Why don't people buy Black Friday items before Black Friday?
Nov 3, 2007 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

nghiasays

100+ Head-Fier
Since Black Friday ads go out early like the Sears offering HD-A3 HD-DVD player for 170 dollars, why can't I buy the player there now or just before BF and get the difference on BF during the BF hours? Do stores have a no return policy on that day or built some kind of protection from doing this?

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #2 of 15
i heard of ppl doing this b4... some come back with good results... but the worst thing that can happen is they refuse to pricematch during BF, and you can return it later right? (at least for credit)

i'd be pissed if it didnt work tho

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 15
Because most stores have exceptions to their price match policy that states that you can NOT PM on special deals, event, sales, w/e... you have to be VERY lucky to get a PM on black friday.

Nov 3, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #4 of 15
what he said ^

Nov 3, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 15
That and the fact that a good deal of items that may show up on Black Friday are specifically not stocked in the store until that day, forcing you to come then.

Nov 3, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 15
Plus it is to the stores' advantage that you physically come in on black friday because through mob mentality, you'd want to keep buying more items in order to "save" more, just like the others.

So you come in planning to buy one electronic item, but in the end, you justify with the money saved on that item, you can buy even more black friday things you wanted but never needed. Oh, yeah, some stores snake the checkout line through many, many aisles that allows you to pickup more crap you don't need because of your exposure to more BF items.

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #8 of 15
I'm still bitter about last years Amazon XBox debacle.

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif

you are not the only one...

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 15
You could buy the day before, if there is a return policy they'll fully reimburse you (and there should be, at least at stores like gap). You can then just take the jacket and buy it right after refunding... That's if PM doesn't work.

And TBH, although it's a work-around the a no PM policy, most store employees don't really care at all as long as they're following the store's guideline!

Nov 3, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #11 of 15
BF Sucks.

Although, I must admit, this year, I WILL be in line at Best Buy or Circuit City to get a new, even if crap laptop to run Linux on, browse the web, and turn this current one solely into a work-horse.

Also, I'm in the market for HD-DVD/BlueRay players and a 1080p LCD or Plasma TV...this year is going to be chaotic.

Nov 3, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow I had completely forgotten about that.

It was good fun seeing how it played out...I'm glad I didn't want an Xbox though.

Nov 4, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #13 of 15
gee thanks guys. now i hate amazon again...
redface.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #14 of 15
BF sales are to drive traffic/transactions plain and simple. If they allowed you to easily get the BF deal there is no point.

It's along the same lines as the Best Buy clearance items since they do region specific, non chain wide markdowns which is all the rage now in retail efficiency.
People are buying large qtys of the clearance items hoping that they will go to the deepest discount that someone has seen in some other store.

Well sorry to say that this stuff is monitored and with all the stock of an item selling out, most likely it will not need to be discounted anymore since it has sold through (obviously they can't know how many are sold that are people waiting to return it if the price doesn't go down). There are exceptions of course (like if an item is too old) but the logic employed by retailers and what people seem to think will happen doesn't match up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back