Why doesn't anyone make a product like this? ** update ** Lehmann Audio BCL with a bit of tube magic.
Apr 3, 2011 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DjAmTraX

Now known as: HiFiGuy528
I have a few home preamps, some tubes some solid state.  All have their sonic signature that I like.  How come not one makes a headphones amp only, no volume control or preamp.  This amp will allow me to use the preamp of my choice.  Is there a product like that?

I like the sound of my Lehmann Audio BCL, but I want to add a bit of tube magic to it with a McIntosh tube preamp. Using a DAC does not power the headphones. The preamp doesn't have a tube headphones amp section.

*** update ***
I emailed Mr. Lehmann about my idea. Here is his reply. Should be fun paired with my Cary Audio or McIntosh for some tube magic.

Hi,

thank you for your kind enquiry. Just use the Linear in the 0dB setting and turn volume to max. Then proceed as intended. Should work perfectly. If you do not have enough gain then use higher gain setting.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen
With kind regards from the Atlantic

Norbert Lehmann

Apr 3, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 13
You could just use a speaker amp and connect your headphones to the terminals.

Apr 3, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 13
That's how I built my beta22. Not sure if I have seen any commercial offerings like that though. You could always just turn the volume knob to max and use the preamp for volume control.

Apr 3, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 13
You can't just hook up an amp to headphones. I wish it was that easy.

I like the sound of my Lehmann Audio BCL, but I want to add a bit of tube magic to it with a McIntosh tube preamp. Using a DAC does not power the headphones. The preamp doesn't have a tube headphones amp section.

Apr 3, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #6 of 13
I emailed Mr. Lehmann about my idea. Here is his reply. Should be fun paired with my Cary Audio or McIntosh for some tube magic.

Hi,

thank you for your kind enquiry. Just use the Linear in the 0dB setting and turn volume to max. Then proceed as intended. Should work perfectly. If you do not have enough gain then use higher gain setting.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen
With kind regards from the Atlantic

Norbert Lehmann

Apr 3, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 13
That is how I am using the Lehmann/HD800 with my McIntosh C220.  I am running it off of one of the switchable outputs.  Been using NOS ribbed Telefunkens and love the sound.  I just bought two 1959 Mullard 12AX7 long plates to see what that sounds like.  I think it going to be sweet.

Apr 3, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #8 of 13
1)  Headphone amps rarely have a separate preamp circuit - rather, their preamp outputs are simply tied to the same headphone amp circuit
2)  With their volume set to maximum, you typically have 0db of attenuation, and hence this is identical to having no volume control

simply use just about any headphone amp with the volume all the way up, and you'll have what you're looking for :) 

Apr 3, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #9 of 13
Ray Samuels makes a couple of models that have a pre-amp in them that can be totally isolated for headphone use. His theory is to short out all of the other circuitry when using just the pre-amp for headphones, so there is no RFI or EMI coming from the speaker outs, but still uses a variety of tubes. I believe that 3 of them are the B-52, the A-10 and the Apache. The Apache is S/S though.

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #10 of 13
That is how I am using the Lehmann/HD800 with my McIntosh C220.  I am running it off of one of the switchable outputs.  Been using NOS ribbed Telefunkens and love the sound.  I just bought two 1959 Mullard 12AX7 long plates to see what that sounds like.  I think it going to be sweet.

Did you have to increase the gain on the BCL from 0 db to more? Do you hear much of the tube magic from the C220 through the BCL?

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #11 of 13
1)  Headphone amps rarely have a separate preamp circuit - rather, their preamp outputs are simply tied to the same headphone amp circuit
2)  With their volume set to maximum, you typically have 0db of attenuation, and hence this is identical to having no volume control

simply use just about any headphone amp with the volume all the way up, and you'll have what you're looking for :) 

Wouldn't most headphones amp add gain with the volume all the way up? I don't want to add and gain or noise in the system.

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Wouldn't most headphones amp add gain with the volume all the way up? I don't want to add and gain or noise in the system.

Sure, they'll add the gain they're set for, which will be in a range from 1 to 10 usually.

What you're looking for is a simple current buffer. It will only work if your preamp output (in voltage terms) is high enough to provide what's required by the headphones. For low impedance headphones, it's no big deal but, with some inefficient high impedance headphones, it might be a problem.

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #13 of 13
With my Lehmann BCL switched to 0 and the volume maxed, the volume matches the C220 HP out.  I am not hearing any added noise from the Lehmann.  

I think the McIntosh tube sound is handled beautifully by the Lehmann.  For example, on the acoustic base guitar part on Tu Tranquilo (Track 5 on 'Love is Strange', Jackson Browne and David Lindley) I can hear subtle harmonic overtones on a strong strum.  This complex resonance of the guitar body is lost listening directly from the C220 HP output. Also, the attack of David Lindley Hawaiian steel guitar is much more dynamic with the Lehmann.  The McIntosh sound signature works well with the Hd800s, calming their high end and mellowing them out a bit.   I will give an update when I get the Mullard long plates.  

I am neither an engineer nor a musician, just a hobbyist trying to describe what I am hearing.  For today, I am happy. Try it DJ, and let us know what you think.

I edited this post for clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back