Why I Hate 3-D (and You Should Too)
May 11, 2010 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

monsieurguzel

1000+ Head-Fier
Here is a great article from Newsweek writer, Roger Ebert.  I completely agree with him and am getting sick and tired of all this 3-D crap going on in the theaters and slowly entering our homes.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/237110/output/print

May 11, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 30
Here today, gone tomorrow if they can't design a system that doesn't require special glasses.

May 11, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 30
I wouldn't mind playing a game like Borderlands or Crackdown in 3D. Being able to judge relative distances would be neat. I don't need things coming out of the screen, maybe my character could be a couple inches out from the screen.. The new 3D Nintendo DS should be interesting: no glasses needed.

e: It might be helpful to think of the "new" 3D as early stereo recordings, like the Beatles where they took a mono recording and ganked the tracks hard left and right. It was a gimmick, but eventually recording engineers got the hang of making very good stereo recordings. Given time and with directors like Scorsese and Herzog coming out with 3D movies they may teach a new generation of film makers how to finally do it right.

May 11, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 30
hehe, I fully agree w/ the OP...they tried to sell us our CD's in SACD, and now they wanna sell us the same movies in 3D, hahah.

just like the article says, 2D movies are not quite "2D"
rolleyes.gif

and those red/green stuff force you to wear those dorky plastic glasses...that completely kill the picture sharpness, pathetic! just like those uber-wide-gamut displays, when movies are still mastered on SMPTE-C CRT's, d'oh
biggrin.gif

I am well aware that there are 3D technologies that don't require glasses...so time will tell!  I also don't agree that the hardpan beatles stuff were beginner's errors, I really like hardpan.

we'd need 48fps more than 4K or 3D: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=0a6ba3d3f6cc9ea757a4c6f6a6d11718&t=1018194

May 11, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #6 of 30
I think the new 3d wave it´s great. I have been gaming a lot in 3D and yes it does work.And that was 10 years ago! I think 3D is more suitable for gaming since that you often do by yourself so you can immerse yourself fully in what you watch. Nobody cares if I sit in my room listening to my butt ugly DX 1000 wearing funky glasses even though I would probably not do it publicly. 

I am quite happy that I don´t have to buy mono recordings anymore. And the ability to get surround sound without compression with bluray. 

I do agree that this 25fps standard need to die though. It should have been done since long.

May 11, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 30

Quote:
hehe, I fully agree w/ the OP...they tried to sell us our CD's in SACD, and now they wanna sell us the same movies in 3D, hahah.

just like the article says, 2D movies are not quite "2D"
rolleyes.gif

and those red/green stuff force you to wear those dorky plastic glasses...that completely kill the picture sharpness, pathetic! just like those uber-wide-gamut displays, when movies are still mastered on SMPTE-C CRT's, d'oh
biggrin.gif

I am well aware that there are 3D technologies that don't require glasses...so time will tell!  I also don't agree that the hardpan beatles stuff were beginner's errors, I really like hardpan.

we'd need 48fps more than 4K or 3D: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=0a6ba3d3f6cc9ea757a4c6f6a6d11718&t=1018194

Clearly you have never seen one of the new 3D movies.

May 11, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:
Clearly you have never seen one of the new 3D movies.

That's right! I meant as home entertainment essentially...as I don't think that the hollywood material is worth $15 a pop, and my perfectly calibrated DLP videoprojector does a stellar job in 48Hz...now if only they could finally shoot their movies in 48fps
rolleyes.gif

getting a "pop effect" 3D-like in regular movies is quite easy tbh...you need a clean source and a high contrast perfectly calibrated display, and yes everything will look like it's gonna pop out of the screen, and without dorky plastic glasses at that.

there's also many more tricks to increase that effect:

HD was meant to look like looking out of a window, that's exactly the feeling I get when it's in motion...I don't need any 3D, 4K resolution, xvYCC gamut or a brand new $4000 projector...bring the 48fps already
evil_smiley.gif

May 11, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 30

Quote:
I wouldn't mind playing a game like Borderlands or Crackdown in 3D. Being able to judge relative distances would be neat. I don't need things coming out of the screen, maybe my character could be a couple inches out from the screen.. The new 3D Nintendo DS should be interesting: no glasses needed.

e: It might be helpful to think of the "new" 3D as early stereo recordings, like the Beatles where they took a mono recording and ganked the tracks hard left and right. It was a gimmick, but eventually recording engineers got the hang of making very good stereo recordings. Given time and with directors like Scorsese and Herzog coming out with 3D movies they may teach a new generation of film makers how to finally do it right.

I think Cameron got it right and know how to shot in 3d.  What may kill 3d is all the post processing 2d to 3d that seems to be done (alice in wonderland, clash of the titains, harry potter 7 and 8 etc).

It really grinds my gears as 3d is the next step , just like colour was from black and white.

May 11, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #10 of 30

Quote:

That's right! I meant as home entertainment essentially...as I don't think that the hollywood material is worth $15 a pop, and my perfectly calibrated DLP videoprojector does a stellar job in 48Hz...now if only they could finally shoot their movies in 48fps
rolleyes.gif

getting a "pop effect" 3D-like in regular movies is quite easy tbh...you need a clean source and a high contrast perfectly calibrated display, and yes everything will look like it's gonna pop out of the screen, and without dorky plastic glasses at that.

there's also many more tricks to increase that effect:

HD was meant to look like looking out of a window, that's exactly the feeling I get when it's in motion...I don't need any 3D, 4K resolution, xvYCC gamut or a brand new $4000 projector...bring the 48fps already
evil_smiley.gif

And what do you calibrate your projector to.  Many films are not meant to get the 3d pop, in fact I would say most films aren't meant to have that, assuming that you have calibrated to D65.  Otherwise your saturation etc is way to high and you will be distorting the image.

I have no interest in 2d to 3d conversions, but films shot in 3d can be amazing (for example: how to train your dragon and avatar).  I personally can't wait to see how it turns out.  Films are not going to go 48fps any time soon, and I personally don't think there is a need to.

May 11, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #12 of 30
I honestly think it's just a passing fad, but only time will tell.

May 11, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #13 of 30
It's actually kinda scary how much Sony is betting on 3D right now...they are investing every single one of their divisions heavily banking on 3D being a success.  I feel that if 3D didn't catch on or if it were a fad (just like 3D in the 90s), the Sony would be in crazy crazy debt!!

May 11, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #14 of 30

And what do you calibrate your projector to.  Many films are not meant to get the 3d pop, in fact I would say most films aren't meant to have that, assuming that you have calibrated to D65.  Otherwise your saturation etc is way to high and you will be distorting the image.

I have no interest in 2d to 3d conversions, but films shot in 3d can be amazing (for example: how to train your dragon and avatar).  I personally can't wait to see how it turns out.  Films are not going to go 48fps any time soon, and I personally don't think there is a need to.

SMPTE-C gamut/D65/2.4? that's what all the movies are essentially calibrated to...I just switch to EBU gamut for european movies and REC.709 if I'm watching genuine unprocessed HD home movies.

That's right, I haven't seen any 3D movie in theater, but there's more and more talk of 3D stuff for home entertainment...and so much hype too
biggrin.gif

you can get the "pop effect" without getting more saturated than SMPTE-C...it's the PRaT of headphones to be perfectly clear, you can't really measure it but it's very much alive! and the higher your contrast ratio the easier it is to achieve. There's also many other tricks to reach it.

I honestly think it's just a passing fad, but only time will tell.

yes, every 10 years they give it a shot
L3000.gif

but this time Mitsubishi seems to have working prototypes of laser DLP 3D displays...and this will mean perfect gamut, no color wheel, no lamp....using some new 3D technology this will kill.

May 11, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #15 of 30

You should try and check out avatar or how to train you dragon at a good theatre.  It'd be interedsting to see your opinions afterwards.
Quote:
That's right, I haven't seen any 3D movie in theater, but there's more and more talk of 3D stuff for home entertainment...and so much hype too
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back