Why does everyone seem to think the e5 is bass heavy?
Jun 24, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #16 of 27
With iPod's bass boost on and SM3s bass boost on, my E5s are virtually unlistenable for me. The unbearable rrrrrumble of the bass makes me go cross-eyed
basshead.gif
- not fun at all, really. Turning off the boosts make it just awesome, punchy bass.

Interesting thing is those same settings make the E4s shine, as they need the extra oomph from the signal.

Jun 24, 2005 at 11:55 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Well, if you think the SF5P has less bass then the UM2 then the E5 would either be right on or "bass light", because the SF5P is even more tipped up in the bass region.

It's pointless to argue about this.
The 5pros certainly have less bass than the e5....that would lead in no way to the e5's being called "right on or 'bass light'"... If anything, the 5pros would have to be called your 'treble light'. If you look at a freq response graph for the e5's (and if we could look at the 5pro one), the e5 range will be more skewed toward the bass.

Jun 25, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer
With iPod's bass boost on and SM3s bass boost on, my E5s are virtually unlistenable for me. The unbearable rrrrrumble of the bass makes me go cross-eyed
basshead.gif
- not fun at all, really. Turning off the boosts make it just awesome, punchy bass.

Interesting thing is those same settings make the E4s shine, as they need the extra oomph from the signal.

What? Do you listen to the stuff you say? You're arguing that the E5's have so much bass that they're unlistenable when you have 2 freaking bass boosts on!

Jun 25, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonadam
It would seem that the point he was trying to make was that with identical souce settings the E5s display a huge increase in bass response over the not to be dismissed E4s. Since the term bass heavy is a relative term, he was couching his experience with the E5s by relating one headphone to another.

Well crap! Everything is something relative to something else. That's not helpful. "I just can't stand those etymotic ER4's with treble boost on. They're just so bass heavy compared to my cell phone speaker." What? The E5's aren't bass heavy. They sound great on an ipod without any eq on. That means it's a quality design. Isn't that the point? If the E4's need a crapload of eq to get them to sound as good as something that doesn't need that makes them inferior because not everyone likes eq (myself included).

Jun 25, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildsponge
Well crap! Everything is something relative to something else. That's not helpful. "I just can't stand those etymotic ER4's with treble boost on. They're just so bass heavy compared to my cell phone speaker." What? The E5's aren't bass heavy. They sound great on an ipod without any eq on. That means it's a quality design. Isn't that the point? If the E4's need a crapload of eq to get them to sound as good as something that doesn't need that makes them inferior because not everyone likes eq (myself included).

i don't use the eq with my e4's. i used treble booster with the um2's, though.

you don't think they are bass heavy, i do; our opinions differ. There are also people who don't think ex71's have boomy bass...

Jun 25, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #22 of 27
Jmmmm, what styles of music do you listen to most predominantly? The reason I ask, is that I'm surprised that you like the sound of the E4 better than the UM2- which is why I'm assuming you chose to get rid of the Westones- so I'm curious as to whether it's more of a function of the musical genres you listen to, or if it's just a general sound quality judgment?

Would you say that, regardless of price, you would rather listen to the E4 rather than the super.fi's or the UM2's?

Jun 27, 2005 at 7:35 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
It's pointless to argue about this.
The 5pros certainly have less bass than the e5....that would lead in no way to the e5's being called "right on or 'bass light'"... If anything, the 5pros would have to be called your 'treble light'. If you look at a freq response graph for the e5's (and if we could look at the 5pro one), the e5 range will be more skewed toward the bass.

Am I understanding this correctly? You're saying that you feel the 5Pro has less bass than the E5?

Wait a sec, you said earlier you've never heard them...
confused.gif

Regarding the frequency response graphs: According to the graphs that UE had from doing their own testing, that's competely untrue. According to their graphs, the 5Pro had more bass, though not a huge amount. This rings true for what I hear as well. I should mention that I made a comment regarding this very thing prior to them showing me the graphs.

Jun 27, 2005 at 7:45 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by wildsponge
What? Do you listen to the stuff you say? You're arguing that the E5's have so much bass that they're unlistenable when you have 2 freaking bass boosts on!

Uh, yeah, pretty much. And no, I don't 'listen to the stuff I say'. I just type 'stuff' without having heard any of this gear.
tongue.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 7:46 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones
Jmmmm, what styles of music do you listen to most predominantly? The reason I ask, is that I'm surprised that you like the sound of the E4 better than the UM2- which is why I'm assuming you chose to get rid of the Westones- so I'm curious as to whether it's more of a function of the musical genres you listen to, or if it's just a general sound quality judgment?

Would you say that, regardless of price, you would rather listen to the E4 rather than the super.fi's or the UM2's?

i can see why jmmmmm would prefer E4 than UM2...there are sometimes i prefer listening out of E4 than E5 such as vocals and piano...but what i don't get is why jmmmmm sold the UM2 and kept the superfis...
confused.gif

well i got a pair of UM2s shipping to me as we speak, i'll do a comparison and see which pair is going to be my main canals UM2 or E5 with E4 being a backup pair
icon10.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones

Primarily rock. I listen to other things, but all judgements and decisions are made from rock. I think it's mainly a preference thing, the same reason I chose the 325i's over the 595's. While the um2's are great, I feel like the e4c's give me greater clarity and detail, which I prefer. And actually, the person who I sold them to also has e4c's, and found he preferred the e4c to the um2 for the same reason. I honestly don't think i'm qualified to say one is superior to the other, but I feel the e4c's are more balanced and give ME a more enjoyable listening experience. I also think the um2's bass is a bit too much for me. This is obviously preference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasper994
Am I understanding this correctly? You're saying that you feel the 5Pro has less bass than the E5?

Wait a sec, you said earlier you've never heard them...

Regarding the frequency response graphs: According to the graphs that UE had from doing their own testing, that's competely untrue. According to their graphs, the 5Pro had more bass, though not a huge amount. This rings true for what I hear as well. I should mention that I made a comment regarding this very thing prior to them showing me the graphs.

All accounts I've seen have said the um2 bass and e5 bass are comparable. The 5pro's have nowhere near as much bass as the um2's, imo; so, if the 5pro's have more bass than the e5's, then some people must be giving out some very unclear information about the e5's bass (compared to the um2's).

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagger333
i can see why jmmmmm would prefer E4 than UM2...there are sometimes i prefer listening out of E4 than E5 such as vocals and piano...but what i don't get is why jmmmmm sold the UM2 and kept the superfis...

Eventually, they will all be sold for custom IEMs. Well, I might keep the e4's. Unfortunately my 'custom iem fund' had to be come the 'fix my car fund', so I dont know when that's going to happen...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back