Why I think Digikey rocks
Mar 10, 2008 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Clutz

Tells us when we're offset.
I needed a bunch of 100KOhm 1W resistors for a project, and I forgot to add them to either my order with Mouser or Digikey. So I quickly emailed Mouser (I don't know why, since I've done this successfully before with Digikey, never tried it before with Mouser) and asked if they could add a couple of specific parts.

They emailed me back and said that no they couldn't because the item has already been billed to my CC.

So I emailed digikey this morning (I made my order with them on Friday afternoon, as opposed to Sunday morning with Mouser) and hoped they hadn't sent out the box yet with the parts.

Digikey called me back because the part I was requesting was now out of stock because someone ahead of me in line bought all the remaining stock!
redface.gif
So they wanted to make sure that they could reach me in time before the item was due to be shipped. So I changed the part number I wanted and I'll still have that beautiful little digikey box in my hand by tomorrow.

This is why Digikey ROCKS (cause they care about customer service) and Mouser bites!

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 24
I had one order with Mouser where I forgot to add an item. I emailed them asking if they could add it to my order and they did. I'm guessing that as long as your order hasn't been processed, they will still make changes to it.

Mar 10, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 24
Indeed, I fully agree with what you say error401. $8 next day shipping is a freaking bargain. I get it shipped to work and I have it usually by 9:30AM the day after I order it.

Mar 10, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just think they rock because their shipping to Canada is a) reasonable b) doesn't involve any ridiculous brokerage c) fast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, I fully agree with what you say error401. $8 next day shipping is a freaking bargain.

Ditto.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 24
It's just too bad they don't have in-line 3.5mm jacks (which I need right now)
frown.gif
Otherwise they're always my #1 choice.

Mar 11, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 24
Digi-key has great service. They just need to expand their offerings to include more discrete BJTs, JFETs, CRDs and passives; lower their prices some and get rid of the $20 minimum order charge!
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #9 of 24
I agree, I would like it if they had a wider variety of parts - but for us Canucks, it really cannot be beat. When I move to Minneapolis though I may start buying from Mouser, because it took my years to find the few electronics parts suppliers in Vancouver that I use when digikey doesn't have something.

Mar 11, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Digi-key has great service. They just need to expand their offerings to include more discrete BJTs, JFETs, CRDs and passives; lower their prices some and get rid of the $20 minimum order charge!
wink.gif

I agree...though the $20 min order charge simply gets me to buy more stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree...though the $20 min order charge simply gets me to buy more stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

sounds like it's having the desired effect, from DigiKey's perspective
wink.gif

however, i will say that Mouser was quite happy to add parts to my most recent order, part of which was delayed because a part was out of stock. the order was charged to my card and most of it shipped, but while i waited, i realized that i'd been hasty when placing the order, and decided i'd like to add a whole bunch of parts to the portion that hadn't yet shipped. all i ended up having to do was to e-mail the P/Ns and quantities to a customer service rep, who took care of adding them on to my existing order and charged the same credit card i'd used for the first part of the order. of course, i later decided that i wanted to add even MORE parts, but by that point, my order had already been processed and packaged, so no dice.

my only complaints about Mouser are shipping time, which is about a week (which i guess is understandable, since they're in TX and i'm in CA) and tax (don't get why i have to be charged if my stuff is shipping from TX... if you have B&M in CA, ship my stuff from there, damnit!).

Mar 11, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #13 of 24
Oh wow Nebby, you're all the way in Aomori? Are there any online stores like Digi-Key? I know there are a bunch that carry audio connectors and cable/wire, but I haven't heard of electronic parts.

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #14 of 24
I'm actually stationed here, so I have an APO address. That means I can still get stuff via USPS, but it takes a little longer than if I wasn't. Basically the packages get routed to California, then it's handed over to military postal folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back