Why does everyone seem to think the e5 is bass heavy?
Jun 23, 2005 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Jasper994

Organizer for Can Jam '09
I've been trying to figure this out since I got them... It seems that a good number of people are constantly refering to the E5 as bass heavy. The thing is, if you compare them to most full sized cans, the bass is just average. Consider for example the HD650. It has arguably more bass than the E5, and yet doesn't seem to carry the "bass heavy" label the E5 does. I understand that the E5 puts an emphasis on bass and mids, but that would make them "treble light" if anything, and not "bass heavy". In my opinion, to become "bass heavy" the bass has to over power the mids AND trebles. For example I could understand why someone might think the UE Super.Fi Pro is a bit on the "bass heavy" side, and the EB very much on the "bass heavy" side.

Anyway, this is just something that's been bothering me for a while since the E5 seems to get a bit of a bad rep from it.

**BTW**

To anybody that's waiting on my big review. I've had a lot going on this week and still haven't gotten over to Edwood's house to pick up the UE Super.fi EB and the Etymotic ER4s, as well as his Pimeta. I'll try and get over there later today or tomorrow so I can have the review out early next week. My most humble appologies for the delay.

Jun 23, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 27
Your "treble light" distinction makes sense; however, I've been keeping up with the E5 vs. E4 vs. UM2 vs. Super.Fi threads and I don't really recall the E5's as being labeled "bass heavy" (taken to mean exaggerated). Can you point out a specific reference? The more common context has been comparing the E5's to other earphones and, in that respect, they exhibit a fuller/richer/heavier relative bass response -- a positive characteristic! Shure E5 owners seem to really approve of the bass-mids, but many have described them as rolled off in the treble region (a weakness). That seems to be in complete agreement with your "treble light" notion.

KenB

Jun 23, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
The e4c's aren't bass heavy, and that point will be greatly exaggerated when coming from the bass-heavy e5's.

This would be one example... but there have been many many comments about the E5's being "bass heavy".

Jun 23, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 27
The HD650 is a tad bass heavy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 27
I see, but I think this is a semantical issue at its root. In context, I don't interpret Jmmmmm's comment to mean that the E5's are bass OBESE, but simply heavier than the E4's -- relatively speaking. If the E4's are bass light (I own them and agree with that characterization), then the E5's would surely be bass heavy by comparison. That doesn't imply, at least to me, that Jmmmmm, or anyone else, considers the E5's as having too much or bad quality bass which I thought was your primary question/concern.

In most relative comparison contexts with other earphones, the E5's will, indeed, be considered bass heavy -- but not in a pejorative or negative way. You would agree with that, correct?

KenB

Jun 23, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Consider for example the HD650. It has arguably more bass than the E5, and yet doesn't seem to carry the "bass heavy" label the E5 does.

I think the reason you hear more about the e5's being "bass heavy" is that there are a lot more people that have heard both the ety's and the shures. I just don't think as many people have compared the Senn 650's to something as ultra detailed as say the CD3000's or the SA5000's. This isn't to say that either the e5's or 650's are bass heavy. Its just that ultimately, everyone is going to have their own opinion on what the right amount of bass is. But if you've only experienced one type of style its harder to say if what you're listening to is accurate or not. I just think more people have experienced the drastic differences between the e5's and the ety's, and thus are able to comment on what they believe is the right sound. Personally, I do think the 650's are a bit bass heavy, but I also think the SA5000's are a little lean in the bass, especially in the the lower regions. I haven't heard the e5's so I can't comment on them, but after finally getting a good seal, I think the UM2 is just slightly bass heavy, so I imagine the e5 is at least just as heavy if not more. But like I said, I haven't listened to them.
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #9 of 27
Actually, I think that the E5 has appreciably stronger bass than does the HD650.

Jun 24, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #10 of 27
Awww, you guys actually read my posts...

I haven't heard the e5's, but all acounts say they have approximately the same amount of bass as the um2's, which I've had until very recently.

In my opinion (and with my preferences), the um2's have a bit too much bass compared to the rest of the spectrum. The e5's also have more bass than almost all other canalphones, and all other canalphones aren't considered 'bass-light', are they?
This all should be taken in context of other canalphones. It may be true in an absolute sense that the 650s have more bass, but I doubt they have more bass in respect to the rest of the spectrum. I agree, though, your 'treble light' does make sense.

I also think the um2's are far more 'bass-heavy' (I apologize for using that term again
plainface.gif
) than the ue 5pro's. The 5pros also have a forward midrange. The difference is that I don't think any details are covered up by the 5pro bass, but I do believe some details were covered up by the um2 bass.

Of course, this is all my opinion, and you are certainly free to have you own.

Jun 24, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #11 of 27
the e5s are bassy compared to other canalphones (eg e3c and er4p) which is probably where its reputation comes from. but definately not compared to full-sized cans. They have less body in the bass compared to every fullsized can I,ve heard in the same price range as the e5.

jesse

Jun 24, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #13 of 27
I agree the E5's do not sound bass heavy compared to regular full size phones. I notice more bass with my 650's, and much more bass with my DT 770-80s's. Out of the three, the only one I ever fault for having too much bass (sometimes) is the DT 770-80.

Jun 24, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Consider for example the HD650. It has arguably more bass than the E5, and yet doesn't seem to carry the "bass heavy" label the E5 does. I understand that the E5 puts an emphasis on bass and mids, but that would make them "treble light" if anything, and not "bass heavy".

Well that's like saying that the HD650 is "treble light" because my speakers put out more bass. It's all relative, and while the treble and mids of the E5 are better than many earphones, it is the bass that is its most prominent characteristic.

Jun 24, 2005 at 8:25 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm

I also think the um2's are far more 'bass-heavy' (I apologize for using that term again
plainface.gif
) than the ue 5pro's. The 5pros also have a forward midrange. The difference is that I don't think any details are covered up by the 5pro bass, but I do believe some details were covered up by the um2 bass.

Well, if you think the SF5P has less bass then the UM2 then the E5 would either be right on or "bass light", because the SF5P is even more tipped up in the bass region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back