Why I'm considering Bose. Many here don't like them. Two sides to an argument.
Nov 18, 2011 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

awinn17

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. I'm in college, I listen to an extremely wide variety of music- hip hop, country, jam like Dave Matthews, opera, instrumental (requiem for a dream is my current favorite song through quality speakers) some rock, some reggae some dubstep etc etc.

I need a quality set that can play this variety with good bass, clear notes, you know. I spent about 45 minutes in the Bose store the other day switching between their OE2i and MIE2i. I like the isolating features on the first, I like the portability on the second. For in ears I have been very hit and miss, they tend to fall out or I just can't get them in with the rubber piece flexing too much. Honestly, the marshmallows and standard set that came with my iPhone have been the best so far. I like the Bose in ears because of their unique retaining device and they still have quality sound. But you can hear everything around you. I could live with that I think as long as I could turn up the music to the point I can concentrate again.

I'd use these around campus the most. At a table studying, in a computer lab doing CAD work, stuff like that. For that reason isolating would be good.

MY REAL QUESTION, however, is this: Since a lot of people around here don't like Bose because they say they are over priced- what would you recommend instead? They are my absolute upper limit price wise, and I won't settle for less quality this time. I know Bose is the pop star of the music world, but you can't argue that they make a sound (pun intended) quality product. And you can go to the store and TRY them! I don't want to order anything I can't try first both for sound quality and especially fit comfort.

So for Bose quality and fit comfort (but possibly isolating) what do you suggest? Beats are probably out- if Bose products are the pop stars of the music world, Beats are the sleazy whores. I know that much. Bass overload does not equal quality.

Thanks guys! I'm a budding audiophile, but I'm definitely on a budget. This might turn out to be a Christmas item for me.

Nov 18, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 46
Thanks for the feedback (pun?).

Anything you recommend for in-ear? I think those would pretty much be required for the college/transportable scene. Do you have recommendations for those?

I feel guilty for starting a new thread, because I know other people ask very similar questions. I'm going to keep searching the forums as well. 

Thanks again :)

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 46
To my ears the Bose have an upper midbass bump that has initial appeal but ultimately is annoying.  Frequency extremes not as good as Shure, Etymotic, V-Moda, etc at same price.  Bose are like chinese food with MSG:  Bang for unrefined palate.  Spend some time eating all variety of asian food and you discover that the MSG simply covers up for cheapness.

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 46
I didn't like the fit or sound of any in ears until I tried the JH13, so I'm probably not the one to ask.  The ones in your avatar (Westone 3's) are among the better ones I've tried.  I've seen them go for about $260 new before.

Keep in mind that IEM's depreciate more in value (for resale market) than other headphones because most people don't want to stick something in their ears that's been in someone else's (even though you change the foam tips.)

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #8 of 46
Nov 18, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 46
i hate Bose, no, i don't hate them cause everyone here hates them, i hate them cause i regret buying them.

I had the original Bose IE which i bought for 130 bucks, BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE. upgraded to 15 bucks V Moda Vibes that i got from an authorised dealer on ebay. upgraded again to Hippo VBs, now i have the Vsonic GR07s and i can't be happier.

Seriously, Bose headphones are absolutely rubbish, i loved my Bose IEs until i got the V Modas, i only got the V Modas cause it cheap and it would have made a good 'back-up' iem. But the Vibes turned out to be way better than the crappy Bose.

The only reason you think they are good is because you haven't heard better, one of my friends have the IE2s, he got the Klipsch S4 for 40 bucks just because he is rich and it turned out to be better than his crappy Bose.

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #10 of 46
Nov 18, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #11 of 46
Hello guys,

I'm in a similar position, considering Bose QC-15's

I've tested the B&W P5's and they didn't sound very good to me and the volume wouldn't go very high, however I did like the build quality over the Bose. I've been searching hard for a headphones with reasonable quality that are portable and has ipod/iphone controls. Before listening to the B&W P5's I had narrowed my search to them and the QC-15's. 

I've been trying to gather information on the new SOL Republic Tracks HD, but it is very sparse, anyone have any info? Noise cancellation is not a big concern as having the inline remote. I've looked over the excellent list Radio_Head linked to and still didn't see anything that caught my eye. I also listened to the Sony NC200D's today and thought they sounded nice with the NC on, but they began to distort horribly when the volume was cranked up.

Anything else out there with minimum plastic, ipod remote, portable headphone?

vr,
Rod

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 46

Quote:
What's your budget?  You could get GR07's.   http://www.head-fi.org/products/vsonic-gr07

Generally speaking, if a pair of IEM's has a unique retaining mechanism, it's because no one likes it.

Seconded.  GR07s are an outstanding well-rounded headphone.  Perfect for the wide range of genres the OP listens to on a regular basis.

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #13 of 46
If you're looking for good portable headphones, you should check out ljokerl's rwo review threads on IEMs and Portables, which basically give you a really good source for standardized reviews of literally hundreds of models, complete with a unified ranking system. They're really great if you're just getting into it. You can find them here and here, respectively. 

As for Bose, I found that at least their noise-cancelling models tend to be quite sibilant, probably because of the active noise cancelling circuit overcompensating for outside noise. The in-ears I've heard and thought they were ok, but not great by any means, and you can get better, isolating IEMs for cheaper. Haven't heard the OE2s, but given the lukewarm reaction on this site, I'd say they're much the same.

rpommier: If you don't need the noise cancelling feature (Which the Bose cans are really good for) the QC15's will be unnecessarily expensive and won't sound all that good. If you want an pair with inline remote features, also take a look at those 2 threads, because it also indicates what models have remote and mic features.

Nov 18, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #14 of 46
Nov 18, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #15 of 46

Quote:

Seconded.  GR07s are an outstanding well-rounded headphone.  Perfect for the wide range of genres the OP listens to on a regular basis.

3rd!!! Had the W3's and loved em. But the Gr07 are something very special (after burn in)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back