why does desoldering braid work like crap?
Dec 19, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #16 of 40
Very 2am, but no one mentions it: Pick some solid wire that just fits the hole. Reinforce the extra to hang onto so it won't buckle. Or use plyers and a scrap resistor lead. Securely clamp the board, and pick the direction to push to avoid pad damage. Heat the hole, plunge the wire through pushing obstacles out. Clean up both sides with braid as much as feasible. Now reheat and slip out the wire, using iron tip to support pad that could damage.

I've done this on protoboard, which is extremely fragile, and ended up with a circuit that worked. Certainly the long way around the mountain if one is good and has the right tools, but who's good and has the right tools at 2am?

I like the blast of compressed air. I had the can and didn't think of it...

Dec 19, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #17 of 40
a really cheezy way I like to desolder sometimes is with one hand (or someone else holding) I put the tip on the pad with the solder. As soon as the solder starts to become liquid, I quickly pull the pin, lead etc. out of the hole while the solder is still liquid. lol, its kinda stupid, but I've found it to work in certain situations in which I just cant get rid of the solder around the lead, pin etc.

Dec 19, 2004 at 4:14 PM Post #18 of 40
The wire trick sometimes works, but make sure to get all the excess solder away first. If not the whole will just keep closing up as you remove the wire. A can of compressed air should also work.

Dec 19, 2004 at 4:30 PM Post #19 of 40
Desoldering braid works just fine, even better than a solder sucker, at least for me. The key is to make sure your soldering iron tip is properly tinned and that you allow the braid to heat up sufficiently. Just like getting a consistently good solder joint, it takes practice and technique.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamslacker
Put more solder onto the pad and let it seep into the hole. Then place the desoldering wick onto the top of the pad and heat up with the iron. Try to maneuver the tip so that more area is in contact with the wick.

Excellent braid advice.

Dec 19, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #20 of 40
If you do not have a solder sucker, you can heat up the solder in the hole with the iron and blow hard through a drinking straw. Does the same thing. Be very careful though and don't burn yourself. Depending on the solder you are using it might solidify quicker than you can blow it out. A little practice will get you there. Works elsewhere too, but be careful not to have the solder fly around and short something else. Helps if you block the end of the straw with your tongue, build up pressure in your mouth and release the tongue to give a short powerful burst. Works for me..... I have had better luck with a sucker than with braid. Perhaps, because I started using a sucker and perfected the technique ( did not even see a braid for many years after I started soldering, it was not that common where I grew up )

Dec 19, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
using this braid is impossible to pull this damn socket out. it's not getting all the solder out.

You need liquid flux. Just put a drop or two around the pad and a little on the wick.

Dec 19, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
You need liquid flux. Just put a drop or two around the pad and a little on the wick.

Exactly.

Make sure to put a little blob of solder on the end of your iron's tip to that it aids in conducting heat to the wick.

-Ed

Dec 19, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #24 of 40
Same here, had lots of trouble with it....Then suddenly I found it to work great!

I had a dodgy tip on my iron too, didn't seem to work properly holding the tip direct on the braid. Tilt it a little and use the side edge right by the tip and it was much better.

Dec 19, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #25 of 40
I using a fine tips and find it hard to desolder with desolder braid. A bit of solder at the end of the tips helps but the main problem is the tip being too fine to transfer heat across. Tilt the iron a bit also help but I can't do this all the time as some board is very cramp. I plan to get a soldering station so that I can swap tips and adjust the temperature.

Dec 19, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by SHLim
I using a fine tips and find it hard to desolder with desolder braid. A bit of solder at the end of the tips helps but the main problem is the tip being too fine to transfer heat across. Tilt the iron a bit also help but I can't do this all the time as some board is very cramp. I plan to get a soldering station so that I can swap tips and adjust the temperature.

Buy a soldering station and desolder between 350c - 450c

Heat is your friend.

Dec 20, 2004 at 4:55 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Heat is your friend.

Unless you burn yourself
wink.gif

I have heaps of trouble desoldering stuff from boards like tangents, where the solder goes right through the hole. I ended up ruining a panasonic pot try to rip it out.

Rob.

Dec 20, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #28 of 40
If you have a small board that you can pick up, heat up the offending hole and rap it gently on a piece of cardboard. The mechanical shock will generally cause the liquid solder to clear the hole (check for stray solder; if you have a very tight board with a lot of traces, you may want to pass on this technique).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back