Why is EAC ripping so slow?
Oct 8, 2005 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

gongos

100+ Head-Fier
I just installed a Plextor 716a drive and when I rip cds w/ EAC it's extremely slow. The cd drive I used before was much faster. Any suggestions?

Oct 8, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 20
i have the same proble with my laptop's cd drive, the thing rips at 0.6x max!!!

Oct 8, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 20
i already do

Oct 8, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by gongos
I just installed a Plextor 716a drive and when I rip cds w/ EAC it's extremely slow. The cd drive I used before was much faster. Any suggestions?

I've been told that (some?) Plextor drives by default read slower than they're actually able to. To unlock the limitation you have to press the open/close knob for 2-5 seconds during (after?) closing each time you want to extract audio data.

peacesign.gif

Oct 8, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #10 of 20
I have the same problem
frown.gif
. I used to rip on my Lite-On DVD drive, rips very fast, but lately its been acting really weird. everytime I rip a cd, the last song is always getting an error. I tried ripping on my lite-on CD-RW drive, everything is fine except that its so slooooowwwwwwwww. takes me 30mins. just for one CD
frown.gif

Oct 8, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #14 of 20
It may be helpful to check which EAC settings others use with that drive. The 716A still is relatively new so the automatically chosen ones may not be optimal. (At least I experienced this with my LG GSA-4040B, which is now ripping up to 24x. BTW, I found a recently acquired old Mitsumi FX4830T CD-ROM to be relatively slow - only up to 8x or so - but absolutely superb in terms of error correction.)

Oct 9, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #15 of 20
EAC is slow because it takes care to rip correctly, I have ripped 20 tracks cds (about 1:30 hours of music) in about 10 minutes because they don't have any scratches or dust. It is worth to clean your cd before ripping, I really have seen differences in speed. (Something like going at .6x in some places and clean at about 3x)

If you don't like that, well go to EAC -> Drive options and use the paranoid mode, but isn't recommended, and reduce error recoverinh, but using that you are losing the great features of EAC, that is make a perfect rip, without any single error.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back