WHY I'LL NEVER BUY ANOTHER CIEM AGAIN
Oct 5, 2014 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

audiofrk

500+ Head-Fier
Well at least I’ll never buy another CIEM from ultimate ears.  The customer service from UE is worst I had from any company (or at the very least top 3 worst).  Writing this I realized it was so bad it turned my initial enthusiasm for getting my first customs to complete anger and indifference about the whole thing.   

I don't know where to start with this, for all those that have never gotten customs or those that have but haven't worked with UE I want to post this as an advisory post ***note this is my experience with this company as always YMMV.

At the latest LA meet I auditioned a lot of iems.  I mean a LOT, pretty much all the JH, noble line, the ie800, and the tranlucent ref. 1 + uber cable. Though UE wasn't at the meet by some stroke of luck the AK guys had a UERM and UE 11 that they let me a/b against the others.  Out of all of IEMs I like the sound of the UERM best (it barely edged out the noble 6 to my mind).  However, when it came to buying them I couldn't decided whether or not to get them.  Getting fitted and sending measurements is costly and time consuming but I liked the sound and having weird ears (I always had a problem with the seal, which is why I decided to get the UERM over the noble 6) I thought it would be a good investment. What cinched the decision was when a fellow member told me that UE was located in Irvine, which was awesome since I was working in Santa Ana I thought I could go in personally (not the funnest car ride but still doable) and the whole thing would be rather pain free.  Boy was I wrong.

After making the initial call they told me I could go in and audition their line-up.  So two day latter during my lunch time, I headed to the UE office and found…… no one.  I waited in the reception area for 5 minutes then began to looking around walk up the cubicles to see if anyone I could talk to was there and about 15 minutes later I finally saw someone. At the time I didn't pay too much attentions to this as it was noon and I know people got to eat, looking back it should have tipped me to how this whole experience was gonna go.  I mean they couldn't arrange peoples schedule so if someone walked in the office they could talk to a employee? I finally was shown the line up an when I asked them if they had anything kind of source the guy said he only had an iPhone with pandora.  Okay I was planning to use my phone for a while with the IEM too, but still it's like going to a speaker shop and they tell you to bring your own amp an CD player to test out the gear.  While cool that they let you test the line up with your own hardware, it would have been nice to test out the line on some reference hardware and see what these IEMs could really do. Listen to the 10, 11, RM, and the 7 (out of an iPhone 4s and zune hd I brought, just in case I need a point of reference from my own gear) I was still jonesing for the UERMs. The guy told me that they have an in house audiologist that comes in every Tuesdays to do measurements.  I thought, "great there shouldn't be any fit issues if I get it done with the in house expert" so I made an appointment for 12:30pm (once again during my lunch time) as I figured that would be a good time in case I ran into traffic I wouldn’t keep the audiologist waiting.

While I was making my appointment the guy (Brian I believe) informed me that the schedule of the audiologist had changed the week of my appointment I told him it was fine and booked it for the alternate date.  However by this time I was running late and had to get back to work so I ran off, forgetting to make in event in my calendar. As the next week began I grew anxious as I was getting closer to the day of my appointment and I had forgotten to write down the date. I thought that by the end of Monday on the week of my appointment, I would have an email to confirm my appointment but nope the whole day went by and I didn't get anything.  That Tuesday I grew fearful that I would miss my appointment and have to go longer without my new IEMs.   So as soon as I could I called Brian to verify. No answer.  I called twice more, still nothing.  Then I tried the number listed on the website "number not in service".  Had it changed from before? (I checked my call log) Yep, the number posted on the website had changed that was weird.  I tried the old one that was on my phone log and was able to get thru to the touch tone menu when the call dropped out. By then my Break was over. Later that morning I sunk out for a minute an tried the old number again this time it went thru and who answered?  Brian (apparently no one answers the phone at UE before 11am), we worked out that the appointment was for Wednesday not Tuesday (the change in day he told me of earlier).  Overall it took longer than I would have liked but I got it sorted out so I put it out of mind.

Next day ducked out to lunch 5 minutes early to try to beat traffic. I was making such great time that I thought I would get there early so instead of eating anything (and since Brian told me that the audiologist always gets there at noon) I figured I would get it done early and grab a bite on the way back to work.  The audiologist got there at 12:45pm and did another guys impression first (since I decided to go to the bathroom while I waited for her to get there) and it took her 4 tries to get my left ear done (important later).  When she finally finished I realized I had 5 minutes to cross 2 cities to get back to work, still the sales rep waited until this time to ask me to fill out the forms. ( despite me telling him that I had to be back to work at 1pm both when I made the appointment and when I arrived at the appointment) I quickly gave him my email to send me a form to fill out (I still had to wait for him to find a pen for me to write down my number) and ended up  getting to work 15 minutes late without having ate anything, but at least it was over or so I though.

He sent me the form real fast but, what I didn't know was that the edits made on the form couldn't be saved and the only way to email it was to register for an adobe cloud account.  So I ended having to call him to just do the order over the phone. It took three days to get in contact with the guy since the general sales number wouldn't work again (I was using an iPhone on tmobile if anyone thinks that was the problem and I made a call to another number to be sure that wasn’t it), but finally I Got the order finish.  Ok it's over now I can just use my UERMs and forget the whole thing.

It took three weeks to get them (not complaining just giving a time frame I know customs take a while).  I plug them into my geek 450 and started listening to them. They sounded great! But they felt weird in my ears and after 30 minutes I had an unbearable pain in my left eardrum. After about a week of trying to insert them right and still getting ear pain I decided it was time to send them back.  That weekend I went to look for any form to fill out in the website I couldn't find one so I had to email there support team an waited till Monday to hear back from them.  That Monday (it was my day off) I started to fill out the form they sent me but was kind of amazed by how general it was. It was just box to fill out with the only directions beign to be as detailed as possible.  The support staff email said that the process would take around 7 days and I figured it wouldn't hurt to talk to someone in person and see which complaints were just growing pains and which were cause for repair.  So I decided to call them and when I got a hold of them I told them I was in Orange County they said it would be better if could come in person to talk so they could get a better handle on the problem.  So despite previous problems with the staff I decided it would be best to go to the office since it would most likely cut down on the time took repair (at least the mailing out time). They told me at 12:20pm that I could go anytime during the day except from 12:15- 1:45pm as that was their lunch time. So after doing some errands 2:30pm I head out and got there at 3:00pm I walk in and told the employee that greeted me that I was there in regards to repairs, he then went to his cubicle and made a call after which he informed me that no one from the support team in and tells me that they’re at lunch. I waited for a half an hour more but no one ever came. He says that I could fill out a form and they would get back to me.  To my surprise it was the same form as the one online. So in the end I moved around some errands that I had to do that day to go in and all I got was chance I fill out my form by hand.

To me this experience was horrible it's been almost 2 months since I tried to get my UERMs and all i got to show for it is an hour of listening, an earache, and one of the worst customer experiences I ever had. Am I overreacting? Is it too much to ask for the audiologist they recommend to keep her appointment (just so you know when making the appointment I told her that I had a short lunch time and she assured me that it wouldn't be a problem "I’ll be in and out in no time") or staff that is present in the building when they tell you to come in to see them? Or even be for employees to answer their work phone during their work hours? To me that just not service you should get when you’re buying a $1100 USD nonrefundable product.   Last week I got a haircut and I got there early the guy started right away, he did a good job, and gave me some product and styling tips to keep my hair the way I want it and it cost me $20 bucks.  Doing business with this company has been extremely frustrating, if I could do it again i wouldn't.  This was just too much for me.  My UERMs are getting fixed know and I don’t have high hopes for them to be done right.  I don't know if in the future if I'll ever get a custom again, but I can say for certain that this is the last of my business UE will ever get be it customs, universals, or speakers.  **** Logitech and **** Ultimate Ears.  The UERMs sound good but not so much that they render every other iem worthless (I've only listen to a few totl iems). If I could I would just return these but you can't return customs and they are too new to sell second hand without taking a huge loss so I'm stuck with them.  Are all dealings with CIEMs like this?  If so I don’t think CIEMs are for me.  These came highly regarded by some members that I trust and they sound good but dealing with UE was horrible.  I wish this company nothing but the worst.

Oct 5, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 34
Well, that's quite the bad experience - you should have gone for that Noble 6 
rolleyes.gif
 and they have top-notch customer service. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 34
  Well, that's quite the bad experience - you should have gone for that Noble 6 
rolleyes.gif
 and they have top-notch customer service. 

Ok so it's not just in my head that the service was horrible? I know we are in a obscure fringe hobby but still we shouldn't have to jump thru hoops to get our products right?

Oct 5, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 34

yeah the guy from noble I met at the LA meet was pretty chill. To be honest so was the guy from JH, but I liked the UERM slightly better <sight> live and learn I guess.

[size=12.8000001907349px]Wasn't Brannan from Noble at the LA meet, he's great and you can reach him all the time with stupid questions and get a prompt answer.[/size]

Ok so it's not just in my head that the service was horrible? I know we are in a obscure fringe hobby but still we shouldn't have to jump thru hoops to get our products right?

Well, you make it sound that way. One shouldn't make so much trips and call so many times to get the job done. Of course, issues with the fit can happen no matter who is the audiologist or the company making the ciem.
Or maybe you just had a lot of bad luck. First, because you visited them during their lunch break and no one was there and second, coz the audiologist had other business and you had to reschedule your appointment. Then maybe she got stuck in traffic and got late, you visited the bathroom at the wrong time, maybe your left ear's impression was trickier to do but she decided that the 4th impression is passable and because you were so much in a hurry she decided not to make another one. So that bad experience could be just the result of a series of unfortunate events 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 5, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 34
  [size=12.8000001907349px]Wasn't Brannan from Noble at the LA meet, he's great and you can reach him all the time with stupid questions and get a prompt answer.[/size]

Well, you make it sound that way. One shouldn't make so much trips and call so many times to get the job done. Of course, issues with the fit can happen no matter who is the audiologist or the company making the ciem.
Or maybe you just had a lot of bad luck. First, because you visited them during their lunch break and no one was there and second, coz the audiologist had other business and you had to reschedule your appointment. Then maybe she got stuck in traffic and got late, you visited the bathroom at the wrong time, maybe your left ear's impression was trickier to do but she decided that the 4th impression is passable and because you were so much in a hurry she decided not to make another one. So that bad experience could be just the result of a series of unfortunate events 
rolleyes.gif

yeah Brannnan that was his name.  I am bad with names, he was cool.  Back then he even told be about the prestige series and the 6 custom he just told me to keep it on the down low so I did. Should have waited

No I think they need to work on their service.  Some other stuff happend but i don't want to seem petty I think my argument is strong enough. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #10 of 34

yeah Brannnan that was his name.  I am bad with names, he was cool.  Back then he even told be about the prestige series and the 6 custom he just told me to keep it on the down low so I did. Should have waited

No I think they need to work on their service.  Some other stuff happend but i don't want to seem petty I think my argument is strong enough. 

You knew about the custom N6s, so it'a partially your fault - just kidding 
biggrin.gif
 but Brannan probably could have taken your impressions himself. And he doesn't need to work on his service only on his triceps as it's lacking a bit compared to his biceps.

Oct 5, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #11 of 34
  You knew about the custom N6s, so it'a partially your fault - just kidding 
biggrin.gif
 but Brannan probably could have taken your impressions himself. And he doesn't need to work on his service only on his triceps as it's lacking a bit compared to his biceps.

etysmile.gif
he only told me of there existence but said he didn't have an eta, that was at the begining of august and I didn't want to wait though now its october and I'm still not enjoying my UERMs so jokes on me.

Oct 5, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #12 of 34

etysmile.gif
he only told me of there existence but said he didn't have an eta, that was at the begining of august and I didn't want to wait though now its october and I'm still not enjoying my UERMs so jokes on me.

Well, if I were you I would have waited a few more months maybe even to Black Friday coz Noble might have their BF sale with 20% off everything again and with the lower than expected N6C price you could have scored a custom N6 for 900 bucks with some patience.
Anyway, hopefully the issues with your UERM fit will be resolved promptly and you'll be able to enjoy it soon and put this bad experience behind you.

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #14 of 34
this is the big fear in ciems, fit, fit and fit.
I hope this works out for you. It's almost unimaginable that once a problem rears it's ugly head that someone at UE doesn't jump in and fix it.
Since logitech bought the company (appears to me) some key people left it's been a downhill ride.

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #15 of 34
  Brannans taking my impressions....

good luck last time I saw him he was taking Jude's impressions for the prestige and I don't think Judes had any complaints

this is the big fear in ciems, fit, fit and fit.
I hope this works out for you. It's almost unimaginable that once a problem rears it's ugly head that someone at UE doesn't jump in and fix it.
Since logitech bought the company (appears to me) some key people left it's been a downhill ride.

I fear this too that's why I posted so other members could weight there options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back