Why doesn't anybody like the Denon AH-D600
May 1, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #226 of 242
From the impressions thread

I realise I'm quite late to the game reviewing the D7100s here but nevertheless, here's my two cents:

I bought them in the airport on an impulse purchase back when I lacked an amp, thinking they would be easier to drive and more engaging to my hip-hop obsessed state than my Sennheiser HD650s. While I certainly don't think they deserve the hate they got on the forums, and were certainly engaging, dynamic and interesting to listen to, they are a little muddy, even in comparison to an unamped HD650.

Later, when I purchased my Schiit Mjolnir 2 and Gungnir MB, these cans really opened up and I was far more satisfied with the control they offered. Have since skipped a couple of upgrade steps to the Focal Utopias, but still listen to them ocassionally when I need a more relaxed listening experience!

some of my older thoughts from the AD-D600 review thread:

These are great headphones, and I've gone through a couple. Very comfortable and great for electronic music and movies.

I ended up with an older D2000 which is similar but I'd say more analytical. Its also very comfortable. The highs on the D2000 are much sharper than the D600.

The D2000 and D5000 are very similar. the D2000 is excellent with trance music. The bass lines just roll.

And so after a long hiatus... and thinking about this headphone for many years... its back.

Seems like the third time is a charm. The second time owning these headphones, they didn't have the impact... but what I'm realizing is that the pads may not have been properly either broken in or attached. My first pair and this one sound like how I remembered.

This is such an underrated can. What I've come to appreciate after owning Denon D2000 (2x), TH-X00 and auditioning TH-900 and AH-D7200 is that I absolutely adore biodynamic drivers.

And as far as I'm concerned a biodynamic is a biodynamic. While I loved the tuning of the TH-X00, the AH-D600 is more comfortable and portable. It scratches that itch.

So like Frederickwild, I also own a Utopia.

So why the AH-D600? Well, I sold off some closed sets and my HD800... I needed a comfy set to chill with (Utopia is not as comfy, its more like a fighter pilot helmet). What I've come to realize, is that when doing work tasks, gaming, etc... you don't necessarily need Utopia grade. And even among biodynamics, the D600 is no slouch. It isn't my reference can, and so a coloured tuning is fine... its actually desired.

Also, the Utopia can be harsh on anything that isn't impeccably mastered and engineered. The D600 is much more forgiving.

Now really, my Sony XBA-Z5 in-ears pretty much take the cake for bass and smooth sound. In contrast the D600 is splashier, and has punch but doesn't extend the same way. However, over-ears are just more cohesive for myself.

For whatever reason, I sorely missed this headphone. I am so happy to have it back. It costs me a fraction of my Utopia (like 1/30th!) but I know I'm going to be using these a lot.

May 2, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #227 of 242
@Malfunkt

I completely understand you.

The AH-D600 looks quite nice and is well assembled. They are very comfortable as they offer space enough for most ears (and heads!) and have a reasonable weight. They provide good sound isolation (great for work) and, finally, they are tuned to a 'fun' sound signature which makes them a great choice for entertainment of any kind: youtube, movies, games...

Among all the HPs l've had l settled on this Denons as my daily HP because they tick many boxes l personally value. One of them being that l don't care if they brake. l just drop them on my desk (large mouse pad) as opposed to, for example, my HD-800 which l keep on a headphone stand and cover (against dust) after every use (which l find annoying).

The Denons are plugged to my PC front jack and l use the short cable; the HD-800 are plugged to my Audio GD - Reference 10.32 via the 3 metres long balanced cable (see the difference?).

As it stands, I use the Denons most of the time and only use other HPs (and my TOTL amplifier) when l just want to listen to music.

Denon AH-D600 (1).jpg Denon AH-D600 (2).jpg

May 2, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #228 of 242
Ah yeah, there's just some charm it has really. Im glad I demoed one when I pop on a Denon dealer in my local mall, I was surprised by how good it sounds, that I bought it instantly that night (the one on the shop was exorbitantly priced, bought one used in good condition for reasonable price)

And man, I'm satisfied.
One thing to complain about it tho, that pleather earpads, man it's fragile, I tried popping it off once and it almost rip on me just with that.

RpvTy1Ir.jpg

So a couple weeks after I bought mine and are still using it, I happen to come across the same Denon dealer and.... God it's battered, the demo model is just in a sad condition, sure enough something that'd happen if you don't baby it, and in the hands, really it does feel like it need to be babied IMO.

SO I figured I should just change it, bought a HM5 Sheepskin, add a bit of layer of foam to take the heightened sibilance down, and I'm golden, I use it more often now that I don't feel it'd tear on me everytime I use it.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #229 of 242
Was comparing them last night side by side against the Utopia. I know not really a fair fight. Some of the main differences, are the D600 will get a bit shouty and harsh when pushed say on classical vocal recordings and it won't have the separation on instruments. The tuning on the Utopia is impeccable as well.

Other than that, I would say the D600 does a very good job, especially with classical recordings. It has just a smidge too much bass for this material but probably just enough if you are listening to electronic and pop. It looks like the Denon made a compromise in between reference and fun - which is why I like ti so much.

There is a mod posted here https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/denon-ah-d600/ Measurably the mod looks very good, so this can may hold even more capability than stock. I'm a bit worried of tearing the pads though.. and I probably could just use EQ if I wanted this to sound more reference... or use my Utopia!

So I'll probably just enjoy them stock and let my mind adjust.

Jan 13, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #230 of 242
Necrobump just to say that I picked up a gimpy pair from ebay on a whim. No pads, damaged plug.

Threw on Geekria pads and put a new plug on the cable. The 4-pole plugs sure are fiddly to solder by hand but I had it sorted in about 20 minutes. I'll make it permanent as soon as I figure out where I put my tube of E6000. It'll even look stock from a distance because the shell of the replacement plug fits inside the original shell.

As someone with various electrostatics and a whole bunch of planar-magnetics, I will say that these are pretty decent.

Jan 24, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #231 of 242
The pads' og leather is so thin I'd be surprised if any of them survived this long without deteriorating.

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #232 of 242
I'm researching and see there are two streams of information. D600 has 2 versions, 1 version uses fostex biocellulose driver, another version uses nano carbon driver. Anyone who owns a d600 please confirm this.

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #235 of 242
I was gonna check on my Denon D600 headphones i thought they where nano fibre too, till I saw this how as this happened they have been stored for a few months as I've been using my Denon 7200 :astonished::astonished:

Attachments

• WIN_20240406_16_57_30_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240406_16_57_30_Pro.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 0
Apr 8, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #238 of 242
I was gonna check on my Denon D600 headphones i thought they where nano fibre too, till I saw this how as this happened they have been stored for a few months as I've been using my Denon 7200 :astonished::astonished:
Humidity, anything stored for a long time will be like that if you live in tropical country, my room stays around 60-70% and it breaks many stuff, leather, paint, planar drivers tracers etc.
It's better to regularly use your cans if you have them, if not keep them in dry container like ones for cameras. Or use a dehumidifier.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #239 of 242
I absolutely love how these cans sound, easily one of if not the most enjoyable closed-back cans I own. But they are loaded with QC issues. First to go are the earpads. They rip from the seam. Then the headband starts to flake after about half a year of use. But the biggest problem is that eventually the rubber surround on the driver would tear and crack. In the hot humid air of Asian countries every pair would do this. Rather sad because it really sounds fabulous. Modern denons got nothing on this.

May 2, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #240 of 242
Anyone still using the d600s.
I have seen a set for 90 euros that look in really good condition and am tempted as I think the bass might suit me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back