Why FLAC is better.
Oct 27, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #46 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbuzzard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for this reason I usually place an Arm and Hammer box of baking soda in my desktop case right in front of the fans. For my lap top i fill the CD drive with a spoonfull of baking soda and burn a cd of 2livecrew tracks(the "clean" versions of course).

LOL!
biggrin.gif

Best post of the thread so far!
beerchug.gif

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #47 of 176
My MP3s, they're melllltinnggg!

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #48 of 176
I propose a half life decay theory. I think it would be more appropriate to assign mp3's half lives. Every year, bitrates decrease by half. That would make more sense, since the OP didn't specify that the mp3's disappear entirely. This makes perfect sense if paired with the half life decay theory. It would indeed decrease by half every year, but would never entirely disappear.

/thread.

Oct 27, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #49 of 176
my kazaa collection is down to almost 1 kb/s because I had that comp sitting in the sun too long.

Oct 27, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #50 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I admit your aproximation is fine for most practical engineering applications, but this is the sound SCIENCE section.

You're just jealous of our lack of sigfigs.

Besides, you forgot to account for centripetal force throwing the bits out to the edges of the disc. That compresses your music further.

And don't forget disc size. We've got 3.5", 2.5", and 1.9" diameter discs. And then there are multi-platter disc drives...

And what about solid state drives?

Oct 27, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #51 of 176
i heard that you lose bits on solid state when the bits turn into gas...

Oct 27, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #52 of 176
0 kbps mp3's actually save a lot of space. yippie!
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #53 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by etiolate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i heard that you lose bits on solid state when the bits turn into gas...

That's sublimation. Bits going from a solid state directly to a gas state. It causes a change in phase of the sound waves.

Oct 28, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #54 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're just jealous of our lack of sigfigs.

Besides, you forgot to account for centripetal force throwing the bits out to the edges of the disc. That compresses your music further.

And don't forget disc size. We've got 3.5", 2.5", and 1.9" diameter discs. And then there are multi-platter disc drives...

And what about solid state drives?

I will not dignify your meanderings with a response.

I see that you intentionally quoted only that part of my post in which I mis-spelled "approximation."
frown.gif

Not very nice. Not very nice at all. Not much more than a thinly veiled ad-hominem attack.

I went back and fixed it in my original post so that I could falsely accuse you of mis-quoting me.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Here is a visual depiction of the effects of progressive velocidensity-induced data loss:

ksc75smile.gif
evil_smiley.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
wink.gif
k701smile.gif
darthsmile.gif

frown.gif
triportsad.gif
jecklinsmile.gif
confused_face_2.gif

confused.gif
smile_phones.gif
tongue_smile.gif

happy_face1.gif
confused_face.gif

deadhorse.gif
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif
redface.gif
angry_face.gif

beerchug.gif
duggehsmile.png

beyersmile.png
icon10.gif
L3000.gif

bigsmile_face.gif
regular_smile .gif
mad.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #55 of 176
Quote:

The net equation comes out rather simple, as it turns out:

V = ma / c-t

where V = rotational velocidensity
m = mass of drive
a = acceleration of drive
c= speed of light
t = data transfer speed

Uh... we have the small problem of violating the laws of mathematics here - the dimensional analysis of this equation shows that you are trying to subtract two quantities "c" and "t" which are dimensionally different, this cannot be performed without a large tear in space time fabric. To avoid that phenomenon I have attempted to fix your equation giving:

V= ((ma)/(ct))*f*s)

where
V = Velocidensity (kg/(m^2*s)
m = mass of drive (kg)
c = speed of light (m/s)
t = data transfer speed(kb/s)
f = data packing factor ( amount of data per unit area of the platter kb/m^2)
s = sampling frequency of file ( hz or 1/s)

I believe these corrections to be correct. The really funny thing is I actually did the dimensional analysis on this equation and it works! hopefully my fellow engineers/engineering students will get a kick out of it.

Oct 28, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #56 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swingtops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh... we have the small problem of violating the laws of mathematics here - the dimensional analysis of this equation shows that you are trying to subtract two quantities "c" and "t" which are dimensionally different, this cannot be performed without a large tear in space time fabric. To avoid that phenomenon I have attempted to fix your equation giving:

V= ((ma)/(ct))*f*s)

where
V = Velocidensity (kg/(m^2*s)
m = mass of drive (kg)
c = speed of light (m/s)
t = data transfer speed(kb/s)
f = data packing factor ( amount of data per unit area of the platter kb/m^2)
s = sampling frequency of file ( hz or 1/s)

I believe these corrections to be correct. The really funny thing is I actually did the dimensional analysis on this equation and it works! hopefully my fellow engineers/engineering students will get a kick out of it.

First of all you are well known among math gangs and other street math circles. Everyone knows that every time anyone posts an equation you feel compelled to say they are violating the laws of mathematics and tearing a hole in space-time and you add a data packing factor and a sample frequency of file. It gets a little old.

But seriously (sort of), wouldn't you get infinite velocidensity if data transfer were zero? Maybe spawn a new universe?

So if I turn off my computer I will get a black hole, possibly a quasar or pulsar or blazar? Or a new universe?

And you have the nerve to accuse me of merely creating a large tear in space-time?
confused.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #58 of 176
LOL @ this whole thread. The black holes just cracked me up.

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #59 of 176
Quote:

But seriously (sort of), wouldn't you get infinite velocidensity if data transfer were zero? Maybe spawn a new universe?

actually this would be a major violation of mathematics causing the following result:

devided-by-zero-demotivational-poster.jpg

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #60 of 176
Spontaneous disruption of the space time continuum and utter eminent universal destruction? All from an mp3?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back