Why don't the well known audiophile amp companies make headphone amps?
Dec 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #31 of 63
In my limited bubble of audio adventures in the Phoenix-metro area I have met dealers and audiofools alike to buy various things over the years.  In almost every case it appears that "speaker guys" have never truly delved into headphones; they didn't even get their start as headphone guys.  Asking dealers about headphones or related gear and they almost always tell me stuff wouldn't sell, etc.  IME I bet this same kind of mentality goes all the way up the chain.  I don't blame them quite honestly, most of us headphone guys are cheap and picky.

The irony is I'm the type that wouldn't blink to spend $800 on a new set of cans but wouldn't even consider a set of speakers costing that much.  The dealers seem to cater mostly to the guys who spend $$$$.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #32 of 63
Actually, Woodbridge Stereo in NJ introduced me to Stax and AKG phones back in the early 1980s. I'm not sure if they still carry headphone eqpt.
They actually used to repair audio equipment in their shop.
(I tip my hat to the people there. Some of the guys have been there for 15-20 years and sponsor exhibits at the NY audio shows.)

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #36 of 63
We tried the HE-6 with the Pass Labs XA30.5 today.  It sounded very nice but there was too much gain.  It had lot of humming. 

Emm labs Dac2 > Cavalli Liquid Glass > Pass labs xa 30.5

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #38 of 63
I was using the LG as a pre amp. Not sure why it is humming.  Will have to play with it and see whats up.

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #41 of 63
The emm labs has no pre amp. Just a dac. I tried with different tubes too. I'll try rr routing power later tonight.

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #42 of 63
popcorn.gif

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #44 of 63
because unlike most speakers which are reasonably good, most headphones are actually crap.

that's why the notion of a 2000$ headphone with +/-10dB in the highs is not laughable. in the speaker world you couldn't get away with that in a 20$ speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back