Why doesn't Etymotic "fix" the ER-4?
Apr 11, 2007 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

frescagod

100+ Head-Fier
From the sound of it, most ER-4p/s owners generally love their IEMs and pretty much crap on any other ones
biggrin.gif
, but in all seriousness, I'm curious as to why Etymotic hasn't changed the design of it at all. It's a ~15 year old design, and while the ER4 lovers out there will gush endlessly about the SQ, they all do seem to complain about the design, comfort, and microphonics.

Why doesn't Etymotic make a physical design change, both for the annoying microphonics problem and simply for aesthetics? It's a pretty ugly IEM, if you ask me.

Apr 12, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by frescagod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why doesn't Etymotic make a physical design change, both for the annoying microphonics problem and simply for aesthetics?

IMO they simply are not good at this. I think that's truly the bottom line. They're great audio engineers, but the non-audio aspect of design is not one of their strengths.

If Ety offered a magnesium-cased ER-4S with cords that looked like Crystal Cable, they'd have a hard time stopping me from adding it to my collection whatever the price. But they don't seem interested in designing lust-objects, just earphones with super audio quality and all else secondary.

I suppose I can live with that. It's the music that counts, and Etymotic supplies it wonderfully. As for the microphonics, I've found they're a lot less problematic with Complys than with tri-flanges. YMMV, but it really helped me.

Quote:

It's a pretty ugly IEM, if you ask me.

I can't agree with this. If enough of the unit is visible for someone to think it's ugly, you you don't have it in deep enough.

That reads like a flip remark, but I'm actually serious. Properly inserted, there's very little to see besides cable and strain relief.

Apr 12, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this one indeed looks better than the existing model..

You've got to be kidding me!?

1. Once someone has them in their ears, aside from the monochromatic look, I bet you'd be hard-pressed to see much of a difference.
2. The new design doesn't look as modular as the old/current. I bet you can't separate the cable from the drivers like you can now. That's a step in the wrong direction, imo.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If Ety offered a magnesium-cased ER-4S with cords that looked like Crystal Cable, they'd have a hard time stopping me from adding it to my collection whatever the price.

do they actually have a headphone cable? or a cable suitable for headphones, cuz they look relaly worth diying

Quote:

That reads like a flip remark, but I'm actually serious. Properly inserted, there's very little to see besides cable and strain relief.

well the red and blue bits are outside my ears, the barrel is in my outter ear and the tip is inside my ear canal. which is good, cuz knowing people can see the red and blue
etysmile.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #7 of 83
Quote:

IMO they simply are not good at this. I think that's truly the bottom line. They're great audio engineers, but the non-audio aspect of design is not one of their strengths.

I think the aesthetic problems can be fixed easily enough. Get a couple of product design students to design a new casing and pronto! Many students are willing to do this without any pay (God.. I'll do it for free..
cool.gif
) though a company like Etymotic should really be able to pay professionals.

I guess there's always room for improvement and in Ety's case, the looks, not the sound
etysmile.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #8 of 83
one of the main reasons why they havent changed the designs is that its simple and works. but ultimately still makes them(Etymotic) heaps of money.

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #9 of 83
even after they are properly put, in your ears, they stick out a lot and that tends to make big O around your head. just like
etysmile.gif
well, new design doesnt resolve that problem but it will reduce the problem a bit.(not really a problem but i didnt like it to stick out too much around my head/ear/shoulder)

interchangeable feature is good. but well, i never had to change the wires so... it was somewhat useless TO ME.. well, at least the etys representitives told me not to do so, if not necessary..

if you like the older design, that's fine with me. but well, i like the newer one
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #10 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
even after they are properly put, in your ears, they stick out a lot and that tends to make big O around your head. just like
etysmile.gif
well, new design doesnt resolve that problem but it will reduce the problem a bit.(not really a problem but i didnt like it to stick out too much around my head/ear/shoulder)

i agree with this and disagree with a previous post that they "don't stick out at all." i have to jam them in pretty far and they still stick out pretty far diagonally and downward.

anyway, i was thinking that since lots of IEMs allow you to route the cable over the ear, why wouldn't Ety? there's clearly a direct correlation of straight-out design ----> more microphonics.

Apr 12, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #13 of 83
Quote:

anyway, i was thinking that since lots of IEMs allow you to route the cable over the ear, why wouldn't Ety? there's clearly a direct correlation of straight-out design ----> more microphonics.

I wear mine with the cable over the ear. Just put them in with the strain reducer facing up. Also, the material that the IEM body is made out of has a lot more to do with the microphonic effect than the shape. That, and the cable. The way I wear mine, though, there is ZERO cable noise.

Apr 12, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #14 of 83
Piccolo, got a pic for that? I've seen the earhugger ones, but I can't visualise what you described. I can only picture the strain relief sticking out more if you rotate it about the axis of the driver.
Unless, it does stick out more... but still manages to reduce microphonics.

Apr 12, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #15 of 83
If I buy IEM for looks only I will definitely buy one or two V-Modas or UEs.

Ety is ugly looking no doubt. But that ugliness attracts me because I am a firm believer in fuctionality over style. And I am a strong believer in Industrial looks too

If Ety is coming up with ER-4 next gen, I will jump into it blindly
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back