Why is headphone neutrality so rare?
Oct 28, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
... my headphone sound is as good or better overall than speakers, and matches the speaker sound in neutrality - but it does not give the large soundstage and fullness of tones as speakers, while giving greater clarity and inner detail than speakers.

I thought this post was excellent overall, but this part in particular hits the nail on the head.

Oct 28, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
I've always thought so too - that the KSC75 is one of the most neutral sounding heapdhones you can get, until you break the $300 bracket. However, I definitely have to disagree with you about the 'same fidelity' comment - I owned the HF-1, which seems pretty comprable to the SR225, and I can say the Grados are clearly superior, at least hi-fi wise (detail, clarity, etc.) but you're right about them not being as 'listenable' as the Koss.

I agree with just about everything, expect for the KSC75 not being able to be as clear as other high-end headphones. Last night I was really stunned by its clarity and resolution. I haven't heard a headphone doing this while keeping everything as audible as possible, meaning that one frequency doesn't overpower the other one(s). A lot of high-end headphones seem to create a fake 3D-image, but I find that to be hollow, and not neutral at all. I prefer the great stereo-effect of the KSC75, which I find to be more neutral.

The Ety ER4 seems pretty analytical and neutral in terms of creating tones, but I find it to be nowhere near as musical and fun to listen to.

Oct 29, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
LOL... I have not listened to a single down-the-line neutral component in all my years, PERIOD. This is regarless of price and includes headphones, speakers, amps, sources, cables, and even footers. I don't consider headphones any more colored than speakers; and while more speakers 'may' measure more "neutral" in frequency response in an anechoic chamber, frequency response is just one of many things that make up music.

i think you'll agree that most people want a 'neutral' response in most headphones (whatever that is, as you say).

The main point i'm making is that i find sound signature to be a huge influence on my headphone purchases (same with a lot of people). The DT880's i had were absolutely amazing to my ears ...once EQ'ed. Why do i feel the need to EQ a lot of my headphones to how i'd like them to sound (except for the ER4p's and KSC75's...) and i find speakers to be devoid of this problem?

Even speakers i've found to be slightly bright do not affect me at all, i listen to everything i normally would whereas with headphones i find it adversely affects music. People on this forum always ask what is a good headphone for jazz/rock with the appropiate brand name thrown in afterwards. Unfortunatly i find that with my SR225's certain types of recording become less enjoyable whilst other sound great, my main gripe with buying headphones is that sound signature can make me literaly hate a headphone even if certain things sound amazing.

Another poster above says i'm reffering to mid-fi headphone as apposed to high end headphones, most headphone users will tell you that value wise headphones buy a lot more than speakers sound quality wise and i'll agree with that, what i can't understand is that major manufactures like Grado and Sennheiser cannot make what is essentially 2 drivers on the end of a headband to produce a frequency response at least near neutral for a price tag the mainstream would laugh at.

Oct 29, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder
I agree with just about everything, expect for the KSC75 not being able to be as clear as other high-end headphones. Last night I was really stunned by its clarity and resolution.

I agree, but only during simple passages - like when there's a lull in the music and one voice shines through, sometimes they can convince you that they're the only headphone you'll ever need. But try listening to a full orchestra or something with a lot of things going on at once and everything turns mushy.

Oct 29, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #21 of 21
i don't know if i know what neutrality is supposed to sound like...even so, i tend to like a bit of color in my music. i don't mind that my hf-1 accentuates the midrange more so than other more neutral headphones...it's what i like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back