Why I love and Hate my Grados
Apr 20, 2007 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

terance

1000+ Head-Fier
I've owned Grados, and absolutely LOVE them. My only problem is their comfort. I've had SR60s, 225s and I now own a pair of SR325is that I am in love with. My only problem is their comfort. . .I have more than 50 hours of headtime with my current SR325i's and the same pair of bowl pads and I just cannot find my sweet spot.

At times they feel fine, and I barely notice that they are there, and other times my ears are literally red and throbbing. So. . I am debating getting rid of them.

I feel bad because I love the way they sound so much (running them straight from my Ipod, Millet Hybrid on the way) and I have not had them very long.

I just thought I would tell this to people. .I've read up on Grados alot, but maybe there is something that I've missed and perhaps a way to make them comfortable 100% of the time. . .

Thanks head-fi,
mk

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #3 of 11
There are many things you can do to help with comfort:

1) Headband stretch, as the instructions indicate on the paperwork that came with the Grados. I find this to be one of the most effective things one can do to improve Grado comfort. Stretch the headband out enough so that the bowls rest lightly on your ears.

2) Accelerated pad break in. You can wash them in a mild dish soap and then dry them thoroughly.

3) Pad swaps. There are many pads available for the Grados. I find Flat pads to be the most comfortable.

4) Headphile C-Pads. This is probably the most comfortable solution available, but the sound signature will change a bit. You may or may not like the sound change with C-Pads.

With a properly adjusted (stretched) headband, and broken in flat or bowl pads, I can wear my RS-1s or MS-2is for 6 to 7 hours straight before my ears need a 5 minute break. The only acception is the PS-1s. They are very heavy, and even with a properly adjusted headband, I can only get 2 or 3 hours before my ears get a bit tender and need a break - this is due to the PS-1s weight. They are very heavy for a pair of Grados.

Definately do not give up on Grado. There is no other phone out there that can do what a Grado can do.

Good luck.

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 11
I found that bending the head band tighter just above the rods made them fit more flush to my ears making them more comfortable.

I want to try the pad washing trick.

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 11
I switched over to the HD414 pads on my SR-125's and find them extremely comfortable that way.

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 11
Hmmm, love 'em for their sonics, but they weigh on you; Trade up to the RS-2s , they're feather light / comfortable. Nothing will give you their clarity with IMPACT even without greater amplification than you now have and lower your sights on the expenditure for their outboard amplification. GoVibe(?)

/ Yea, and perhaps flats as has been said if you stick with the 325i s /

Good luck~

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #8 of 11
change the pads, I hated the fit of bowls with a passion. They made my ears really sore in a short time period, flats didn't make it the most comfortable headphone I've tried but it alleviates the pain. I also prefer the sound of flats but thats me. If you have the money then yea follow imilhan's advice and get the C-pads, then you have the best of both worlds, because even with the flats grado ranks last for me in comfort. I would rank comfort Beyer, AKG, Sennheiser all better in that order. Of course soundwise I have not found anything that beats the Alessandro MS-Pros so I do agree grados are special (close second were the beyer dt880s for me), AKG K340+darkvoice 336 on the way so we'll see if that statement holds up.

Apr 20, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #9 of 11
new grado owners usually have this comfortable problem.
the best way is try as many pad as you can to find which one is most comfortable
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, i am an idiot

it was my glasses, the rear part of the driver (rear in relation to my head) was being presed into my ear because of my glasses.

yeah, much more comfortable. . and to think i was about to give up on Grados, psh!

I think he found his problem.
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back