why does desoldering braid work like crap?
Dec 21, 2004 at 6:48 AM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrawn86
tangent's boards are dual sided (thicker, and slimmer holes). makes it an absolute pita to desolder any which way. now normal protoboards, no problem.

Too true, i find the best way is to get the part out with some dental floss + heaps of soldier + heat, and then use braid to clean up the holes.

I always had a hella hard time cleaning up the holes, but today i just did 12 of them fairly easily. First use braid for a good few seconds, to soak up as much soldier as possible, and then push through a lead of a resistor or something while heating the hole, clean up more solder, heat up the join and take the resistor out, and clean up the last of the solder. Worked beaut for me.

Rob.

Dec 21, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #32 of 40
I found a way to clear holes on tangent's boards also. Heat hole, push toothpick through. Solder doesn't stick to wood in the same way it sticks to metal... it falls off the wood of the toothpick with a bit of poking. Voila! The hole is clear!

Dec 23, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
I found a way to clear holes on tangent's boards also. Heat hole, push toothpick through. Solder doesn't stick to wood in the same way it sticks to metal... it falls off the wood of the toothpick with a bit of poking. Voila! The hole is clear!

There you go, ghetto solution wins!
biggrin.gif

If it works, it works, right?

-Ed

Dec 23, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #35 of 40
I believe the coatings on Solderwik decline in effectiveness with exposure to the air over time. It’s shipped in metal cans with sealed pull top lids like a Pringles can.

I’ve got a 10-bobbin can here that says:
“ Vacuum processed and sealed in an inert gas blanket for freshness and quality”

I’ve got several large spools that just don’t work anymore but I’ve had them for 6 years or more. So freshness in your wik counts.

Mitch

Dec 23, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by SHLim
Is there such thing as good desoldering braid and bad desoldering braid, or all desoldering braid is the same?

Sam

There are different sizes (thickness of wire) and some contain flux. Choose the size according to your intended use. I find that the braid containing flux works better.

Dec 23, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turing
I find braid works better if you pull it apart a little bit before using it. Increases the surface area and it seems to work better.

Agreed with this. Though nothing works like a toothpick for clearing plugged holes. Even a solder sucker is harder!

Dec 23, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #39 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
Agreed with this. Though nothing works like a toothpick for clearing plugged holes. Even a solder sucker is harder!

When it comes to a Solder Sucker, size does matter.

I had a cute little metal one, but it sucked. Not in a good way.

I bought a cheap plastic one that is huge in comparison, and it sucks great! Of course, it is a little unwieldly to use sometimes. But the suction is strong enough to suck away solder at a bit of a distance at least. By a bit, I mean like 4mm.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back