Why I'm considering Bose. Many here don't like them. Two sides to an argument.
Nov 21, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #16 of 46
Thought I would post a follow up to my purchase and what led to my decision, maybe it will help another newbie...

Caveat - keep in mind I'm no audiophile and only know as much as I've read here. I only know what sounds good to ME.

I started out wanting to purchase a pair of Bose QC-15's to use at work, I'm in IT and split my time between my desk and a noisy datacenter.  I was thinking that the noise cancelling would help with that environment. The Bose were just about a lock until I started researching and really questioning my needs. I noticed with my musical tastes, bass heavy southern rap, classical, old school R&B, the Bose would distort with volume and heavy bass, same with the Sony NC200d. Not to mention that without a battery I would be S.O.L. with the Bose. I have a wireless gaming headset that uses batteries, and no matter what, I have a hard time keeping up with AAA rechargeable batteries. The Sony's sounded small without batteries, although it was a plus that I could use them without. Anyway here were my requirements.

- Apple remote compatibility
- Build quality 
- No distortion from bass or volume
- Portability (which I eventually fudged on because of price)

Here were the candidates, and reasons I decided against them

- Bose QC-15 (Weak build, mostly plastic, expected a lot more for $300, even though I had a $50 coupon at the Base Exchange, unusable without batteries, distortion with bass) 
- B&W P5 - (Simply not enough volume, I tested them twice in Bjorn's and Bestbuy, I just couldn't pull the trigger, $300 and no big sound. Build quality was awesome. I still may talk myself into getting them at a later date. They're hot!)
- Klipsch Premier Image One (Awesome sound, no distortion. But they were very plastic feeling, and that faux leather turned me off. Why fake it, just use the real stuff or don't do it)
- Beats Studio - (Briefly in the running until I saw my friends 15yr old with them, besides, Beats on display are always broken. Build quality again)
- V-Moda M-80 - (These were late to the game, thanks to the forums! I couldn't test any locally in San Antonio, but everything about them looked solid)

I finally ended up purchasing the SOL Republic Tracks HD. Here's why:

- Sound - To me very good, deep bass and I could pick out individual instruments in my songs too
- Inline Remote
- Replaceable cord (a little thin, I liked the cord on the v-moda)
- Durable - you can bend these up like the v-moda band
- Price! $129 at the Apple store. None of my candidates sounded this good, with the exception of the Klipsch, at this price

The only drawback is storage. I don't like the crappy neoprene bag. would've been nice to have something more compact and solid to throw in my messenger bag.

Anyhow, I'm going to stick around here more and learn even more about this stuff, very interesting and helpful community here.

Thanks,
Rod

Nov 22, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #18 of 46
I see Bose advertised in magazines. No other headphone vendor advertises like this, AFAIK.

So, it seems as if Bose is out to snag the first-time headphone buyer who has not yet investigated the options.

Nov 22, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #19 of 46
I will also recommend the GR07 for in ear use. Comfortable, decent isolation, excellent sound. I don't recommend the Bose in ear for you simply because they offer ZERO isolation aside from cranking the volume. I own them and use mine for situations that require their unique lack of isolation.

If you want to save some money you could also try out the GR06 for $50 and get something isolating like the GR07 and a more mid-centric bassier sound which would be closer to the Bose IE2.

For closed over ear headphones I suspect for the sound of the Bose you could consider about 10 different models that will have at least as good a sound quality all for considerably less money. Off the top of my head I suggest looking at the V-Moda LP2 which look snazzy, are customizable for looks and again will have a bassier more consumer oriented sound like the Bose.

Nov 22, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #20 of 46
Also, just how much isolation do you think you'll need? I use my GR07s in a school setting, and though the isolation is pretty decent, I know that I sometimes find myself wishing for a tad bit more. Not bashing the GR07s here, but if you need maximum isolation, you might want to look into some balanced armature models like those Westones.

Nov 22, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #21 of 46

Quote:
Also, just how much isolation do you think you'll need? I use my GR07s in a school setting, and though the isolation is pretty decent, I know that I sometimes find myself wishing for a tad bit more. Not bashing the GR07s here, but if you need maximum isolation, you might want to look into some balanced armature models like those Westones.

Westones are decent at isolation, but the HF5. 

Only had a brief listen (1 hour ish) but srsly brah, it isolates so well, you just have to turn the music up a little to drown everything out.

Downside is you have to push them in real far to get a good seal.

Westones are a lot more comfortable..

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #22 of 46
A couple of things:

1. The reason some headphones distorted and were too quiet is because the amp was clipping. Add more power and this won't happen.

2. You've barely scratched the surface of headphones. You're new to this and have only heard some consumer models. But if you think the Bose has good bass and is clear, well, I could drop some headphones on your head and open your eyes. You'd hear things in your music you never knew were there. Open mouth, guaranteed.

If you have a meet near you, go. They're really fun and you'll get an idea of everything else out there.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #23 of 46
I'm surprised the OP decided to ignore the avalanche of information available on Head-fi pointing toward the lack of value in consumer oriented models. Why even post here?

Quote:
A couple of things:
1. The reason some headphones distorted and were too quiet is because the amp was clipping. Add more power and this won't happen.
2. You've barely scratched the surface of headphones. You're new to this and have only heard some consumer models. But if you think the Bose has good bass and is clear, well, I could drop some headphones on your head and open your eyes. You'd hear things in your music you never knew were there. Open mouth, guaranteed.
If you have a meet near you, go. They're really fun and you'll get an idea of everything else out there.

Nov 23, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #24 of 46

Quote:
I'm surprised the OP decided to ignore the avalanche of information available on Head-fi pointing toward the lack of value in consumer oriented models. Why even post here?

I posted here simply because of that reason- an avalanche of information; it was hard to handle. 250 IEM models are hard to sort though, especially when you can't shave off the too-pricey ones (which are most of them for me unfortunately- college budgeted!). Like I said, I was considering Bose because they were available to try both for sound and comfort with my own music. Like another person said before, they are good at snagging first-time "quality-buyers". Respectfully, I didn't choose to ignore the info on here. The info is why I'm here! I definitely am new to this and I'm trying to soak it all up but there's a relatively steep learning curve especially if you don't have the money to experimentally buy pairs to test them yourself.

I would love to go to a meet! I am close enough to Pittsburgh. Do they have a name something I'd recognize? Like Audio Convention or something like that? I would definitely spend a day there and listen/learn as much as I could!!

To reply to those who suggested the Senns, Westones, VSonics- I can't afford those :frowning2:  I'd love to have them but my budget was maxed plus some for those Bose IEMs. However, I think I somehow stumbled over a pair that seem to get great reviews for both quality and comfort "for the money". They are the NuForce Ne-700M "audiophile grade" series... After searching simply for star ratings within my budget (and coming back here for the more professional reviews lazuline :) ), they seem like they might be a strong contender. Anyone have experience with them? They're about half price of the Bose and from the reviews seem like they're durable quality build, comfortable and have a good soundstage across the frequencies. And stylish enough. A number of reviewers compared them to VSonics, Brainwavz, etc. At about $75 they seem like they might be the choice. The only thing people seem to say is that the bass presence might be sliiightly too strong. But I think I could live with that, I don't listen to a lot of bass heavy stuff, and when I do, I want the bass.

But like I said- anyone have experience with them? They seem a little obscure- easy to find with a search, but not widely talked about on their own.

Everyone, thank you SO MUCH for the advice! I'm learning so much!

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #26 of 46
Hey Awinn17
 Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy fully. I have a strange feeling we'll be seeing you around here more
redface.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #27 of 46
If you have not purchased that 2nd IEM yet, I suggest trying the VSonic GR06 which is $50. It will give you better comfort I think and will have more bass the the NE7M.

BTW I do own the Bose IE2 and use them daily. I just recognize their sonic limitations and make sure others know they are not isolating as well. For situations requiring a lack of isolation (bike riding for example) they are great.

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #28 of 46
I haven't bought any yet! I'm still narrowing it down. I'm asking for these for Christmas (unless they offer to get them sooner). So I am still open to opinions and still looking. These are simply the top of the list unless something looks better. I'll look into the Monsters and VSonics

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #30 of 46
I am looking into all of these suggestions currently. I looked into the Monster Turbine Refurbs: they seem very hit and miss on refurb quality- many stories of them breaking again. Looked into the GR06 set and haven't decided yet. Looking into the Silver Bullets now. I really like that style. It's understated but classy. All metal makes it look serious about quality. They're similar looking to the NE-700Ms that I was talking about.

Anyone have experience with the Klipsch S4? Best Buy guy suggested them to be last night. I don't trust him to be an audiophile, but he said he listens to a wide range of genres (like I do) and that they have never let him down yet, he was happy with the purchase. He also agreed that the Beats sounded awful. So, any opinions?

*This is for a different thread for sure, but I put my phone in the "Beat Box by Monster" Or whatever it is- the standalone charger/player. I was pleasantly surprised! I liked it over the Bose equivalent (their bigger sound dock jig) a LOT! On sale for $200. The bass was much less influential over the rest of the range, had noticeably clearer vocals and I thought better mids. It wasn't the best thing I've ever heard, but I proved to myself that Bose could indeed be beaten.

(Do I sound like I know a little more what I'm talking about now?) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back