Why exactly does bose suck?
Dec 24, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #46 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by beamthegreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bose headphones may suck but I have to disagree with their speakers. My 1700$ stereo speaker from bose sounds 10 times better than my sennheiser ie8. The speakers doesn't produce loud muddy bass like the bose headphones or lacks mids and highs. They almost sound as good as listening to a live performance. Although I agree that they set the price a little too high.

Wow, $1700 speakers beat $250 IEMs? That's astounding value right there!

Dec 24, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #47 of 73
Epic bump.

Anyway, Bose isn't the worse stuff out there, just extremely over-priced. They gotta pay for advertising somehow.

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #49 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, $1700 speakers beat $250 IEMs? That's astounding value right there!

449$ to be exact
atsmile.gif

Dec 27, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #51 of 73
Holy thread ressurrection, Batman!

Close pleasethnxbye

Dec 27, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #52 of 73
Well, hopefully this is the last dead horse beaten for a while
deadhorse.gif

I think if you can't see the wood for the trees (as with many in-depth geeks who get way too involved with a field *points to all here incl myself*), you may well think that Bose sucks. However lots of their stuff delivers exactly what a casual user is looking for... and Bose aim, market and design their products for this type of user. I would say that rather than sucking as such, that they understand their target market very well.

It's all about relative perspective. I always find it very funny for example that the Apple-owning online audiophile contingent should savage Bose... because they're in effect making exactly the same compromises for something that looks good, is very easy to live with, has some nice design touches, is expertly marketed and feels good but is not necessarily the best-performing, best value nor the most reliable kid on the block. When you point out that extremely accurate parallel they get very defensive
evil_smiley.gif

I use a Triport AE, and have for several years now as my primary portable headphones when I'm not using IEM's (although I would have to admit I use IEM's in all but the coldest weather). Why you may ask when I am to all intents and purposes a card-carrying Head-Fier, can certainly afford to buy anything else, and for someone who has mown their way through more phones than many here to arrive at such a choice you may ask... and the answer is simple: I've found it to be ultimately the best compromise for the job - so far. It's the package of social acceptability, isolation, comfort, ease of living-with and acceptable (and yes, I'm all too aware it has a bad case of closed phone honk) sound. Much of the things in fact that, er, normal people look for.

Still looking of course, but haven't found a better compromise package yet.

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #53 of 73
It's all about relative perspective. I always find it very funny for example that the Apple-owning online audiophile contingent should savage Bose... because they're in effect making exactly the same compromises for something that looks good, is very easy to live with, has some nice design touches, is expertly marketed and feels good but is not necessarily the best-performing, best value nor the most reliable kid on the block.

BANGRAMAN: You are correct to a certain extent. You can put compressed files on an iPod or....... lossless files. With lossless file you should have a sound just like the CD it came off of.

My take on BOSE: They are a marketing machine with middle of the road products.

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #54 of 73
I thought that I would add to the above post and get my post count up at the same time!!! The higher post count should make me appear to be more authoritative in these forums or BOSE like if I may say so myself!!!!

Bose has a lot of competitors doing the same thing and some at a much higher price.

THERE IS A LOT OF SNAKE OIL IN THE WORLD OF AUDIO. BUYER BEWARE!!

SPEAKER CABLES...oops, did I say that???

Dec 28, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #56 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, hopefully this is the last dead horse beaten for a while
deadhorse.gif

I think if you can't see the wood for the trees (as with many in-depth geeks who get way too involved with a field *points to all here incl myself*), you may well think that Bose sucks. However lots of their stuff delivers exactly what a casual user is looking for... and Bose aim, market and design their products for this type of user. I would say that rather than sucking as such, that they understand their target market very well.

It's all about relative perspective. I always find it very funny for example that the Apple-owning online audiophile contingent should savage Bose... because they're in effect making exactly the same compromises for something that looks good, is very easy to live with, has some nice design touches, is expertly marketed and feels good but is not necessarily the best-performing, best value nor the most reliable kid on the block. When you point out that extremely accurate parallel they get very defensive
evil_smiley.gif

I use a Triport AE, and have for several years now as my primary portable headphones when I'm not using IEM's (although I would have to admit I use IEM's in all but the coldest weather). Why you may ask when I am to all intents and purposes a card-carrying Head-Fier, can certainly afford to buy anything else, and for someone who has mown their way through more phones than many here to arrive at such a choice you may ask... and the answer is simple: I've found it to be ultimately the best compromise for the job - so far. It's the package of [size=xx-large]social acceptability[/size], isolation, comfort, ease of living-with and acceptable (and yes, I'm all too aware it has a bad case of closed phone honk) sound. Much of the things in fact that, er, normal people look for.

Still looking of course, but haven't found a better compromise package yet.

qft

Dec 28, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #57 of 73
The best part of neocapitalism and consumerism is freedom of choice. Free to spend too much on products with a big over the top promotional platform. Guess what it worked. As all the small but maybe good little guys struggle, Bose writes the multimillion sports star advertisement campaign just like Coke. And life goes on. Maybe someday they will even improve. They have the money to do the research.

My daily portable is a 30 gig Apple Video a pair of Bose IEMs superglued tips with lossless.

Dec 28, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #58 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm pretty sure my AD700s would knock the socks off a pair of Orpheus. Damn 20k Sennheisers.

Nice post # 500!

I don't think the recent $20.5K eBay price will continue to hold for the Orpheus. It will sink back to the $12-13K level, and maybe $7K for the phones alone.

I have not heard the AD700s, but I know they are supposed to be close the AD2K's which I have. And indeed, on certain hard rock live stadium albums, they sound better than my Orpheus, as I have detailed elsewhere.

The Orpheus is about euphonics. Nothing can touch it in this dimension -- nothing from Stax -- don't believe those who tell you so, I have compared over-and-over directly, with many people. Orph always wins.

Say this has nothing to do with Bose. Thank the lord.

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #59 of 73
Bose doesn't seem like it has an incentive to make quality stuff. They just need to sell and outsell with their hypnotic, mind-controlling marketing. I swear, I am appalled by the psychological effect of Bose marketing on some people. Those rabid Bose fans are like, brainwashed or something, it is a little disturbing sometimes, maybe even Hitler disturbing, to hear how they suddenly have such loyalty and zeal when it comes to other headphones versus Bose. Not the least bit of curiosity to hear how things are different from one another, like they somehow know without actually knowing.
I tell them nothing, I only observe silently.
(I don't feel I used the right words to express myself. I hope it is understandable anyway.)

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #60 of 73
This thread makes me pine for the old days of head-fi when you knew everybody. O MacDef, where are you?

...and since I have said it before I will say it again...I miss apheared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back