Why doesn't what I want, exist? Studio monitor humdrum
May 10, 2012 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

magnaton

New Head-Fier
Hi there-
So.. I'm looking for some powered studio monitors that have an RCA aaaand a digital input. I want to use an appletv to wirelessly play music from my devies, and I want to be able to plug in my turntable through the same system.
This seems to be an incredibly tall order because the only systems that seem to do this are the Roland/ Cakewalk MA-15D or the Behringer MS40 (which seem to be knock-offs of the Rolands). Mixed reviews about these two systems, and the Rolands seem to be out of commission. I was hoping to get something a little better too-- perhaps the $400 range for a pair?

Please advise.
Cheers!

May 10, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #2 of 6
The Adam ARTist 3 (and ARTist 5) include a usb dac. 
http://www.audiostream.com/content/adam-professional-audio-artist-3

But I think they'll break your budget at nearly $1K. 

May 10, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 6
I WISH Audioengine 5+s had digital input! They were my first choice/ go-to option for this set-up. The USB port is just for charging phones/ coffecup warmers apparently. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Haha... ARTist 3's are definitely beyond budget, but I'm even a bit disappointed that they don't have a seperate volume controls for optical and rca inputs. I can't believe I'm suggesting this, but more companies should apparently take a leaf out of Behringer's book.

May 10, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
I WISH Audioengine 5+s had digital input! They were my first choice/ go-to option for this set-up. The USB port is just for charging phones/ coffecup warmers apparently. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Haha... ARTist 3's are definitely beyond budget, but I'm even a bit disappointed that they don't have a seperate volume controls for optical and rca inputs. I can't believe I'm suggesting this, but more companies should apparently take a leaf out of Behringer's book.

They do make optical to mini-jack adapters ...

May 10, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #6 of 6
You have to remember that the target market for most studio monitors, is not users feeding them from USB. Most will be feeding them from some sort of digital/audio interface that is already doing that job. 

You're really looking at multi-media monitors and those end up more in the consumer grade. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back