Why don't Sony make R-10s anymore?
Sep 11, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by t1174 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
even the ear pad are already out of stock.

Holy smokes.
That's a pretty young and expensive product not to be able to supply perishables like ear pads.

Sep 11, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #18 of 28
I guess...
* The machine(s) used to build them is worn out?
* The guy(s) used to build them have retired (or found a new job)?
* They did not sell enough to justify their production costs (aka revenue)?
* They were replaced by the Qualia 010, and hence discontinued?

Either way, I am sure Sony have their reasons. While we of course would want them to be in current production.
wink.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

It is because thereis no more materials needed to produce R10, say the wooden cup and the core. the last core Sony got have already sold to a hong kong guy on 2007. even the ear pad are already out of stock.

zelkova serrata is easily acquired and nowhere near scarce.

The tools used to manufacture the driver itself i can believe are probably worn out, but it's not as though magnets, copper wire, resin, and cellulose are rare materials.

Like any other expensive object that is no longer available: They reached a point where there was an obstacle to continuing producton that was more costly than it was worth.

Sep 11, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

...even the ear pad are already out of stock.

ph34r.gif
No way. Are you kidding me...?? So owners have to DIY their earpads now?

Where did you cite this information? (can provide link please...)

Sep 11, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #22 of 28
i wonder if we gathered our money to sony, like 500 orders at $3,000 apiece, would they make a limited run? (or has that been requested before already?) i'm sure if sony suddenly got 1.5 mil to work with, they'll really reconsider! lol...

Sep 12, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #24 of 28
I honestly dont think there would be any issues with demand if they decided to do another run.

An R10 went up on the FS forum recently for $6200USD, and sold within 12 hours. To me that indicates that demand and potential buyers for a headphone in this price category is still very high.

Sep 12, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly dont think there would be any issues with demand if they decided to do another run.

An R10 went up on the FS forum recently for $6200USD, and sold within 12 hours. To me that indicates that demand and potential buyers for a headphone in this price category is still very high.

Yes, I was blown away by how quickly they sold. I am very blessed and make decent money, but I can't imagine spending $6K on a pair of cans. My theory is that it is mainly driven by lust for the rare and highly sought after stuff....

I own a very nice pair of JVC DX-1000's but I have been itching and twitching for another pair of phones so I pulled the trigger on some Edition 9's. I couldn't resist. If I was rich I probably would have jumped on the R10's.

Back on topic, how much did they sell for originally? What years were they in production?

Sep 12, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wonder if we gathered our money to sony, like 500 orders at $3,000 apiece, would they make a limited run? (or has that been requested before already?) i'm sure if sony suddenly got 1.5 mil to work with, they'll really reconsider! lol...

Good luck finding 500 Head-Fi'ers willing to put $3,000 up front for an R10.
Its a lot of money, especially when you don't know the outcome.

Sep 12, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #27 of 28
Because they decided to quit making them.

Sep 12, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #28 of 28
I would be willing to join in for an R10. But only if I knew the quality (sound and build) would be on par with those from the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back