep 21, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #31 of 61
I was horrified when he choked. the grape lady was funny.

People need to lighten up.

People suck, they love violence, funny stuff.

Sep 21, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #32 of 61
Quote:

People need to lighten up.

On the contrary, people need to become much more serious.

People do suck, and they do love violence, but it is never funny.

Edit: After doing some research, I've found out that the grape lady broke five ribs and punctured her lung. She had to be taken to the hospital afterwards. Yeah, really funny isn't it? Those cries of agony are just from getting the wind knocked out of her. Right.

Sometimes people just make me sick to my stomach.

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #33 of 61
I can't even watch something if I know some got badly hurt for real.
It makes me sick to my stomach to see others in real pain, suffering.

I can watch someone walk into a closed patio door and bonk their head or something, but any kind of major injury.. no thanks.

Do they have some kind of rules whereby anyone on that America's "funniest" home videos show isn't shown if they were seriously injured?

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #34 of 61
People, lighten up. Just watch almost any children's comedy film: there's bound to be somebody getting 'hurt' in some way: standing on wobbly steps and having it knocked down from under you, hitting something in the head, etc etc. Some things are just funny if it doesn't happen to you. Chillax.

P.S. Piccolo, it's not the cries of agony that are funny, it's how the accident happens: she's just merrily stomping around in the grapes and suddenly smacks right down from the platform. If it happened in a children's comedy film nobody would care.

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #35 of 61
No, the cries of agony are the funniest part for the majority of people. On one website, somebody compared them to the baying of a bloodhound and went on and on about how funny this was.

So no, I am not going to lighten up. I am never lightened up. It is frightening and disturbing to me that people are so flippant and nonchalant about this sort of thing. I guess it becomes normal when you engage in it all the time... and honestly, it's an even bigger problem that children's comedy films contain such content in the first place. I guess you have to teach them proper schadenfreude while they're still young... I'm glad I didn't receive that particular bit of education...

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #37 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the cries of agony are the funniest part for the majority of people.

I didn't actually watch the link. I was just answering the question: "Why is it funny when people suffer". I don't find it at all funny if someone gets seriously hurt, but innocent slapstick stuff (like we see in sitcom), walking into doors, tripping off kerbs, stuff like that, always makes me giggle
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #38 of 61
Quote:

No, the cries of agony are the funniest part for the majority of people. On one website, somebody compared them to the baying of a bloodhound and went on and on about how funny this was.

So no, I am not going to lighten up. I am never lightened up. It is frightening and disturbing to me that people are so flippant and nonchalant about this sort of thing. I guess it becomes normal when you engage in it all the time... and honestly, it's an even bigger problem that children's comedy films contain such content in the first place. I guess you have to teach them proper schadenfreude while they're still young... I'm glad I didn't receive that particular bit of education...

It's not education, it's just natural instinct to laugh and joke about this stuff. Injury is an absolute part of life, and falls and spills are just funny to us. Lighten up is spot on, this stuff is entertaining.

Sure I have empathy for these people, but at the same time it's amusing. I can feel these people's emotions and suffering, and guess what, it's the way things are!!! **** happens, we walk it off, learn from it, and it's natural to find it comedic in a communally understood thought process.

Pain is what makes us living! It's not taboo or evil.

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #39 of 61
Quote:

It's not education, it's just natural instinct to laugh and joke about this stuff. Injury is an absolute part of life, and falls and spills are just funny to us. Lighten up is spot on, this stuff is entertaining.

Well, I guess I just don't have the same instincts as other people, then. And thank God for that. People getting seriously hurt is not funny to me. It is not amusing. It never has been. It never will be.

Quote:

Pain is what makes us living!

No, the metabolic processes in our body make us living. There are animals with no sense of pain that are still very much alive.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to run to the bathroom, I think I feel my gorge rising.

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #41 of 61
Insects, for one. Their brains just aren't big enough or advanced enough to create such perceptions, or process that kind of information. Sure, they can tell when they've been damaged, but it does not hurt them the same way it does us.

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #42 of 61
Quote:

Insects, for one. Their brains just aren't big enough or advanced enough to create such perceptions, or process that kind of information. Sure, they can tell when they've been damaged, but it does not hurt them the same way it does us.

Yeah, I guess I was considering animal more mammal than the entire population of multi-cellular organisms. This is such a technicality, and my point apparently doesn't extend down to plant life and basic insects =b

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #43 of 61
Quote:

This is more a philosophical statement than a scientific one. There's really no way to conclusively test whether insects perceive pain the same way we do. What does pain feel like to an insect? How the hell would anyone know? How would they react to pain? Could such a response be quantified, and thus tested? Nope, that statement is purely conjectural.

What would you call a human's ability to "tell when they've been damaged"?

Anyhooooo, I'm just saying that once things get into philosophical territory, all bets are off - we'll just be going in circles.

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #44 of 61
But it isn't really. An insect simply does not have the faculties necessary for creating those perceptions. Period. This guy puts it nicely:

Quote:

An insect's nervous system is directly connected to the muscular system, and not to the brain. When an insect squirms, it's because its body does not know what to do to solve the problem, this is also why insect limbs will squirm after they are separated from the insect's body, the nerves are telling the legs, "do something, the body isn't attached anymore." however, the insects meager excuse for a central cortex (i.e. brain in a more sophisticated creature) is never aware of the failure in the body.

It should also be noted that there is a difference between "pain" as a response to stimuli, and the actual quale that we associate with this response. An insect, having an extremely different nervous system from a mammal, will not have the same (if any) qualia that we do.

Besides, when you really think about it, insects probably are not even conscious at all. Insects are more like very well programmed machines. Their brain is programmed to do exactly what it needs to do, and nothing more. It far too simple to be up to the task of generating any kind of qualitative phenomenal experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back