Why does Punk Rock get praised by critics while Metal gets bashed?
Jun 12, 2009 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 111

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone notice how The Ramones, Sex Pistols, Patti Smith, Clash, Wire, Blondie, Rancid, Green Day get endorsed heavily by critics, but then....

Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Antrhax, Megadeth, Motley Crue etc get bashed, or at least in their time got bashed by the critics.

There's really such a thin line between metal and punk especially in the early days. I personally appreciate both genres, but I just don't understand why metal is just not endorsed by the critics in the same regard

Progressive Rock has always been a genre that has been dismissed by the critics in bulk, but I think this is because most rock critics do not understand it, rock and roll is 3/4/5/ maybe 6 chords, so to hear players writing and playing in a style nearly as demanding as a Beethoven or Brahms work is enough reason for them to dismiss and say "if I wanted to listen to technical perfection, I wouldn't be a rock critic" etc.

But as far as metal, there is so much overlap in attitude with punk, that I just don't get the dismissal.

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 111
Punk is all pose and an excuse to play badly composed metal.

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 111
it's just not as cool right now, give it time. Somehow people made it cool to not be able to play an instrument while doing it anyway, for a while. History does repeat itself in some form, as time progresses. Some people have trouble looking past what is touted as being cool to see what is actually good. It's funny that some talented bands actually came out at the same time and place (CBGBs) as The Ramones and Blondie, but aren't discussed as much anymore. Talking Heads, anyone? Oh nevermind, their songs were comprised of more than 3 power chords and yelling.

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #4 of 111
Punk is more poetic and expressive in emotion. Metal seems flatter in this context and does not have the same level of intellect. Whilst I also enjoy the both genres, I relate better to punk as something I can link too. Metal provides the escape into a totally different world, which has all the merits of great creativity, but has a detachment, and I'd say a large majority people just don't get it.
So therefore reviewers relate better to punk and find metal too 'out there'.

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #5 of 111
Spandex. Big hair. Satanic twaddle. Macho posturing. Who knows?

But there are/were great bands: Anthrax (IIRC, they were quite accepted by punk when they started) & Metallica for 2.
But Judas Priest? Case closed.

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #6 of 111
Because punk is dead and remembered with nostalgia and metal is well alive and thriving
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #9 of 111
Because GG Allin ate his s**t, and noone can deny that's dedication. Very hardcore and respectable indeed.

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #10 of 111
'Ere hang on...John, your avatar is the same as Del_Griffith's. A boy could get confused.

Edit\ @saintalfonzo: yummy.....

And the Ig was cutting himself years ago. Wossat prove?
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #11 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Punk is more poetic and expressive in emotion. Metal seems flatter in this context and does not have the same level of intellect. Whilst I also enjoy the both genres, I relate better to punk as something I can link too. Metal provides the escape into a totally different world, which has all the merits of great creativity, but has a detachment, and I'd say a large majority people just don't get it.
So therefore reviewers relate better to punk and find metal too 'out there'.

I agree that this is the reason... The problem with this is that the quality of the music(melody) is often overlooked because the critics judge the music too much for the lyrics and the attitude of the musicians.

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #12 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'Ere hang on...John, your avatar is the same as Del_Griffith's. A boy could get confused.

Edit\ @saintalfonzo: yummy.....

And the Ig was cutting himself years ago. Wossat prove?
wink.gif

I was being sarcastic. I don't even know who the Ig is, but nothing is more disgusting than GG Allin.

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #13 of 111
LOL. I'd agree! The Ig: Iggy Pop, The Stooges. Way back when/without whom etc....
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #14 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL. I'd agree! The Ig: Iggy Pop, The Stooges. Way back when/without whom etc....
biggrin.gif

Ahh Iggy Pop... I guess I should've been able to figure that out, but I'm out of my element here.

Jun 12, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #15 of 111
i dont normally agree with critics but i absolutely hate metal, i think it's annoying noises with screaming involved where you cant even understand lyrics. earlier metal otoh are great, hell even iron maidens debut is good. and progressive sounds queer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back